Can Kam Martin be "The Guy" in 2018?

WFE12

Just now, bigbird said:

I see him having 15-17 primary rush attempts.  You have to figure ~ 7 of those are dives up the middle on 1st

Unless he gets much better in pass pro he might not be on the field in 3rd downs to run the 1st down dive.  

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I expect Kam to have 15-17 touches a game.  13 primary rush and 3-4 “other” touches.  

I don’t see us having 50 rushes a game except in blowouts.  I would guess somewhere around 35-40 rushes and passes per game.  Lean on Stidham.  Boobie, Asa, and Barrett will get the other 15-20 touches

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I see him having 15-17 primary rush attempts.  You have to figure ~ 7 of those are dives up the middle on 1st

Either of these possibilities would be a great scenario IMO. 

1 hour ago, logan adams said:

I just have my doubts. I hope that I'm proven wrong!

I understand the concerns. If Gus tires to run him 30 times a game, it could be bad. I think he can be a 15-18 carry a game guy for sure. What I think works in his favor is how quickly he hits holes. He usually darts past the big bullies before getting hit. WDE???

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The year KMart avg 7.3 ypc?

On 44 carries against Alabama A&M, ULM, Mississippi State, a murder scene against Arkansas, and Alabama A&M. Yes, that year.

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I understand the concerns. If Gus tires to run him 30 times a game, it could be bad. I think he can be a 15-18 carry a game guy for sure. What I think works in his favor is how quickly he hits holes. He usually darts past the big bullies before getting hit. WDE???

Yep, just like it was for KJ and KP. 

There's not a back on the roster that should get more than 20 carries a game this season, and there aren't any who couldn't handle at least 15. 

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

And this is what I expect, and is definitely realistic. I don't consider a man that totes it just 15 times to be "The Guy". I'm expecting a even split among carries between 2-3 runningbacks.

11 minutes ago, logan adams said:

On 44 carries against Alabama A&M, ULM, Mississippi State, a murder scene against Arkansas, and Alabama A&M. Yes, that year.

You mean his freshman...When he was ~ 165 lbs? 

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You mean his freshman...When he was ~ 165 lbs? 

Not to mention sharing carries with Pettway and Johnson (among others that year). 

2 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Not to mention sharing carries with Pettway and Johnson (among others that year). 

And this year there will be even more getting carries... We're going to have a committee.

K-Mart will be the starter today.  If his body holds up through camp he will be the starter game 1.  Don’t know why there is this much discussion.  He’s far and away the best back on the team today.  By the end of the year I expect Boobie and Asa to have gained a lot of experience.

13 minutes ago, logan adams said:

And this is what I expect, and is definitely realistic. I don't consider a man that totes it just 15 times to be "The Guy". I'm expecting a even split among carries between 2-3 runningbacks.

Nick Chubb and Sony Michel both ran it roughly 15 times a game. Whether or not you carry it enough to be The Guy has little to do with whether or not you *can* be.

Kam Martin can carry the ball as many times as we want to give it to him. Hopefully we are smarter, though, than to give anyone- including "big guys" like Malik Miller or Harold Joiner- 30 carries a game. The point isn't the size of the RB. They're all equally susceptible to injury. 

We can take a committee approach and still have “the guy.” In fact, I hope we do.

At this point Kam’s gonna be the 1000 yard rusher regardless of how we run him, but he will have a much better season at 15 carries a game with solid contributions from RB2 and 3. I think everybody agrees on that

1 minute ago, AUDevil said:

Kam is a great 4th quarter back and change of pace guy...he's not the workhorse this offense needs tho.  sorry.

OMG, NOT the whirlybird offense!?!?

Just kidding....just kidding....

I think most agree, he's probably not a prototypical work horse but we're all hoping Gus/Chip will use thUga's RB model this year.

12 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

We can take a committee approach and still have “the guy.” In fact, I hope we do.

At this point Kam’s gonna be the 1000 yard rusher regardless of how we run him, but he will have a much better season at 15 carries a game with solid contributions from RB2 and 3. I think everybody agrees on that

Precisely.

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Kam is a great 4th quarter back

Image result for brendan fraser laughing gif

and change of pace guy...he's not the workhorse this offense needs tho.  sorry.

Image result for tommy lee jones angry gif

41 minutes ago, logan adams said:

And this year there will be even more getting carries... We're going to have a committee.

Each of the last 3 years we've had 6 players with 30 carries or more on the season.  Isn't that considered running back by committee?  One of those was Sean White where sacks are recorded as running plays.  Also each of the last 3 years we've had one or 2 primary backs that have gotten the bulk of the carries.   I fully expect someone to emerge and get a significant number of carries.    So basically, pretty much like the last 3 years.  Last year Georgia also had 6 players with 30 carries or more.  I imagine its pretty similiar for most teams in the SEC.    It's clear you don't like Kam Martin as a full time back, but you've offered zero concrete evidence that suggests he can't be the go to back for this offense.  

10 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

Each of the last 3 years we've had 6 players with 30 carries or more on the season.  Isn't that considered running back by committee?  One of those was Sean White where sacks are recorded as running plays.  Also each of the last 3 years we've had one or 2 primary backs that have gotten the bulk of the carries.   I fully expect someone to emerge and get a significant number of carries.    So basically, pretty much like the last 3 years.  Last year Georgia also had 6 players with 30 carries or more.  I imagine its pretty similiar for most teams in the SEC.    It's clear you don't like Kam Martin as a full time back, but you've offered zero concrete evidence that suggests he can't be the go to back for this offense.  

I've yet to really see anyone prove how he can be. I personally think his size and history of injuries prevents him from being the all-purpose go-to back.

• 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, logan adams said:

No. As I said, and proven. War damn Boobee. 

Proven? No. He played well and is a good changeup to Kam, but Kam still needs 17 carries and Whitlow 12.

10 minutes ago, logan adams said:

No. As I said, and proven. War damn Boobee. 

22 for 88yds  3.6avg

8 for 28yds   3.5 avg

Yeah, that's a huge difference. BTW, Boobie is still dancing. The biggest factor is the lack of OL push.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

22 for 88yds  3.6avg

8 for 28yds   3.5 avg

Yeah, that's a huge difference. BTW, Boobie is still dancing. The biggest factor is the lack of OL push.

Can’t discount Kam caught the ball well out of the backfield either.

Archived