Can Kam Martin be "The Guy" in 2018?

WFE12

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with some that Kam's vision was suspect this game as he ran INTO tackles when he had space to work with at times but this overall performance is on the OL.

Grimes has A LOT of work to do to undo the softness Hand had instilled.

I still think KMart has a chance to be very good.

And as pointed out, he played tough...good catching the ball and seemed to protect fine.

I think KMart will be successful behind a very good O-line. I don´t think we saw a very good O-line against WA today. He is a breakaway runner who I think would be more successful running on sweeps & jet sweeps. He reminds me of Onterio McCaleb. We definitely need him (along with Whitlow) and the O-line to step up their game. Our rushing game seems to be the weak spot in our offense right now, which is very unusual for an AU team.

Just now, Dan-0 said:

I think KMart will be successful behind a very good O-line. I don´t think we saw that a very good O-line against WA today. He is a breakaway runner who I think would be more successful running on sweeps & jet sweeps. He reminds me of Onterio McCaleb. We definitely need him (along with Whitlow) and the O-line to step up their game. Our rushing game seems to be the weak spot in our offense right now, which is very unusual for an AU team.

He's much more versatile than McCaleb. Need the offensive line to improve before making much of an evaluation on our backs. I thought Kam and Boobie both did some things well tonight, but neither looked like "the guy" to me. Definitely don't see the depth chart changing after tonight though. Kam's ability in the passing game is super valuable.

7 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

He's much more versatile than McCaleb. Need the offensive line to improve before making much of an evaluation on our backs. I thought Kam and Boobie both did some things well tonight, but neither looked like "the guy" to me. Definitely don't see the depth chart changing after tonight though. Kam's ability in the passing game is super valuable.

Same here . Boobie looked slow . Cam showed zero patience. Did Martin run the ball ? 

8 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Boobie displayed the ability to make his own hole.   That burst into the end zone for the winning TD....JMO but if KAM had been the ball carrier, , we probably would have ended up kicking a FG and holding on for dear life. 

Just now, AU64 said:

Boobie displayed the ability to make his own hole.   That burst into the end zone for the winning TD....JMO but if KAM had been the ball carrier, , we probably would have ended up kicking a FG and holding on for dear life. 

I have no prob with Boobie being the goal line back. 

At some point this week I'd like to watch the game again and pay better attention to the backs.

O-line isn't great, but I think the 3 that played last year were worse than Kim and Driscoll.  Whitlow is a bigger load and runs harder against contact that Kam.  Kam is ok, but needs more blocking to get going.  Shivers will be good.  Why run Cox?  Why run the wildcat the first time?  We were doing great on offense.  I understand running Wildcat on 3rd down to get the first in the 2nd half with Whitlow.

Play calling was erratic and we've got a long way to go.  Defense stood up when it was required and they only scored on a freak catch.  And a freak throw that stuck in the receivers gut a play or two before that.  GM still has too much stink on the playcalling.  2 point conversion?  WTF? WHY?

I think Kam and Jarrett have a lot more chemistry with each other which is an often forgotten piece of the puzzle. Kam’s handoffs are taken clean, he’s always in the right position, and seems to be more consistent in chip blocks, check downs, and north-south running.

Kam can be a great back but he will not be the feature back unless we go full finesse offense. Gus wants a traditional Auburn back that’s physical and can carry 20-30 times a game. Someone that can push the pile very physical, will wear the defense out.

1 minute ago, sevenlee36 said:

Kam can be a great back but he will not be the feature back unless we go full finesse offense. Gus wants a traditional Auburn back that’s physical and can carry 20-30 times a game. Someone that can push the pile very physical, will wear the defense out.

Kam ran it 22 times today

He’s ok, but we’re not going to be able to lean on our running game with him. To be fair, I didn’t see one of those play today. It’s going to be a pass to set up the run kind of year.

2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

He’s ok, but we’re not going to be able to lean on our running game with him. To be fair, I didn’t see one of those play today. It’s going to be a pass to set up the run kind of year.

Our backs will go with the offensive line. We will improve in the running game. Too early to say who we can and can't lean on.

The jury is still out on Kam. I think he can be an a complete back. He can run between the tackles and he can catch the ball out of the backfield. I was disappointed in a few things I saw today. On several plays I thought the OL caused him problems but I also saw him miss a hole and trip up a few times. He looked slow to me which is crazy because I know he is not slow. A lot to be fixed with the running game and not just the running backs. 

1 hour ago, Dan-0 said:

I think KMart will be successful behind a very good O-line. I don´t think we saw a very good O-line against WA today. He is a breakaway runner who I think would be more successful running on sweeps & jet sweeps. He reminds me of Onterio McCaleb. We definitely need him (along with Whitlow) and the O-line to step up their game. Our rushing game seems to be the weak spot in our offense right now, which is very unusual for an AU team.

I was thinking that earlier. His speed is so similar. I hope Chip will use KMart's abilities wisely. 

Thinking about past backs, I can't think of many in the past few years that would've been much of an improvement over Kam today.  There were a couple misses today, but for the most part, there was not a lot of room to run.  

Archived