Can Kam Martin be "The Guy" in 2018?

WFE12

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This may or may not have been said, I didn't read all of the prior posts but, how are you guys differentiating between the 2 backs? They both had some good runs and they both struggled. They both broke tackles, neither one fumbled. I think many of you are just saying what you were THINKING before the game. That is you want a bigger guy at hb. And that's your prerogative but I don't see how any conclusions can be made after this particular game.

100% agreed.

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That's a tough comparison.  That OL Tre had was awesome.

Oh I agree a talented oline makes it look easier. Our oline didn’t look that bad last night considering all the new starters on it. Hand would of had us sacked 20+ times. They did solid but I hope the ceiling is higher.

I think we have a better idea of what we have with Kam. I don’t think we can judge Whitlow off of 8 carries, as a freshman, first game, new oline, bright lights etc. Whitlow could be the best back Auburn has had in years? Too early to tell but it’s going to be fun finding out who that next great back is. Asa, Whitlow, Shivers ... exciting. 

The best run of the night was the TD run by Whitlow.  Great 2nd effort to get into the end zone.   I think that's where his support is coming from.  I don't think we have an RB on the roster who can run through walls, but we have a bunch of guys who will do well when the OL opens holes.   Kam did just fine last night.  80 yds on 22 carries against a stout defense.  So did Whitlow.   We need a better push up front, but it was encouraging that we ran better late when we really needed it.  Teams will have to respect our passing game, so they won't be able to stack the box.  We will run well against the weaker teams.  And light them up through the air.  Can we run against Alabama and Georgia?  Our OL will have to be better than they are now, but I believe they will be.  I hope we have RB by committee. It's safer when you have injuries, and multiple guys get good game experience.  I hope Gus will resist his tendency to run the one guy he trusts the most 35 times.  Kam and Whitlow both bring something to the party.  40/40/20 split mentioned earlier is the right way to go. 

3 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

The best run of the night was the TD run by Whitlow.  

Coincidentally, it was the best run blocking of the night too.  Loved his effort to get in.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

This may or may not have been said, I didn't read all of the prior posts but, how are you guys differentiating between the 2 backs? They both had some good runs and they both struggled. They both broke tackles, neither one fumbled. I think many of you are just saying what you were THINKING before the game. That is you want a bigger guy at hb. And that's your prerogative but I don't see how any conclusions can be made after this particular game.

One of these guys was running for the first time...first action and delivered on 2 crucial 3rd downs with the game on the line. He’s a got a promising future.

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Coincidentally, it was the best run blocking of the night too.  Loved his effort to get in.

Finally got to see a behind center view of that run today.  Really great blocking and play call against the zone.

If I had time to waste I would go back and drag up over the last 10 years all the folks that were worried about our runners being to small ( compared to uat, uga and LSU ) and then show you all this 1000 yard rushers we have had comparedto those teams. SMH. I promise once this OL get gelled we will not hurt at RB position. 

33 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

One of these guys was running for the first time...first action and delivered on 2 crucial 3rd downs with the game on the line. He’s a got a promising future.

Yes, that's more timing than anything. They both have bright futures, but yesterday they were both so so

Bottom line.

Auburn's two main backs, playing behind a reconstructed offensive line in the first game of the season,  had a combined 30 carries for 108 yards-3.6 yards per tote- against a defense returning 9 starters off the 2017 squad that led the nation in rush defense, allowing 92 yards per game and 2.6 yards per carry.

To be disappointed in last night's rush game is folly.

Just now, SumterAubie said:

Bottom line.

Auburn's two main backs, playing behind a reconstructed offensive line in the first game of the season,  had a combined 30 carries for 108 yards-3.6 yards per tote- against a defense returning 9 starters off the 2017 squad that led the nation in rush defense, allowing 92 yards per game and 2.6 yards per carry.

Thanks for the perspective . People act like we faced Louisville and had this performance lol 

37 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Bottom line.

I love this comment.

1 hour ago, Tiger Scout said:

Whitlow looks to be emerging as clear leader. He will be a beast next year. He is as good as Martin now as a freshmen

loss_for_words.gif

Based on the tiny sample size that is yesterday's game, if I were to make a blanket "player name" will be the starter later in the year, I'd go with Worm.  2nd best run of the game and it included every aspect we could want...speed, toughness, north-south running, fighting for the first down.

.....but alas he only got the 1 run so....

Just now, AUsince72 said:

Based on the tiny sample size that is yesterday's game, if I were to make a blanket "player name" will be the starter later in the year, I'd go with Worm.  2nd best run of the game and it included every aspect we could want...speed, toughness, north-south running, fighting for the first down.

.....but alas he only got the 1 run so....

Seriously showed so much in that one run. That kid is physical.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Seriously showed so much in that one run. That kid is physical.

Outta Likes so:

"BIG TIME!!!"

Archived