Can Kam Martin be "The Guy" in 2018?

WFE12

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, first of all the same reason that JS had pretty good success in the passing game was the reason we had mediocre success at running. It called taking what the defense gives you. AU is billed as a run first team so basically UW stacked the box a lot. Safety coming up and all. With our QB and receiving Corp doing well future opponents will have to play more pass protection and the run game will improve. As far as RBs I’m sure KM was Gus’s choice due to experience to start and he did well. I truly believe Chip and Gus will continue RB by committee. Think next week you’ll see lots of Worm and Asa also. Probably see more jetsweeps as well with the Freshmen. Last night was a close game with a great opponent, not a time to be doing OJT with the younger guys. There is too much talent on the bench to let it sit. WDE

It looked like Kam was starting to get into a rhythm at some point. He needs to be running sweeps, slants, and counters though. Not dives and iso runs.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

It looked like Kam was starting to get into a rhythm at some point. He needs to be running sweeps, slants, and counters though. Not dives and iso runs.

Agreed. Play to his strengths!

Did some stat diving. Last year only 3 running backs ran for more yards against Washington’s defense than kam did this game: Royce freeman, Bryce love, and Saquan Barkley. I’d say he’s in pretty good company. Along with his 5 catches he was over 110 total yards. He will get better and I think Boobie can take some carries to give him some breathers. Don’t light the pitchforks yet. ? War Eagle ? 

Just now, tbone1430 said:

Did some stat diving. Last year only 3 running backs ran for more yards against Washington’s defense than kam did this game: Royce freeman, Bryce love, and Saquan Barkley. I’d say he’s in pretty good company. Along with his 5 catches he was over 110 total yards. He will get better and I think Boobie can take some carries to give him some breathers. Don’t light the pitchforks yet. ? War Eagle ? 

Nice digging! Thought Kam did fine and never looked undersized.

Tre Mason only had 73yrds in Wazzou game back in 2013.  I think he ended up ok that season.  Give the Oline another week and Kam will be slicing and dicing defenses.  

20 hours ago, bigbird said:

Based on what?

Based on my opinion ;) 

I think Whitlow is more explosive and runs between the tackles better - which is our bread and butter on early downs. Kam is a good 3rd down back. 

Besides, you know Malzahn has had our best back at 2nd or 3rd string at beginning of season before. 

1 hour ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Based on my opinion ;) 

I think Whitlow is more explosive and runs between the tackles better - which is our bread and butter on early downs. Kam is a good 3rd down back. 

Besides, you know Malzahn has had our best back at 2nd or 3rd string at beginning of season before. 

I agree completely.  Once he gets a few more games under his belt, he's going to be hard to deal with.  I really loved this decision by him to charge ahead for 3-1/2 more yards...I thought he was about to reverse field like he did in ADay and started to cringe.

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 12.57.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-03 at 12.58.02 PM.png

On 9/2/2018 at 11:55 AM, cole256 said:

This may or may not have been said, I didn't read all of the prior posts but, how are you guys differentiating between the 2 backs? They both had some good runs and they both struggled. They both broke tackles, neither one fumbled. I think many of you are just saying what you were THINKING before the game. That is you want a bigger guy at hb. And that's your prerogative but I don't see how any conclusions can be made after this particular game.

100% correct.

Boobee had a couple great plays. He did not show himself to be the better RB. Not saying he isn't, but there's nothing on film supporting that claim.

We should realistically hold off til like game 4 or 5 to really make claims as to who is best at anything. IMO the jury is still out on all the RBs. We need a bigger sample size.

The LSU game will be the marker for the rest of the season. We'll need all hands on deck fighting 110% for that game. Win or lose, only then will we know what we really have to improve on (besides the obvious).

13 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Hasn't really been said, but we should be praising all of our backs for holding onto the football. Everyone seemed to be doing a good job of covering it up. 

Agree whole heartedly. The no turnovers were absolutely huge and you could tell it was worked on in practice in preseason.

4 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Agree whole heartedly. The no turnovers were absolutely huge and you could tell it was worked on in practice in preseason.

Maybe it was just me, but there seemed to be a few times I can remember bracing myself for a fumble just based on how we were holding the ball in traffic. One KM? run in particular (seemed like one of his longer runs) it appeared he was just leaving it out there for someone to put a hat on. Hard to complain about the possibility of fumbling since we had no turnovers though. 

28 minutes ago, autigers1101 said:

Maybe it was just me, but there seemed to be a few times I can remember bracing myself for a fumble just based on how we were holding the ball in traffic. One KM? run in particular (seemed like one of his longer runs) it appeared he was just leaving it out there for someone to put a hat on. Hard to complain about the possibility of fumbling since we had no turnovers though. 

think the only time I remember saying something like that was on one of Nate Craig Meyer's catch and runs. 

Also, the Auburn offense vs. Washington defense video is a good one to watch for those wanting to take a look at the running backs:

I felt like both backs were more or less even after watching the game, but I'm even more impressed by Kam's performance after watching this video. Whitlow is very talented, but still very raw. Kam is in my opinion, the more polished back. He also pass protected better than Whitlow - which we all know is a big deal to Gus. 

17 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

think the only time I remember saying something like that was on one of Nate Craig Meyer's catch and runs. 

Also, the Auburn offense vs. Washington defense video is a good one to watch for those wanting to take a look at the running backs:

I felt like both backs were more or less even after watching the game, but I'm even more impressed by Kam's performance after watching this video. Whitlow is very talented, but still very raw. Kam is in my opinion, the more polished back. He also pass protected better than Whitlow - which we all know is a big deal to Gus. 

Idk about you but I keep replaying that hit on Gaskin by Daniel.. Can't get past it.

from an ability standpoint, asa martin is the best back we have....i guess he needs to learn pass protections, and he did fumble a bit in HS.....he will be our feature back at some point in the future

7 hours ago, doverstutts said:

from an ability standpoint, asa martin is the best back we have....i guess he needs to learn pass protections, and he did fumble a bit in HS.....he will be our feature back at some point in the future

At one point it was said by coaches that he was the best pass protector.

Kam did well all things considered. Instead of ramming him up the gut as often (some is good, but there's a line) he can get some of those touches via the pass game IMO. Boobie looked like a freshman -- up and down. Shivers' run was my favorite of the day though. Of course, just 1 run though.

I'm worried about our run game.  I'm worried about our O-line, and our backs.  I don't see a Tre Mason, Kam Pettway, or Kerryon Johnson lookalike back there.  I see a bunch of backs who need to limit their carries throughout the season in order to stay healthy.

I hope yall are right, and I'm wrong.  I'm sure we'll run strong against the glorified high school team coming to collect a paycheck this Saturday.  Seven days after that will tell us much more of the truth.  And if we run strong against LSU and their huge defensive line, I'll be glad to come back here and gladly say that I was wrong.

And I'm not saying our run game is bad.  But I expected more than 3.3 yards per rush against Washington, regardless of their good defense.

59 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

But I expected more than 3.3 yards per rush against Washington, regardless of their good defense.

What did you expect our defense to surrender in regards to YPC

On 7/23/2018 at 10:37 PM, tbone1430 said:

Only thing that worries me about him is fumbles. He's fumbled 3 times in 118 attempts in 2 years whereas kerryon did 3 times in the past 2 years but had around 450 carries. Hope he can hold onto the ball and pass pro well. I see him being a 15-20 carries guy but definitely not what we are accustomed to with kerryon and kp. Maybe thats a good thing so we dont run them into the ground as in years past. Hopefully Boobie or someone else can step up as a reliable backup. 

I really do not see 3 fumbles out of 118 carries being too bad of a problem, but you are right in that he can do a better job holding onto the rock.  I really think we will see a tandem of him and boobie getting about the same amount of carries each game (12-15 each) I think Asa and Worm will be the backs this year like Kam was last .year to a degree. I think Chip and Gus will find ways to bring Asa & Worm into the game at the right times to throw a huge wrench into defenses. I think Worm is going to have some big runs this season. Asa will bring a lot to the table as well.

I cannot wait till Schwartz gets into a game with the jet sweep and burns some defenses big time!

Archived