Interesting article about CFB message boards

auburnspice

Interesting and funny...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24011044/message-boards-texags-tigerdroppings-keep-college-football-weird

When the thread "Tua-Language Barrier" appeared on the Alabama message board BamaOnLine last September, its poster, a user by the name of Chattown Tider, truly did believe he was onto something. He had just watched Crimson Tide quarterback Tua Tagovailoa play in his first college game against Fresno State and what he saw worried him. So he posed the question: What if Tagovailoa didn't understand English, seeing as he was from, you know, Hawaii?

He was, as he put it, only addressing the "elephant in the room."

"I thought I saw him point to receivers a couple of times," he wrote, "and defenses might catch on if he's pointing to who he's going to throw the ball to. The only time I've been out of the country is when I was shipped to Nam and I was as confused as a yankee learning to square dance."

For a moment, it was as if the entire internet had to pick its jaw up off the ground. If there was ever peak message board material, this was it. A screenshot of the post spread like wildfire across social media. "I can't tell if this is a serious post or not, but either way it's one of the greatest things I've ever read," Bleedcrimson wrote in the comments.

The same was true for TiderInsider founder Rodney Orr, who once had coach Dennis Franchione call him the Friday before the Iron Bowl to personally refute a rumor that he was leaving Alabama for Texas A&M.

Within a minute of Orr posting the news, the entire page was flooded with responses. And a few days later, when Franchione did in fact leave, the board went into a full-on meltdown.

Archived