2018 Women's Soccer

aucanucktiger

1-1 HT. With ULL playing 5 at the back, AU is going to have to create space or score on the corners they are earning. They had 7 corners in the half and many because good chances. 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GOAL! It had to come. AU with all the possession in the second half and lots of chances. This comes off the foot of Bri Folds from the top left part of the box. She lifts a ball over the keeper into the back right corner. 

2-1 AU 21’ 2H

GOAL! Heron takes a pass from Whittaker just about 8 yards out. Almost puts it too far out with her first touch but able to get a right foot on it and slide it past the keeper.

3-1 AU 8’ 2 H

GOAL! The flood gate have opened ULL have tried to get the ball forward with no success. Ang Daly takes a Ball from midfield, runs it right up the middle to the top of the circle on the box, puts it on her left foot, and laces a screamer into the upper left 90.

4-1 4’ 2H

4-1 AU FT. Just all AU in that one. Good to see them figure out how to break through the 5 man back line and put some nice goals in. 

16 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

The freshman Daly has a special left foot. Another beautiful strike tonight. 

Her right foot can do it as well. She took a couple of shots on her right foot, but they were too high. She's a very pleasant surprise in the midfield and will score a lot of goals.

Ladies moved up to #17 in th coaches poll this week. Still too early to tell just how good they are, but this weekend’s trip to California might be a good indicator.

A personal friend, who is the mother of one of our players (Gianna Montini) is seriously ill.   Gianna and her family all need our prayers as her mother fights cancer.   They live in California and hope that G gets to spend some time with her mom this week while the team is on the west coast. .

Hate to hear that.  That is tough on a college kid.  Will keep them in mind.

The games this weekend, particularly Friday, showed a team that seems to have better technical abilities than the past and can score in different manners than simply direct play.  Of course it could have been the opponents, particularly how bunkered in the Louisiana was Sunday.

It was cool watching Folds try and place shots over the keeper.  It took her about 3 trys to finally hit that far top 90.  She is a better player than I remember.  She definitely commanded Auburn's play moving into the offense.  Daly has a cannon and she is a threat to score anywhere within 30 yards.  Troutman isn't afraid to crank a long range shot either.  I was impressed at how coach got a lot of folks on to the field.  The newcomers have made a difference - of course at the expense of some of the players that saw more time last year. 

I'm not sure I love the 3-5-2, but if teams are going to play defensively then maybe that'll be the way to go - Not sure that is a permanent change or just for these games.  

It was interesting, when Louisiana changed from a 5 man back to a 4-3-3 at the end of the game, we immediately punished them for a couple of goals.  Their kids were toast also.  We had more depth and their lack of possession and our side to side play hurt their legs.

9 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Hate to hear that.  That is tough on a college kid.  Will keep them in mind.

The games this weekend, particularly Friday, showed a team that seems to have better technical abilities than the past and can score in different manners than simply direct play.  Of course it could have been the opponents, particularly how bunkered in the Louisiana was Sunday.

It was cool watching Folds try and place shots over the keeper.  It took her about 3 trys to finally hit that far top 90.  She is a better player than I remember.  She definitely commanded Auburn's play moving into the offense.  Daly has a cannon and she is a threat to score anywhere within 30 yards.  Troutman isn't afraid to crank a long range shot either.  I was impressed at how coach got a lot of folks on to the field.  The newcomers have made a difference - of course at the expense of some of the players that saw more time last year. 

I'm not sure I love the 3-5-2, but if teams are going to play defensively then maybe that'll be the way to go - Not sure that is a permanent change or just for these games.  

It was interesting, when Louisiana changed from a 5 man back to a 4-3-3 at the end of the game, we immediately punished them for a couple of goals.  Their kids were toast also.  We had more depth and their lack of possession and our side to side play hurt their legs.

Do you think the 3-5-2 is causing opposing coaches to fill the box defensively? At least start off that way until they realize the ball is never crossing center field lol? 

Not Sunday’s game.  Louisiana simply went “park the bus”.  Apparently, according to the announcers, that coach will use early non-conf games to tweak his team and isn’t super concerned about results.  He may have been experimenting with his team.  I think he thought it was his best chance to win against AU.  For the first half it seemed reasonable but fell apart at the hour mark 

Really nice chances towards the end of half.  CSF keeper doing a nice job. 

Didn’t get to see much of the first half, was trying to get upstairs AC working (no go), but I did see a glorious chance missed right at the end of the half. 

Second half has been sloppy for AU. Fairly good possession numbers, but lots of turnovers in the midfield. That said, Bri Folds might have just put it away collecting a ball behind the defense and sliding it past the keeper to make it 2-0 AU. About 9’ to go. 

2-0 AU FT. Good to get the win on the opener of this road trip. Don’t think it was their best game in terms of ball control but a clean sheet and a couple of goals will always be a great result.

From what saw in the first half, the ball control was pretty good along with some nice passing. I just couldn't stay up after half time.  Glad they put it away. 

Auburn ladies remain undefeated by taking down Long Beach State tonight 1-0 on the west coast.  

Scored sometime in the early part of the first half and then went on defense thereafter to pick up the win.     I just watched off and on and never saw LB make much of a threat.....and score seemed to reflect what I saw in the way of play.... 

They will be back in Auburn for some home field action next week. 

I didn’t get to watch, but I’m so happy for Montini getting to goal while in Cali for her mom. Can’t speak to the play today, but the season is off to a good start for sure. I’ve watched a few other games and I haven’t seen other team since that AU can’t hang with, but the SEC is really going to be tough this year it seems. 

Yep...that was more than "special"......something for her to remember...always...

The number by AU’s name in the score graphic keeps getting smaller as now #10 AU takes on Cincy in Auburn. Cincy got the first one after a penalty was called on Daly in the box and the resulting PK was placed in the right corner opposite the dive of LeBeau. But Auburn answered rather quickly as Aycock put one past the keeper about a minute later on a nice pass (didn’t see who).

Second half is underway with the score still 1-1. AU is playing without Jaylen Gaston which is hurting the attack a bit. 

35’ to go. 

Handball in the box on Cincy on a shot by Folds. She will step up and take the PK. And GOAL! Put it just under the bar to the keepers right, and AU takes the lead 2-1!

31’ to go

Archived