2018 Maui Invitational

tigerbrotha12

https://auburntigers.com/news/2018/7/24/mens-basketball-auburn-to-face-xavier-in-first-round-of-2018-maui-invitational.aspx

Bruce is 1-1 against the X-Men in his time at Auburn. This will be a statement win for us early in the season on prime time.

Possible 2nd round matchup against Duke has me very excited. Auburn playing Duke in basketball in Maui would be too cool.

edit: Had to fix title

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our win against xavier, uconn and a couple of the other "name" schools has been very, very good for our program.  Even though some of those teams have been in down years when we beat them, we still beat some traditional bball schools recently.  Man, would our season be off to a rockin start if we can beat some of those teams this year.  It could help us tremendously to play on the neutral court.

BUT! The last time we played in Hawaii, we had some tough sledding.  I thought we had some things go against us, including some officiating - i think from officials in a conference that calls games differently than we play in the SEC.  Hope we come out of Maui with at least a 2-1 record ... or how about 3 wins against xavier, duke and then arizona/gonzaga!

• 3 weeks later...

Xavier lost nearly every major contributor from their squad and are rebuilding. I think we have an excellent chance to win this game and will probably be favored to do so. However, playing that far from home with a new rotation will present challenges for both teams. 

We need to win this game. Up next will be Duke (assuming they beat SDSU) and, as a North Carolinian, I am DYING to see us matched up against them. 

I don't know much about Xavier other than they lost a few pieces and also lost their HC to Louisville. We will have an excellent chance to showcase our program to the entire country in this tournament!

45 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We need to win this game. Up next will be Duke (assuming they beat SDSU) and, as a North Carolinian, I am DYING to see us matched up against them. 

I don't know much about Xavier other than they lost a few pieces and also lost their HC to Louisville. We will have an excellent chance to showcase our program to the entire country in this tournament!

You can get a look at Duke tonight

3 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

You can get a look at Duke tonight

I saw that 6’7 and 280 pound Zion Williamson dunked from the free throw. Ready to see him.

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I saw that 6’7 and 280 pound Zion Williamson dunked from the free throw. Ready to see him.

His high school highlight film was absolutely sick

Zion Williamson is as good as his hype.  His highlights from last nights game were sick.  He can jump out of the gym.  The other freshman guard is impressive as well.  There's a reason Duke, NC, Kentucky are always a player in the Tournament.

13 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'd wager the Zion won't be able to dunk like that with Wiley/McLemore in the game.... 

I want to see Wiley send his chubby butt tumbling to the floor when he tries to cock one back on Austin

(assuming we are fortunate enough to play them)

IF Auburn can get past Xavier, I am really eager to see the Duke matchup. Why? The one advantage Auburn might have against the kind of talent Duke brings to the floor is *experience*. Duke will be heavy in talent. But catching them early in the year! Before they gel.

Duke will go n to win a big truckload of games. A win over Duke would be a ticket to the NCAA if Auburn can just keep steady through the season.

• 2 months later...

Watched Xavier play Wisconsin last night. Not ready to give a preview, but my initial reaction was we should beat that team. They did some interesting things, and have some talented athletes, but they struggled to defend a pretty bland Wisconsin team who shot poorly from the floor. Not that we can look past them, but my first reaction after watching them was what I expected. They lost a lot and are going to struggle. 

21 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

Watched Xavier play Wisconsin last night. Not ready to give a preview, but my initial reaction was we should beat that team. They did some interesting things, and have some talented athletes, but they struggled to defend a pretty bland Wisconsin team who shot poorly from the floor. Not that we can look past them, but my first reaction after watching them was what I expected. They lost a lot and are going to struggle. 

And I believe this was a home game for Xavier.

its 10 days before the iron bowl and i just cut off 106.7 talking football to listen to the AU sports network replay of last years basketball game vs. uconn....its a different day for an old AU fan....its 7 hours 15 minutes until tipoff for miss college

35 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

its 10 days before the iron bowl and i just cut off 106.7 talking football to listen to the AU sports network replay of last years basketball game vs. uconn....its a different day for an old AU fan....its 7 hours 15 minutes until tipoff for miss college

I don't know why anyone would still have any interest or emotion invested into our football program as long as Gus it at the helm. I haven't watched entire games this season (UT, TAMU, Ole Miss), and that is a rarity.

Chalk it up to inexperience, but a lot of these guys have played poorly in the past nuetral court tournament. Past two sec tournaments, the ncaa tourney, and the Charleston classic were all sluggish affairs. 

Too much football talk. I stay off those boards for a reason.

i am sitting here listening to replays of AU basketball games from last year...just finished the tennessee game and.i had forgot how long it took to play the last two minutes of that game...lol, i suffer from pain and stiffness due to arthritis and days like today are rough, so i walk around inside the house to loosen up....i caught myself pacing back and forth listening to it....is that hungry or what?...or just stupid?....bruce pearl is the one that needs to be paid 7 million a year and gus should be paid 15 bucks an hour with no paid vacation....

if austin comes around and puffy purifoy can get in shape to play significant minutes, well, i 'll just shut up because they may go to maui crap the bed and i'll have to eat my words...i will say this about purifoy:  hooks was at practice, either this weekend or monday i forget, but he said purifoy put on a clinic with 3 point shooting against the starters in a scrimmage and actually made it a game for a long time.....he said it was amazing to watch....hopefully, he continues to work on the rest of his game...3 hours and 28 minutes to tipoff

• ellitor changed the title to 2018 Maui Invitational

Thread title updated. We will have an AU-Xavier thread the day of the game for Wartiger or whoever does the game thread. Certainly not going to have a thread on that game when we still have a game to play before then.

On 11/14/2018 at 3:33 PM, doverstutts said:

i am sitting here listening to replays of AU basketball games from last year...just finished the tennessee game and.i had forgot how long it took to play the last two minutes of that game...lol, i suffer from pain and stiffness due to arthritis and days like today are rough, so i walk around inside the house to loosen up....i caught myself pacing back and forth listening to it....is that hungry or what?...or just stupid?....bruce pearl is the one that needs to be paid 7 million a year and gus should be paid 15 bucks an hour with no paid vacation....

if austin comes around and puffy purifoy can get in shape to play significant minutes, well, i 'll just shut up because they may go to maui crap the bed and i'll have to eat my words...i will say this about purifoy:  hooks was at practice, either this weekend or monday i forget, but he said purifoy put on a clinic with 3 point shooting against the starters in a scrimmage and actually made it a game for a long time.....he said it was amazing to watch....hopefully, he continues to work on the rest of his game...3 hours and 28 minutes to tipoff

Purifoy was supposedly also amazing at the AU pro day from 3. He was arguably the best shooter on the team the year he played before he got injured. And it's wild to think that in a team full of shooters, that the best one of them all could still be waiting to play.

6 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Also saw Xavier run some full court press in the second half to change the game up some.

yeah, i watched them also....they came back and made is respectable at the end.....we are a far better team but who knows....they may get over there and do the hula hula too much before the game and look awful.....bruce needs to work austin over and over on backing down the big white boy....he gave up ground easily and the wisky big guy had a career game against him

Archived