Null

Sign in to follow this  
tigerbrotha12

Men vs Xavier first round of 2018 Maui Invitational

https://auburntigers.com/news/2018/7/24/mens-basketball-auburn-to-face-xavier-in-first-round-of-2018-maui-invitational.aspx

Bruce is 1-1 against the X-Men in his time at Auburn. This will be a statement win for us early in the season on prime time.

Possible 2nd round matchup against Duke has me very excited. Auburn playing Duke in basketball in Maui would be too cool.

edit: Had to fix title

• Like 7

Our win against xavier, uconn and a couple of the other "name" schools has been very, very good for our program.  Even though some of those teams have been in down years when we beat them, we still beat some traditional bball schools recently.  Man, would our season be off to a rockin start if we can beat some of those teams this year.  It could help us tremendously to play on the neutral court.

BUT! The last time we played in Hawaii, we had some tough sledding.  I thought we had some things go against us, including some officiating - i think from officials in a conference that calls games differently than we play in the SEC.  Hope we come out of Maui with at least a 2-1 record ... or how about 3 wins against xavier, duke and then arizona/gonzaga!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Xavier lost nearly every major contributor from their squad and are rebuilding. I think we have an excellent chance to win this game and will probably be favored to do so. However, playing that far from home with a new rotation will present challenges for both teams. 

We need to win this game. Up next will be Duke (assuming they beat SDSU) and, as a North Carolinian, I am DYING to see us matched up against them. 

I don't know much about Xavier other than they lost a few pieces and also lost their HC to Louisville. We will have an excellent chance to showcase our program to the entire country in this tournament!

45 minutes ago, Tiger said:

We need to win this game. Up next will be Duke (assuming they beat SDSU) and, as a North Carolinian, I am DYING to see us matched up against them. 

I don't know much about Xavier other than they lost a few pieces and also lost their HC to Louisville. We will have an excellent chance to showcase our program to the entire country in this tournament!

You can get a look at Duke tonight

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JwgreDeux said:

You can get a look at Duke tonight

I saw that 6’7 and 280 pound Zion Williamson dunked from the free throw. Ready to see him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I saw that 6’7 and 280 pound Zion Williamson dunked from the free throw. Ready to see him.

His high school highlight film was absolutely sick

• Thanks 1

Zion Williamson is as good as his hype.  His highlights from last nights game were sick.  He can jump out of the gym.  The other freshman guard is impressive as well.  There's a reason Duke, NC, Kentucky are always a player in the Tournament.

13 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'd wager the Zion won't be able to dunk like that with Wiley/McLemore in the game.... 

I want to see Wiley send his chubby butt tumbling to the floor when he tries to cock one back on Austin

(assuming we are fortunate enough to play them)

Edited by Tiger

IF Auburn can get past Xavier, I am really eager to see the Duke matchup. Why? The one advantage Auburn might have against the kind of talent Duke brings to the floor is *experience*. Duke will be heavy in talent. But catching them early in the year! Before they gel.

Duke will go n to win a big truckload of games. A win over Duke would be a ticket to the NCAA if Auburn can just keep steady through the season.

• Like 3