WarTiger

Football Rules and Interpretations

On 11/12/2018 at 9:08 PM, AURex said:

So, here is an off-the-wall question. Can an offensive player with the ball be called for targeting?

In the South Carolina game, the SC RB intentionally lowered his head and launched himself forward (at the defensive played, thus initiating crown of helmet contact and launching himself. The play was reviewed, but I think it it was for *defensive* targeting.

Is there any circumstance in which a ball carrier can be called for targeting?

All penalties in the rule book apply equally to offense and defense.   The defense cannot legally block in the back either, yet you rare if ever see it called.  A RB lowering his head is in the same category.  While he's not a "defenseless" player in that situation initiating any contact with the crown of the helmet is illegal regardless of who on the field commits the infraction.   But, much like that block in the back on the defense, its rarely, if ever called.

When I saw that play, I was thinking it should be called. I saw so many plays like that way back in the day in high school games. But now I also see ball carriers lowering their head, launching themselves forward, trying to get the last inches of gain. I have never once seen a targeting call on an offensive player with the ball.

Similarly, I've never seen a facemask call on a player with the ball, even in cases where the ball carrier grabs the facemask of the defensive player and yanks his head around. Whatever the wording of the rules, thew enforcement seems to be entirely aimed at the D.

Edited by AURex
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, AURex said:

When I saw that play, I was thinking it should be called. I saw so many plays like that way back in the day in high school games. But now I also see ball carriers lowering their head, launching themselves forward, trying to get the last inches of gain. I have never once seen a targeting call on an offensive player with the ball.

Similarly, I've never seen a facemask call on a player with the ball, even in cases where the ball carrier grabs the facemask of the defensive player and yanks his head around. Whatever the wording of the rules, thew enforcement seems to be entirely aimed at the D.

I have and in fact, I've called it myself in a game.   I believe Auburn actually had a ball carrier get called for a facemask during a game earlier this season.   It may not have been on Auburn.  It could have been the opponent that got flagged.  I'd have to go back and look and quite frankly don't have the time or interest to do so. 

I've seen offensive linemen called for facemask, but never a player running the ball. Not saying it never happens, because I don't see every game ever. Anyway, I was more interested in you sense of the way targeting gets called and whether a runner could be called for targeting.

On 11/19/2018 at 12:45 PM, AURex said:

I've seen offensive linemen called for facemask, but never a player running the ball. Not saying it never happens, because I don't see every game ever. Anyway, I was more interested in you sense of the way targeting gets called and whether a runner could be called for targeting.

The rules apply equally to offense and defense but most of the examples of defenseless player are members of the offense or the kicking team.   For a ball carrier to get called for targeting he would have to not just lower his head but initiate contact using the crown of the helmet.  That's the only possible way he could be called for it.  A ball carrier isn't going to hit a player on the ground, or intentionally block a player and its not possible for him to hit someone obviously out of the play, so the chances are extremely slim it will ever be called.  Possible, absolutely.  Likely, probably not

Forgot which game yesterday, but there was a pass play and a flag was thrown for illegal lineman downfield.  However the QB had "thrown the ball out of bounds legally intentionally grounding it.  So they waived off the illegal lineman downfield penalty.  Doesn't seem right.  If it was a pass to a player it would have stood as a penalty, but just because the QB legally threw it away, it doesn't apply?  Still a pass play either way right?

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Forgot which game yesterday, but there was a pass play and a flag was thrown for illegal lineman downfield.  However the QB had "thrown the ball out of bounds legally intentionally grounding it.  So they waived off the illegal lineman downfield penalty.  Doesn't seem right.  If it was a pass to a player it would have stood as a penalty, but just because the QB legally threw it away, it doesn't apply?  Still a pass play either way right?

I was actually watching the game that this happened and heard the white hat announce the penalty but didn't see the play.  They were absolutely right. The player that recieves the snap can legally throw the ball away to avoid lost yardage, provided he is outside the tackle box and the ball is thrown past the line of scrimmage extended.  Remember this is a college rule NOT a high school rule.    If he throws it out of bounds to avoid lost yardage it negates the ineligible downfield.    

Take this a step further:   What happens if there's an ineligible player down field, pass is thrown, pass is TIPPED and either caught by the offense or defense or falls incomplete?   Well, by rule once the pass is tipped EVERYBODY is eligible, so there can no longer be an ineligible player downfield.   Flag would be picked up and waived off and the results of the play would stand.

Now, humor me a bit on something that is probably semantics and such, but it should be INELIGIBLE PLAYER down field.   There's no such thing as an Illegal player, illegal lineman.  They aren't illegal they are ineligible and its not just linemen.  I hear it by announcers too and it drives me crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2018 at 2:55 PM, WarTiger said:

Once a fair catch is signaled by ANY player on the field, the recieving team forfeits their right to advance the ball.  It doesn't matter at all if the kick is caught, grounded or muffed.  Once the fair catch is called for the ball will be blown dead when in possession of the receiving  team.   If the kick is untouched but grounded the fair catch still negates the receiving teams ability to advance the ball  Advancing the ball after signaling for a fair catch is a delay of game penalty.   Easy call last week.

I saw this situation over the weekend and was able to provide more insight thanks to you!! lol

I might be wrong, but I don't believe they actually flagged the receiving team for a delay of game though. Otherwise, everything else was spot on.