Softball adds transfer pitcher

Auburn signs pitcher Lexie Handley to the 2018 class.  She is a lefty transfer from the University Akron where she spent two seasons.

image.png

Lexie Handley signs with Auburn Softball

AUBURN, Ala. – Auburn softball has signed left-handed pitcher Lexie Handley as part of the 2018-19 class, head coach Mickey Dean announced Monday.

Handley comes to the Plains after two seasons at the University of Akron where she was named the 2017 Mid-American Conference Freshman Pitcher of the Year after posting a 20-17 record in 44 appearances with 25 starts in the circle in her first collegiate season.

"I think Lexie will be a great addition to our pitching staff," Dean said. "Her addition gives us two righties and two lefties. She had a tremendous high school career and a great freshman year at Akron. We are looking forward to getting her on campus and acclimated with our team."

Handley was also named Second Team All-MAC, All-MAC Freshman Team, NFCA All-Region and picked up three MAC East Pitcher of the Week awards in 2017. The Mogadore, Ohio, native tallied a 2.45 ERA while tossing 20 complete games and seven shutouts while allowing 175 hits and 108 runs, 79 earned.

The left-hander walked a program-low 92 batters while striking out 183, which ranks seventh in Akron history. She tossed her first-career no-hitter in a 9-0 win over Eastern Michigan and struck out a season-high 12 batters in a complete game effort against Oakland.

Following her outstanding freshman season, Handley sat out the 2018 season with a medical redshirt. She comes to Auburn with three years of eligibility remaining.

"I am very grateful for the opportunity to represent this incredible university," Handley said. "I'm looking forward to helping Auburn Softball reach its fullest potential."

Prior to signing with Akron, Handley was a two-time first-team All-State selection at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School. She also picked two first-team All-District and first-team All-League honors. Handley holds the school record for strikeouts in a single game (19), single-season strikeouts (228) and career strikeouts (775). As a junior, she carried the team to regional runner-up finish in 2014 while posting a 14-3 record.

Great news for the Class of 2018.  Seems to be a strikeout pitcher with a high of 12 at Akron.  92 walks in 44 appearances - not bad.  2.45 ErA pretty good for a freshman.  Welcome to the Plains!

Yes.  I like this.  Lefty, good stats, 3 years eligibility remaining and 2 full years of college life maturity. Good pickup. Figured Dean had some transfers up his sleeve. 

Archived