** Nip Watch 2018 ** Called-8/22 2215

WarTim

When I first arrived at AUF, I was confused. But I soon realized that I'm not allowed to post NIP pictures here, no matter how magnificent.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woke up this morning, and it was cool outside from the rain. This is no summer rain, mind you, popping up with Sturm und Drang and vanishing away like a thief taking the promise of cool air and misting breath with it. No, this is rain like late fall - a steady drip but somehow without summer in the south's cloying, clinging humidity. If you didn't know better, you'd look at it like you were Rip van Winkle having slept of a summer and waking up on a Thursday in early November, waiting for the day to end so it's one day closer to Saturday. 

In a couple of days the clouds will go and summer heat will return, but the memory of that coolness will remain, and when you think of it you can smell the burning leaves and barbeque, can hear the sounds of football in the ear of your mind, and smile knowing that it's soon to be.

9 hours ago, AURex said:

When I first arrived at AUF, I was confused. But I soon realized that I'm not allowed to post NIP pictures here, no matter how magnificent.

:(

We take the bad with the good, I suppose. 

36 minutes ago, TecmoBoJackson said:

By far my favorite thread every year!!!

Thanks. Many memories 

13 hours ago, Auctoritas said:

Woke up this morning, and it was cool outside from the rain. This is no summer rain, mind you, popping up with Sturm und Drang and vanishing away like a thief taking the promise of cool air and misting breath with it. No, this is rain like late fall - a steady drip but somehow without summer in the south's cloying, clinging humidity. If you didn't know better, you'd look at it like you were Rip van Winkle having slept of a summer and waking up on a Thursday in early November, waiting for the day to end so it's one day closer to Saturday. 

In a couple of days the clouds will go and summer heat will return, but the memory of that coolness will remain, and when you think of it you can smell the burning leaves and barbeque, can hear the sounds of football in the ear of your mind, and smile knowing that it's soon to be.

Whenever you finish writing this book I'll take a copy. 

Not sure what. The correct name is for this particular insect. It is a grasshopper. Around 4 inches long. Black with orange on back. Saw a lot of them when I was a kid. Always first appeared in early Fall. Saw a couple yesterday as my grass was being cut. Weird but a “sign” none the less. Hurry Nip Hurry !!!

2 hours ago, '76 Tiger said:

No signs in Central Florida, not even a tropical storm.  (Sigh)

I feel your pain, here in SW Fla.

2 hours ago, '76 Tiger said:

There may be no signs of the Nip in Central Florida but at least they have that "National Championship" to cling to.  /s

3 hours ago, WarTim said:

Not sure what. The correct name is for this particular insect. It is a grasshopper. Around 4 inches long. Black with orange on back. Saw a lot of them when I was a kid. Always first appeared in early Fall. Saw a couple yesterday as my grass was being cut. Weird but a “sign” none the less. Hurry Nip Hurry !!!

Just saw a full-grown mother garden-spider munchin' on a cicada. Here, that's a sort'a end-of-summer pre-nip.

28 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Just saw a full-grown mother garden-spider munchin' on a cicada. Here, that's a sort'a end-of-summer pre-nip.

Oh yeah, gotta like that pre-nip!

8 minutes ago, McFU said:

Oh yeah, gotta like that pre-nip!

in agreement

4 hours ago, '76 Tiger said:

I am in Central Florida, check back with us in November. Maybe we will have a nip by then.

1 minute ago, grandpajay said:

I am in Central Florida, check back with us in November. Maybe we will have a nip by then.

At the EARLIEST!  Down south of Sarasota the nip usually starts in January.

13 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

At the EARLIEST!  Down south of Sarasota the nip usually starts in January.

I spent a 4th of July on a beach in Sarasota one year. One of the most uncomfortable days of my life. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I spent a 4th of July on a beach in Sarasota one year. One of the most uncomfortable days of my life. 

Some friends took us out boating in the Gulf and Intracoastal 2 days before Christmas a few years ago and we anchored by an island and played in the water.  The water wasn't that cold.

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Some friends took us out boating in the Gulf and Intracoastal 2 days before Christmas a few years ago and we anchored by an island and played in the water.  The water wasn't that cold.

That's so nuts. (But cheers to having friends with boats!)

54 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Even here, always canoed up-river for camping during Christmas vacation. Water was nippy (as it is now, spring-fed river), but the sleeping bag was only a cushion; no way to actually climb into it.

7 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Even here, always canoed up-river for camping during Christmas vacation. Water was nippy (as it is now, spring-fed river), but the sleeping bag was only a cushion; no way to actually climb into it.

Apologies, but for the life of me I can't figure out what you mean.

Ahh, cool weather river camping... nothing like it. Less water sports, but fewer bugs, too. 

Even though it's still hot as blazes in Northeast Mississippi the afternoon sun seems to be casting a longer shadow that my mind associates with Fall. Also the grass isn't growing as fast so cutting weekly is not necessary at this point. The Amory HS band will soon serenade us during their night practices. It's here. 

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ahh, cool weather river camping... nothing like it. Less water sports, but fewer bugs, too. 

I've missed cool-weather camping since Sept. 1996 (hint, when we got married).  Like I said....she moved me to Florida.  LOL!

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Sorry.

Slept on the bag, 'cause it was waaay too hot/muggy to sleep in it.

In town, Dad insisted on a Christmas Eve fire in the fireplace every year so, every year, we'd crank up the AC to full-blast.

Archived