** Nip Watch 2018 ** Called-8/22 2215

WarTim

48 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Sorry.

Slept on the bag, 'cause it was waaay too hot/muggy to sleep in it.

In town, Dad insisted on a Christmas Eve fire in the fireplace every year so, every year, we'd crank up the AC to full-blast.

Changed reaction from thanks to lol to reflect my own mental meanderings while reading this.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Changed reaction from thanks to lol to reflect my own mental meanderings while reading this.

Besides,

during the day, in the sleeping bag was where all the bugs (damned Poikilotherms) went to hide from the heat, and they had little reason to leave at sunset.

Today the sound of snare drums and whistles filled the air. Our family did a little shopping downtown and the taste of Toomer's lemonade is still on our tongues. After a scorching midday, a nice heavy rain fell and there's a distinct smell of fall in the air. Oh yes, the Nip is drawing ever closer. 

44 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Besides,

during the day, in the sleeping bag was where all the bugs (damned Poikilotherms) went to hide from the heat, and they had little reason to leave at sunset.

That really bugs the hell out of me. 

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That really bugs the hell out of me. 

Understood but, in an ecologically holistic sense, opportunistic.

I've seen academic studies showing that the optimum application for your brand-new bug zapper is to give it to your neighbor as a present; put that attractive light in a nearby place you won't be going to anyway.

On 8/1/2018 at 10:05 AM, NorthGATiger said:

I was expecting something completely different when I opened this thread.  Gutter mind I tell ya.

I facepalmed but to be honest, I thought the same thing..I was like... "is this (name of other football forum)" lol

4 hours ago, gr82be said:

Even though it's still hot as blazes in Northeast Mississippi the afternoon sun seems to be casting a longer shadow that my mind associates with Fall. Also the grass isn't growing as fast so cutting weekly is not necessary at this point. The Amory HS band will soon serenade us during their night practices. It's here. 

My wife was born in Amory.  Her mother and father grew up there.  Great place!

It hit 98 in Allen today. But the kids at Church on Sunday were talking about Band Practice.  I live in hearing distance when the band practices at Allen HS. That is when I know football season is getting near and the nip is coming.

I saw some Band kids doing a fundraiser today ... 

Still no sign of colors up in the delta

k9SLawn.jpg

(and, as an aside, don't think I'll ever figure out why locals call that the Dolly Parton Bridge)

6 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

k9SLawn.jpg

(and, as an aside, don't think I'll ever figure out why locals call that the Dolly Parton Bridge)

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

k9SLawn.jpg

To borrow from Doc Watson, it seems there are two reasons. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

To borrow from Doc Watson, it seems there are two reasons. 

I think I get it, but

still little sign of nip.

I'm reading actual football news, practice reports, seeing interviews, RiR is sending pictures, my AU Football Man-crush Tega is solid at LT, I'm feeling like a Sunshine Pumper again.

Ah yes, the nip is here. 

:beer2:

Thanks for starting this thread so I can experience the nip vicariously (won't feel it here in Tallahassee until somewhere around Halloween).:big:

11 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Thanks for starting this thread so I can experience the nip vicariously (won't feel it here in Tallahassee until somewhere around Halloween).:big:

"The Nip" is more than a chill in the air. It's the sights, sounds and sometimes the feel that AU football is just around the corner. Living in Mobile, I know that the feel of a chill in the air won't be around for awhile, but the nip is already here. :big: Having a son in the high school band helps. :wareagle: 

Edit: And the fact that recruiting board is dead should be a big time give away that the nip is here. :rollin:

Waiting for the sun to make different looking shadows; for the humidity to lift so we can hear the high school band drilling a couple miles up the road. Our kids went off to school this morning. It's almost here.

Picked up on one of my favorite signals yesterday. A light breeze blowing through the trees. The sound is different in late summer than in the Spring, as the leaves are drying. A sure harbinger Autumn is nigh.

Getting closer.  Officiating a scrimmage tomorrow night. Kick off classics (games that don't count in the standings) are next friday.   It's definitely getting close.

Noticed this morning that my lawn has gone to seed. Getting closer.......

Archived