My most favorite Auburn team

AFTiger

This video brought back a lot of memories for this old man. I had a history class in Samford Hall with Jackie Burkett. We both thought it was pretty boring so we cut class and  went uptown to one of the several  pool halls that lined College street back then. I was a pretty good pool player back then and we would battle it out playing 8-ball. He introduced me to the game of Snooker which to play was a lot harder than a normal pool game. The table is bigger and the pockets are smaller. All I can say is football was not the only game he could play which I routinely found out. Jackie played for the Baltimore Colts for several years. Great guy and fun to be around. Tommy Lorino was also a great friend, even after we both left AU. Tommy had a Golden Rule B-B-Q place near I-85 in Auburn. He put his son in business there. My wife and I were passing through Auburn on our way down to Orange Beach and stopped by the Golden Rule for something to eat. The decor in the restaurant was pics of most of the players in the above video. I asked the little waitress that  waited on us if Tommy ever came in and she replied he is back in the kitchen. I asked her to tell him someone he hasn't seen in a while was asking about him. Well out came Tommy and we had quite a reunion. Tommy passed away recently unfortunately. He was also an SEC official. His job was head linesman because even at his age he was the only one that could stay up with these young receivers today.! Tommy passed away May 22, 2016 so rest in peace Tommy  and God bless you . WDE!!

30 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

This video brought back a lot of memories for this old man. I had a history class in Samford Hall with Jackie Burkett. We both thought it was pretty boring so we cut class and  went uptown to one of the several  pool halls that lined College street back then. I was a pretty good pool player back then and we would battle it out playing 8-ball. He introduced me to the game of Snooker which to play was a lot harder than a normal pool game. The table is bigger and the pockets are smaller. All I can say is football was not the only game he could play which I routinely found out. Jackie played for the Baltimore Colts for several years. Great guy and fun to be around. Tommy Lorino was also a great friend, even after we both left AU. Tommy had a Golden Rule B-B-Q place near I-85 in Auburn. He put his son in business there. My wife and I were passing through Auburn on our way down to Orange Beach and stopped by the Golden Rule for something to eat. The decor in the restaurant was pics of most of the players in the above video. I asked the little waitress that  waited on us if Tommy ever came in and she replied he is back in the kitchen. I asked her to tell him someone he hasn't seen in a while was asking about him. Well out came Tommy and we had quite a reunion. Tommy passed away recently unfortunately. He was also an SEC official. His job was head linesman because even at his age he was the only one that could stay up with these young receivers today.! Tommy passed away May 22, 2016 so rest in peace Tommy  and God bless you . WDE!!

Great story slammer. Thank you for sharing. 

My favorite might just be the 1993 team we got to watch on the radio. Of course, I was in school so I got to see all the home games anyway. That was also the year I dumped my blind Bama allegiance, which was just based on growing up around Bammers, to join my new Auburn Family.  I made the switch after the 1992 championship game and have never once looked back or regretted the decision. 

WDE

The 72 Amazins were truly amazing. I went to the 1972 Gator Bowl when we played Colorado. They had a running back named Cullen Bryant. He was very proud of himself and really ran his mouth about  how he was not really impressed with the Auburn Tigers or being at the Gator Bowl and made a really snide remark about the watches that were given to both teams at the dinner in both of the teams honor.. According to a member of our team there was also an incident in the men's room where the Colorado guys were giving our guys that were there a hard time. I do not know who our player was but he told the CO guys that they would settle everything on the field and settle it they did.  The crowning blow to CO was a fake field goal attempt in the 4th quarter that went for a touchdown. We wound up wining 24-3, couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch.

WDE

I'm biased because it was my senior year, but 2004 will always be "my" team.  Went to class with Ronnie Brown and attended every game that year (home and road).  That team was just soooooo good and fun to watch.

The 1950 0-10 team never won a game hell we even lost to Wofford coached by the wonderful Earl Brown guy had the personally of a fish. Why this team well it got us Shug in 1951 to replace Earl. The rest is history..............

Date Opponent# Rank# Site Result
September 22 Wofford*   Cramton Bowl  Montgomery, Alabama L 14–19  
September 30 at Vanderbilt   Dudley Field  Nashville, Tennessee L 0–41  
October 7 Southeastern Louisiana*   Cliff Hare Stadium  Auburn, Alabama L 0–6  
October 14 at Florida   Florida Field  Gainesville, Florida (Rivalry) L 7–27  
October 21 at Georgia Tech   Grant Field  Atlanta L 0–20  
October 28 Tulane   Cliff Hare Stadium • Auburn, Alabama L 0–28  
November 4 at Mississippi State   Scott Field  Starkville, Mississippi L 0–27  
November 18 vs. Georgia   Memorial Stadium  Columbus, Georgia (Deep South's Oldest Rivalry) L 10–12  
November 25 No. 11 Clemson*   Cliff Hare Stadium • Auburn, Alabama L 0–41  
December 2 vs. No. 17 Alabama   Legion Field  Birmingham, Alabama (Iron Bowl) L 0–34  

Dang...that 1950 team was shut out 7 times out of 10.  We scored 31 total points for the season.  Whew.

Those guys and the 2012 squad might have a slug fest. 

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

The 1950 0-10 team never won a game hell we even lost to Wofford coached by the wonderful Earl Brown guy had the personally of a fish. Why this team well it got us Shug in 1951 to replace Earl. The rest is history..............

November 18 vs. Georgia   Memorial Stadium  Columbus, Georgia (Deep South's Oldest Rivalry) L 10–12  
December 2 vs. No. 17 Alabama   Legion Field  Birmingham, Alabama (Iron Bowl) L 0–34  

OUCH, look at all those goose eggs, well at least we gave GA a run for the money but that doesn't ease the pain much.

'72 Amazins for me. I became an Auburn fan before the '71 season because I thought Pat Sullivan and Terry Beasley were the best ever not that I had a lot to compare them to at 11 years old. When '72 came around they were gone and even at that age, without much TV and only newspapers, I knew it might get ugly. The Amazins defined Auburn football for me by beating the odds, lining up against the man across from you and whipping him more than he whips  you and playing until the game was over. What more could a kid ask for in one year...I got a beagle puppy for my birthday and two blocked punts for Christmas. 

'83 team for me.  11 years old and living in GA, but we were often in B'ham visiting my Grandparents and watching/listening to games among family... Good times.  

At that age, the players seem 10' tall (even Little Train LOL) and being in the days of radio and newspapers (watching the Pat Dye show on Sunday)....  Magical!

I think 1957 was the last time and only time we beat a ranked team in our opening game. 

2010 was the best. 2013 was the most fun until the end. 2004 was sad- knowing we were the best team and could not play for it. 

Wow @augolf1716, that 1950 team was awful!  So glad we got Shug the next year.  

My favorite AU teams are (not necessarily in order)  Disclaimer: 1957 and 1972 were before I was born (1977) so I can’t claim those 2   

1993 - We had season tickets.  I was at every home game. My sister, and soon to be brother-in-law were in the marching band.  I remember huddling around the radio listening to Jim Fyffe for the away games.  That was a great year!

2004 - That team was special!  I loved the “hard fighting soldiers”.  I lived in NO at the time and I was at the Sugar Bowl.  It was awesome to get to see the conclusion of one of the greatest seasons ever!

2010 - Natty!  Nuff said.  Cam!  That offense was unstoppable and a lot of fun to watch!  I keep a picture on my desk of my whole family (wife, 2 daughters(my youngest was born in Sept. of 2010) sis, Bro-in-law, nephew, mom and dad) all decked out in our AU gear before that game.  

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Thanks, love it. fwiw we unfortunately played Wofford during an era when they were in the AP top 20, regularly had 3d team and honorable-mention All American players, barely lost a bowl game to FSU and outscored opponents 353-67. Hard to imagine.

17 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm biased because it was my senior year, but 2004 will always be "my" team.  Went to class with Ronnie Brown and attended every game that year (home and road).  That team was just soooooo good and fun to watch.

This was on of my favorites also.  My son also went to every game that year.  He was in the aviation program, so he and a classmate flew a twin engine to most of the away games.  Needless to say, I believe it was his favorite season.  He also had the satisfaction of knowing that bama never beat Auburn during his time there.  Unfortunately, our only win during my time was 1972, which was my favorite team.

1 minute ago, eulessau said:

This was on of my favorites also.  My son also went to every game that year.  He was in the aviation program, so he and a classmate flew a twin engine to most of the away games.  Needless to say, I believe it was his favorite season.  He also had the satisfaction of knowing that bama never beat Auburn during his time there.  Unfortunately, our only win during my time was 1972, which was my favorite team.

I didn't have the same satisfaction with regards to Bama.  We went 3-1, but that 2001 game freshman year was ugly.  Happened to be my first Iron Bowl too.

Archived