2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Tiger Growlin

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That's reasonable but we've seen that just a couple studs can totally turn a basketball team around.   JMO but it's possible to make a more immediate impact with a very good recruiting class in basketball than football and of course it can fall off quickly if some of the bb players go "one and done".    

Still.....I wonder about the strength of the conference this year and how that can affect our ranking in a couple months. . 

You’re right. I just think it’s a different balance in b-ball than football so it’s not worth comparing. It’s just a totally different strategy when players can leave after one year instead of 3. Bruce is building a talented but stable roster is what I’m getting at. AU can’t (right now) recycle one and done players like Duke and UK. But AU can develop top 50-100 players into guys that consistently compete for titles. All I’m saying is don’t think AU has to constantly have top 10 classes to be a top 10 program just because player development and roster fluctuation is different in b-ball 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

You’re right. I just think it’s a different balance in b-ball than football so it’s not worth comparing. It’s just a totally different strategy when players can leave after one year instead of 3. Bruce is building a talented but stable roster is what I’m getting at. AU can’t (right now) recycle one and done players like Duke and UK. But AU can develop top 50-100 players into guys that consistently compete for titles. All I’m saying is don’t think AU has to constantly have top 10 classes to be a top 10 program just because player development and roster fluctuation is different in b-ball 

I'm fully in favor of building a team with balance...freshmen through seniors with ability to fill in the gaps each year.  I don't see us ever in the one and done plan which is fine with me.   Even  5* recruits in basketball are a risk....some leave and frankly some just don't adapt to college basketball.  The big challenge is probably getting several 4* guys each year and then keeping them happy with adequate playing time …. though I guess there will always be a few who transfer seeking more playing time.  

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

And again...what's the story on Watford ?     Nobody on this site even mentions him?    Issues?  or what?  

See my post a few above this one.  I’ve been told by a guy who is in a better position to know, that he likes hardaway a lot and is likely headed to Memphis.  Bama high school and Bama high school coach so therefore no auburn.  Family connections to Indiana.  I’m not sure why LSU was in his top 4.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, AU64 said:

And again...what's the story on Watford ?     Nobody on this site even mentions him?    Issues?  or what?  

Someone replied to your post on him the other day. I didn't feel the need to be redundant for a change.

• Thanks 1

Also @AU64 we are done with high school kids for this class. If any non SRs leave the plan is to replace them with Grad Transfers, Jucos, or hold a scholly open for the next class depending who the non SRs are that leave.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Also @AU64 we are done with high school kids for this class. If any non SRs leave the plan is to replace them with Grad Transfers, Jucos, or hold a scholly open for the next class depending who the non SRs are that leave.

Actually I'm good with this approach.  Unless you get a 5*, most HS players will not get much playing time and the best ones will get discouraged because they don't get enough playing time.      At least with a grad transfer or juco you get some maturity, all with some experience against higher level competition that HS.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:42 AM, ellitor said:

Someone replied to your post on him the other day. I didn't feel the need to be redundant for a change.

He played aau for penny hardaway one year penny becomes head coach at Memphis seems like he just following him. There are four guys that are doing this I believe. His brother played for Indiana a few years ago, he plays overseas or maybe the new g league now. they have always lived in the suburbs of bham

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Speaking of Watford....

Why Okoro isn’t a five star is beyond me. 

Probably because of his offensive limitations, may need a little more development. If I had to guess improving ball handling; and shooting. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Probably because of his offensive limitations, may need a little more development. If I had to guess improving ball handling; and shooting. 

True. I read somewhere else that his shooting isn’t there yet. Sounds like he will be a slasher and a real weapon on defense right away though. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

True. I read somewhere else that his shooting isn’t there yet. Sounds like he will be a slasher and a real weapon on defense right away though. 

Lord knows we need it lol

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lord knows we need it lol

Yep. We are missing Heron, Davion Mitchell and Murray. That’s a lot of energy, rebounding, and defense that we lost. 

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yep. We are missing Heron, Davion Mitchell and Murray. That’s a lot of energy, rebounding, and defense that we lost. 

Tried to tell everybody. You just can't see everything in a stat sheet. That was all of our toughness and alot of dirty work. Other people picking up scoring but still need to expend energy on defense. Herron was good at attacking the basket and drawing fouls too. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gene Loblaw said:

The kid is such a baller. Gonna be interesting to see how the lineup shakes out next season cuz some of these young studs may be too good to be on the bench

No way most of them will be on the bench. 

IF we lose Spencer and Wiley, someone will have to start, unless Gus goes the transfer route. We will only have Anferee in the middle, and he may be a shot blocker but he is not a power force in the middle.

At guards and forwards, we will have new guys competing at PG and SG for sure with Brown and possibly Harper leaving. That leaves us w only Samir and McCormick( and both will be seniors next year) and the transfer Johnson.

On 12/23/2018 at 4:05 PM, Gene Loblaw said:

please God, let this young man follow Akingbola and Okoro to Auburn 

Pipeline please!

• Like 1

Cooper looks like a 6 star player if they allowed 6. He is maybe the best passer I have ever seen in HS.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:06 AM, cole256 said:

Tried to tell everybody. You just can't see everything in a stat sheet. That was all of our toughness and alot of dirty work. Other people picking up scoring but still need to expend energy on defense. Herron was good at attacking the basket and drawing fouls too. 

I tried to tell everyone that we would be in trouble with free throws as well, both getting to the line and percentage. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2018 at 9:06 AM, cole256 said:

We miss Heron a lot. He was a leader. He also combined outside shooting, slashing to the rim, rebounding and physical toughness. It broke my heart that he did not return. I keep thinking about what a great team we would have if he had come back. We don't have anyone like him on the team. It is possible that Okeke could become that guy, but he is off and on. 

• Like 2