2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Tiger Growlin

This years team is really small when you think about the teams we go up against. Duke and Kentucky. Teams like those have guys who's 6-10, 7-foot or taller. Coach Pearl and his staff need that's 6-10 to 7-foot range.

55 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

This years team is really small when you think about the teams we go up against. Duke and Kentucky. Teams like those have guys who's 6-10, 7-foot or taller. Coach Pearl and his staff need that's 6-10 to 7-foot range.

It’s actually got way more size than last season. I really think size is way overrated but I understand the need for some big bodies. Skill is way more important 

Not sure if anyone mentioned yet, but before the FBI crap last year, Pearl had EJ Montgomery committed...6' 10" power forward ranked #9 overall in 247. That was a big recruiting loss for us. Had we had him and Wiley available at the same time, we could more effectively change to big ball when needed. Plus another huge defensive presence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned yet, but before the FBI crap last year, Pearl had EJ Montgomery committed...6' 10" power forward ranked #9 overall in 247. That was a big recruiting loss for us. Had we had him and Wiley available at the same time, we could more effectively change to big ball when needed. Plus another huge defensive presence. 

Not that it matters anymore but he used that as a excuse to drop us. That is not the real reason why he did though.

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif

Yikes. There are our five stars for next year. 

Even have a blue blood tint.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:34 AM, cole256 said:

Yeah, I heard about him when he was coming to play Sheffield. I would LOVE to see him play Florence. He's supposed to be playing on the aau team Mark plays on if I'm not mistaken. Heard he takes his craft pretty seriously. I like the thought that he's putting up these points with everybody trying to guard him.....there's things about being the man that everybody can't see. I imagine he's thought of mangy different ways to beat coverages already that some don't think about until they're in college

This popped on my timeline because Wes Flanigan liked it. I wonder how hard we are recruiting him so far. 

..Nice to see these good players making visits....but I'm still looking for the day when a couple of 7-2" guys from Lithuania or Serbia or Nigeria drop by for a visit.  The current recruiting class looks pretty much like our present roster (minus AW) and keep hoping we will find a couple big folks like we've run into lately at LSU and elsewhere.

Edited by AU64

I haven’t looked at the sizes in a while but the 5 new guys are longer than our present starting 5.  The #5 coming in isn’t as big but all the other positions are.

with purifoy and Chuma back next year, that’s decent size.  Still not so much at the 5 (I don’t think wiley comes back).

8 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

I haven’t looked at the sizes in a while but the 5 new guys are longer than our present starting 5.  The #5 coming in isn’t as big but all the other positions are.

with purifoy and Chuma back next year, that’s decent size.  Still not so much at the 5 (I don’t think wiley comes back).

I HOPE Chuma comes back. He is projected to go on some mock drafts at the end of the first round. 

I think he’ll turn up the leadership role next year as a junior and he’ll perform like CBP wanted him to this year.  Obviously he’s doing great but he has a lot more in him when he is getting some of the touches that BB is.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:44 PM, mustache eagle said:

It's understated how important the incoming influx of size at positions 1-4 are. I suspect it's going to lead to an improved team defense. At least down the road.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If I was chumma I'm out!

I could see that...good chance he would be our "big man" next year which he is probably not interested in doing. :dunno:

We've had 3 years to get at least one big guy to replace AW....and not even close to doing that as far as I know. 

I don't know about three years but I wouldn't be interested in playing out of position. How would that benefit me? Hardest thing to find in basketball though is a true big man that's good at scoring

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

If I was chumma I'm out!

Why is that? This is not a Gus player we are talking about where it is very very dangerous to return.  I think next year he will average 16 or 17 ppg and rocket up the draft boards from a fringe first round pick to lottery territory. It will be the Harper and Chuma show if both of them return. NOW if he is a lock solid first round pick he def should go. But if he is on that end of first round and top of the second round cusp then I would hope he comes back.

Edited by GwillMac6

47 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't know about three years but I wouldn't be interested in playing out of position. How would that benefit me? Hardest thing to find in basketball though is a true big man that's good at scoring

JMO…..but he doesn't even need to be a scorer.....need rebounding and some put backs…..and play some defense.  Our opponents seem to find these guys and when

AW signed with AU, nobody thought he would still be here.   All the talk was 5* and "one and done"..   If the various problems had not arisen, he probably would have been gone well before now. 

On 2/12/2019 at 5:07 PM, AU64 said:

We've had 3 years to get at least one big guy to replace AW....and not even close to doing that as far as I know. 

Did you just flatly ignore my post quoting you saying that we in fact had a 6'10 5 star PF/C in the fold until the Chuck Person mess? Meaning he was committed to us as recently as ~15 months ago. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tiger said:

Did you just flatly ignore my post quoting you saying that we in fact had a 6'10 5 star PF/C in the fold until the Chuck Person mess? Meaning he was committed to us as recently as ~15 months ago. 

I recall Montgomery... but I don't give that recruitment any credit if you read a little about it.     He was committed 6 days...or maybe seven before bailing out the same day Chuck Person incident was made public.   We don't know what the story was but strikes me as questionable ....guess he was brought in by Chuck and / or maybe the family was contacted by the FBI ….who knows....but that's it.   He was listed at a bit over 200 pounds and is not a "banger" and has had modest playing time at UK.      

Would have been nice to have him but JMO, once UK and Duke got more interested he was likely gone anyway...picked UK over duke and UNC. .   

SO....we have AW and no backup for him last two seasons, this year or in next year's class.    BP does not have much of a history with big inside men and could be that hurts in trying to get a top guy.....so probably we need to get a couple less stellar recruits and develop them over a couple years...maybe some foreign players or whatever works...JMO

I don’t think you’re ever gonna consistently see Bruce sign guys like Wiley. Bruce likes small ball and for all his bigs to be able to play both offensively and defensively on the perimeter. Wiley can’t do that

9 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

I don’t think you’re ever gonna consistently see Bruce sign guys like Wiley. Bruce likes small ball and for all his bigs to be able to play both offensively and defensively on the perimeter. Wiley can’t do that

ABSOLUTELY not true