2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Tiger Growlin

27 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Would love if all of this makes Walker Kessler consider AU a bit more. Doubtful, I know, as he's a UGA legacy but I would imagine our run has really put all of our targets on notice. The idea of a 6'10+ stretch 5 in our offense is sooo enticing to me.

After watching his highlights I keep getting a Ryan Kelly (from Duke about 4-5 years ago) vibe from him. Possibly overrated as a 5 star but the offensive fit for us could be incredible. I see he's pretty much Georgia or Tennessee at this point but who knows what a Final Four run can do for us in recruiting

Thankfully it seems like all the recent news about Kessler is about Duke. If they push for him he def will go there which is great since we will not have to play him any unless we see them in the NCAA tourney. I do not want Crean to get on a recruiting roll and build some momentum. Hopefully Anthony Edwards is the exception and not the norm when it comes to their future recruiting. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Especially a FF run for a coach like Pearl. When you give a platform like this to a personality like his, man, watch out. That dude is to college basketball coaches what Emeril Lagasse was to chefs back in the day. He's a rock star and he makes AU hoops fun and cool- in addition to good- just like he did for UT.

Obviously not saying anything that you folks don't already know better than I do. Just trying to soak it up and thinking about how much branding matters. I'd bet that the perception of Florida basketball is still different in the post-Donovan era, just like the perception of their football team is different in the post-Spurrier era (with Mullen threatening to make perception a reality, just like Meyer did.)

I know bro that's what's so damn exciting about this! We know we have the man to capitalize on what we have going here right now. That hasn't been the case during our other money making sport's blips of national level success over the past decade. I don't want to overstep but this seems more like a launching point than any of those other moments felt. Bruce is already a rockstar recruiter, just imagine how his pitch would be with a Final Four as one of his selling points. You're spot on, he's the best thing for our brand from personality to playing style and everything in between. We are so lucky

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Thankfully it seems like all the recent news about Kessler is about Duke. If they push for him he def will go there which is great since we will not have to play him any unless we see them in the NCAA tourney. I do not want Crean to get on a recruiting roll and build some momentum. Hopefully Anthony Edwards is the exception and not the norm when it comes to their future recruiting. 

Would love if he went to Duke. Same here on Crean. I do NOT want to see him getting studs. He's a very good coach there's no doubt about that -- if he starts getting talent that will not be good for the rest of us. I'm still trying to figure out how he got Anthony Edwards. I hope Claxton goes pro too that will hurt them some in the short term if it happens

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Would love if he went to Duke. Same here on Crean. I do NOT want to see him getting studs. He's a very good coach there's no doubt about that -- if he starts getting talent that will not be good for the rest of us. I'm still trying to figure out how he got Anthony Edwards. I hope Claxton goes pro too that will hurt them some in the short term if it happens

You and me both. I mean there has never been a worse possible time to go play basketball for Georgia hahaha. I guess he sees where he can be THE MAN there immediately and there is no one else who would impede that from happening in what is likely his only year of college ball. He wants to put up some great numbers and then bounce. Hopefully Claxton leaves as well. With just Anthony Edwards and no one really else I still cannot see them making the tourney.

3 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

All of my UGA friends are annoying me saying “we have the #1 recruit committed to us.”  What I don’t understand is how any recruit would want to play for him after he threw his team under the bus after one of his many bad losses saying “It’s not my fault, these aren’t my players.”  I feel like we could easily use that quote in our recruiting pitch to the guy.  

• Like 1

I don’t think AU will wind up getting Kessler. Apparently Bruce is more heavily pursuing Clifford Omoruyi. But Kessler loved Vandy so their Bryce Drew getting canned definitely helps us

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Maybe we need to sign some big and tall men from the juco ranks.

A4e...is the rumor true that you have entered the transfer portal and will be leaving Auburn? Or have you thought about just entering the draft?

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Tiger said:

Dumpster fire of a team, lousy program with little winning tradition, dumpy arena, nerdy coach who underachieved at Indiana and then threw his own team under the bus this season during a losing streak. Sure, makes perfect sense that the top player in America wanted to get in on that. After that and George Pickens, I am not taking another word from a UGA fan about anything AU has ever done. 

• Like 4

Winning the SEC, beating North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky to get to the final 4 is awesome. Winning 30 games and beating UAT twice in the same year totally awesome.

• Like 2

any updates?   

Are we hot in the recruiting circles?  

That guy who committed to Uga and Crean is a fluke in my view.    He has a lot to prove...got run out of the home of college basketball and can't see him being a serous recruiting threat in this area.   Could be wrong but even a stud or two is not going to overcome Crean's coaching. 

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

That guy who committed to Uga and Crean is a fluke in my view.    He has a lot to prove...got run out of the home of college basketball and can't see him being a serous recruiting threat in this area.   Could be wrong but even a stud or two is not going to overcome Crean's coaching. 

Absolutely kind of flukey but they’ll be good next year if Claxton doesn’t go pro this summer. 

• Like 1

Greg Brown (5 star F from TX) says Auburn is among the three schools recruiting him the hardest, and he plans to visit. Info here: https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Greg-Brown-Planning-Return-Visit-to-UNC-Basketball-130956755/

This kid is scary attacking the rim. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dunndone414 said:

Greg Brown (5 star F from TX) says Auburn is among the three schools recruiting him the hardest, and he plans to visit. Info here: https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Article/Greg-Brown-Planning-Return-Visit-to-UNC-Basketball-130956755/

This kid is scary attacking the rim. 

Whoever made that video is a 5* nerd with some gaaam!

• Like 1

I’d feel better if one of his first four wasn’t Texas.

31 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I’d feel better if one of his first four wasn’t Texas.

Shaka Smart could easily be canned next season. I’d almost be more worried that Buzz Williams and A&M gets in the mix

• Like 1

Seems he’s more looking for fit and relationships than closeness to home!

Okoro playing on the Deuce in the Hoops Summit. Since I have watched, he hasn't touched the ball much to see his game.  Played a good bit of minutes though. 

stephen hooks has some interesting things to say about the next recruiting class...i think he is being a bit optimistic, but he is really connected to bruce....he has said that we should not be surprised to see us finish #1 in recruiting and was very confident about it and that kessler was far from a uga lock,far from it.....you can go to the scout board and read what he says and after i read it, it made getting robbed a tiny bit easier to accept,although i never will completely accept it

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

stephen hooks has some interesting things to say about the next recruiting class...i think he is being a bit optimistic, but he is really connected to bruce....he has said that we should not be surprised to see us finish #1 in recruiting and was very confident about it and that kessler was far from a uga lock,far from it.....you can go to the scout board and read what he says and after i read it, it made getting robbed a tiny bit easier to accept,although i never will completely accept it

Duke has the momentum on Kessler for now. Fine by me!!! He was never coming here so as long as Georgia does not get him I am good. 

• Like 2