2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Tiger Growlin

ByJASON CALDWELL 
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

The nation’s leading high scorer at the high school level a year ago from Lindsay Lane Christian Academy in Athens, Ala., and already over 4,000 points for his career, 6-1 guard Tommy Murr has picked up where he left off with an impressive start to his summer last weekend playing for Alabama Fusion at the Nike EYBL in Atlanta.

Averaging 45.1 points per game as a junior, the 2020 prospect was part of a loaded team last weekend, but in his most extensive playing time (19 minutes) he scored 20 points and pulled down four rebounds in a win over Team Durant.

His performance has already garnered him an offer from Tennessee Tech and new Coach John Pelphrey.  Expected to get visits from Southern Miss, Samford and others this week, Murr is hoping there are more to come following his strong weekend of play.

“It really picked up last summer and continued through high school ball,” Murr said of his recruitment. “It’s not as big as it is during the summer, of course, but right now there are about 50-55 Division I interests. There are a few offers. I’m hoping that will change this summer.

“I feel confident in my game.," he said. "I’m excited for this summer and especially playing on the EYBL circuit. It’s the best players in the world for this age. I feel like I have the opportunity and the stage to do so. That’s the focus, playing my game, being unselfish and doing all the little things that coaches like to see.”

One of the teams that is showing interest in Murr is Auburn. In attendance over the weekend to watch him play in person, the Tigers have been in contact with Steven Pearl talking with Murr about the program. He was also in for a game last season when the Tigers took down Murray State and likely first round NBA Draft choice Ja Morant.

“That was a real good game,” Murr said. “It was over break so all the students weren’t there, but you can tell on TV it’s a great environment. I love Auburn. They’re always at our games. I feel comfortable with where we are right now.”

Already very familiar with the program with it being an in-state school, Murr said watching the Tigers advance to the Final Four last year showed him how serious the program is about basketball.

“I loved the program before they went to the Final Four, but seeing that and especially being in the SEC, it shows everyone that they’re more than football,” Murr said. “That’s a lot of what we focus on at Alabama Fusion. People look at Alabama and think football, but we’re trying to show them that there’s a whole lot more than football.

“Seeing guys like Jared Harper, that’s the kind of guys Coach Pearl recruits and I feel like that’s the type of player I am. I really model my game after those guys. It’s a great program and you have seen so many guys prosper. They like to play fast and get the ball up and shoot it. I feel like it would be a great fit.”

Still waiting on an offer from Auburn, Murr said he feels like that could come soon and if it does the Tigers are definitely very much in the mix for him.

“They’re a top three school for me definitely,” Murr said. “Moving forward I feel like they’re just going to move up on the list. If I play my game this summer and be myself I feel like I’ll get the offer.”

some talented PGs in this 2020 class we have to sort through......Sharif, Sears, Murr . Hard not to fall in love with these under the radar types after the run we had with Harper and Brown

25 minutes ago, gravejd said:

some talented PGs in this 2020 class we have to sort through......Sharif, Sears, Murr . Hard not to fall in love with these under the radar types after the run we had with Harper and Brown

Seems like the only way a guy like Murr plays at Auburn now is if he takes a walk on offer. Would love to have him in that situation, but have to imagine he’s destined for a mid major. Auburn seems to be on several top PGs in case Cooper were to fall through.  

I should add, Harper was the #90 ranked HS recruit in his class, and lit up the Peach Jam before his senior season (including dropping 34 and 8 vs Jayson Tatum in the final.) He was definitely underrated, but not exactly under the radar when he was at this point in his recruiting cycle. 

Edited by Dunndone414
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Seems like the only way a guy like Murr plays at Auburn now is if he takes a walk on offer. Would love to have him in that situation, but have to imagine he’s destined for a mid major. Auburn seems to be on several top PGs in case Cooper were to fall through.  

I should add, Harper was the #90 ranked HS recruit in his class, and lit up the Peach Jam before his senior season (including dropping 34 and 8 vs Jayson Tatum in the final.) He was definitely underrated, but not exactly under the radar when he was at this point in his recruiting cycle. 

Very true on Harper....his recruiting picked up later in the process. We were very lucky to get on him early

Yeah. Jared was the #56 overall recruit on Rivals and definitely blew up after that peach jam dominance. The idea that he was under the radar was played up a bit just bc of his size and it makes for a nice story I guess

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Want! 6'8" shooting guard!

14 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Kentucky has been getting all of the CBs lately.

Edited by GwillMac6

Wisconsin sure has been having some good prospects out of their state lately

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Guess that recorded phone convo isn’t slowing wade down any

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Guess that recorded phone convo isn’t slowing wade down any

Guess Watford got a "Strong ass offer" then lol.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:20 AM, GwillMac6 said:

The nation’s leading high scorer at the high school level a year ago from Lindsay Lane Christian Academy in Athens, Ala., and already over 4,000 points for his career, 6-1 guard Tommy Murr has picked up where he left off

This kid plays for the Christian School where I’m involved with Upward B-ball. I don’t remember him playing UBB, which is a Christian League for kids 4 yrs- 12th grade. He dominates like nobody I’ve ever heard of from this area!

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, toddc said:

This kid plays for the Christian School where I’m involved with Upward B-ball. I don’t remember him playing UBB, which is a Christian League for kids 4 yrs- 12th grade. He dominates like nobody I’ve ever heard of from this area!

I used to referee Upward basketball in Trussville.  Had the most fun doing that.  I was involved with youth ministry and loved those kids...

• Like 3

On 5/24/2019 at 7:55 PM, toddc said:

His AAU team just finished playing in Dallas and qualified for the peach jam. Mark Sears jadan Coleman turning alot of heads. Coleman picked up a Georgia and Alabama offer

• Like 1

Any word on how the "big" recruiting weekend went? Would love to hear we could get a surprise with this Kessler kid. I had never actually given us any chance to sign him but his name keeps coming up so maybe there is something there

23 hours ago, gravejd said:

Any word on how the "big" recruiting weekend went? Would love to hear we could get a surprise with this Kessler kid. I had never actually given us any chance to sign him but his name keeps coming up so maybe there is something there

That’s this weekend. 

1 minute ago, Gene Loblaw said:

That’s this weekend. 

ah thanks for the info....i had just assumed it was over the memorial day weekend. I hope they like us!! 

Retweeted

Walker Kessler (#15 ESPN) will visit Auburn this weekend. Greg Brown (#4 ESPN) will visit Auburn next week. Sharife Cooper, #1 in USA Today’s Chosen 25, is an Auburn lean. Auburn is heavily involved with Brandon Boston (ESPN #6). This could be a special class for Auburn.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

@ellitor can we change the title of this thread to 2020 crootin thread? Or start a new one to pin to the top?

anyway

You can start a new one if you want. @Gene Loblaw. I really can't be involved at that level anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand the team is practicing now. I am assuming that they are practicing without the coaches is that correct?  If coaches can't run the practices are they allowed to create an outline of what they want during practice?  If players are practicing on their own is it safe to assume they are practicing as a group together and are people allowed to watch them when they are practicing?  If people are allowed to watch the practices have any of you watched any and if you have can you give us periodic updates on how they look as a group and how they look individually?