2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Tiger Growlin

5 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

i think he’s incrementally working to change that, but he’s just saying AU is gonna have a hard time pulling in top 20 players until some things change.

what is he saying needs to change?  :dunno:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

what is he saying needs to change?  :dunno:

The perception among kids that AU is a place that can get you to the nba. We haven’t put a player in the nba since Marquis Daniels I believe. We gotta change that

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

What was up with Bruce's initial statement of saying unless the talent is deep in a particular class we can't "just can't do well recruiting"? Then he changed it to "it's hard to".

Bruce has never had trouble bringing in talent. How much did the FBI thing affect our recruiting this cycle? Was it just me or was Bruce slightly more chill than usual during his presser when talking about the new signees?

If it's not deep right now all the guys are teaming up and between that and going to the major programs, if they are just top heavy it's hard to get a top ten class

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wish we'd recruit niven Glover, I guess Georgia is going to end up with him. He's limited on offense but he's actually good at catch and shoot, and he'll be a fantastic defender

39 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Wish we'd recruit niven Glover, I guess Georgia is going to end up with him. He's limited on offense but he's actually good at catch and shoot, and he'll be a fantastic defender

Just looked at his profile page. Dude is way too small to play the three in Bruce's system. Just fyi. An expert told me that

3 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Just looked at his profile page. Dude is way too small to play the three in Bruce's system. Just fyi. An expert told me that

Lol but it's great size at 2 guard....isn't this what got you a vacation last time? I mean I don't care go ahead and be a dummy if you want. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

17 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Stop with the veiled pointless jabs. Could get you shipped out permanently if you don't learn from your recent time out & why it was given.

• Like 1

Note that Watford is not considering AU...is there a history there or ???  

Never given AU a sniff.  Goes to a wealthy predominantly Bama high school.  Could simple be an anywhere but auburn thing

have no reason to say it but I assume there is a more to the story type reason.  I predict Memphis 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

So are we really looking to add more to the 2019 class. We signed 5...hard to imagine room for another

Right now AU has 11 guys on scholarship. Ten playing and Jamaal Johnson sitting out because of the transfer. Horace, Bryce, and Dunbar are all seniors this year so they'll be gone. That leaves AU with 8. Add 5 recruits and that's the maximum of 13. Gotta think they're will be some attrition one way or another with at least one player transferring or going pro (college basketball programs average 3 transfers per team or something each year). So Au will definitely have the numbers to add one more guy even if it's just Wiley going pro.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gravejd said:

So are we really looking to add more to the 2019 class. We signed 5...hard to imagine room for another

14 minutes ago, gravejd said:

That was poor wording...do the numbers give us room for another?

Yes if any non-SR leaves. I expect we will have to add at least 1 & maybe up to 3.

5 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Right now AU has 11 guys on scholarship. Ten playing and Jamaal Johnson sitting out because of the transfer. Horace, Bryce, and Dunbar are all seniors this year so they'll be gone. That leaves AU with 8. Add 5 recruits and that's the maximum of 13. Gotta think they're will be some attrition one way or another with at least one player transferring or going pro (college basketball programs average 3 transfers per team or something each year). So Au will definitely have the numbers to add one more guy even if it's just Wiley going pro.

I shouldn't have even replied. Lol Good job Gene!

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yes if any non-SR leaves. I expect we will have to add at least 1 & maybe up to 3.

And again...what's the story on Watford ?     Nobody on this site even mentions him?    Issues?  or what?  

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And again...what's the story on Watford ?     Nobody on this site even mentions him?    Issues?  or what?  

pretty sure he told AU there was no chance he was going there very early in the process, so Bruce and co didn't even waste their time with him. I think Bruce and co have most of their connections in the atlanta/georgia area anyway. Besides Austin, who was a legacy, Danjel is the only top 100 recruit that Bruce has pulled from the state of alabama during his tenure so far. Hopefully that trend kind of breaks this next cycle though because I know Bruce is targeting a top 50 shooting guard in the state.

31 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

pretty sure he told AU there was no chance he was going there very early in the process, so Bruce and co didn't even waste their time with him. I think Bruce and co have most of their connections in the atlanta/georgia area anyway. Besides Austin, who was a legacy, Danjel is the only top 100 recruit that Bruce has pulled from the state of alabama during his tenure so far. Hopefully that trend kind of breaks this next cycle though because I know Bruce is targeting a top 50 shooting guard in the state.

Looks like he might be going out of state....Only five 5* players signing in the entire SEC...Tenn, Ky and UF got em all. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Looks like he might be going out of state....Only five 5* players signing in the entire SEC...Tenn, Ky and UF got em all. 

Isaac Okoro won a gold medal for team USA playing with a lot of those guys. To me, he’s a 5 star talent but I get your point

58 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Isaac Okoro won a gold medal for team USA playing with a lot of those guys. To me, he’s a 5 star talent but I get your point

Hope that's the case.....SEC east looking pretty strong this year....opposite of football.  By and large the SEC is not looking too strong this season...nor is the recruiting that robust either.   

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Hope that's the case.....SEC east looking pretty strong this year....opposite of football.  By and large the SEC is not looking too strong this season...nor is the recruiting that robust either.   

Trying to translate b-ball recruiting rankings to success on the court is way different than football imo just because there’s just a way smaller amount of data and players. Every year football teams sign 20+ players. It varies so much for b-ball year to year bc the roster size is so much smaller so there’s less data to make correlation s. I wouldn’t get too caught up in team rankings. AU signed a damn good class this cycle and I expect AU to be set up to be a top 15 program for as long as Bruce is there

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Trying to translate b-ball recruiting rankings to success on the court is way different than football imo just because there’s just a way smaller amount of data and players. Every year football teams sign 20+ players. It varies so much for b-ball year to year bc the roster size is so much smaller so there’s less data to make correlation s. I wouldn’t get too caught up in team rankings. AU signed a damn good class this cycle and I expect AU to be set up to be a top 15 program for as long as Bruce is there

That's reasonable but we've seen that just a couple studs can totally turn a basketball team around.   JMO but it's possible to make a more immediate impact with a very good recruiting class in basketball than football and of course it can fall off quickly if some of the bb players go "one and done".    

Still.....I wonder about the strength of the conference this year and how that can affect our ranking in a couple months. .