2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Tiger Growlin

19 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

oh god yes

He saw all the talent we have at 1 -4 and our need for a 5* CENTER so please come join Auburn.

I'm glad Kessler got to see how amped AU Arena can get vs Kentucky. I figured he would be going to one of the blue bloods but it looks like he only has 8 offers at this time:

UVA, Vandy, TAMU, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Illinois, UGA, and us. IDK what this means but Rivals has him as 48% Tennessee in their Commitment Forecast. 

I know it's extremely unlikely but he would be perfect for us. He's 7'0 and can shoot the 3. Might not be a force on the glass but if we can have a giant like that on the floor that can also hit 3s oh boy

The 48% you’re talking about is the fan futurecast. Just a bunch of random yahoos with a rivals account voting. I would put zero stock into it.

i have zero idea where he’ll go but he speaks very highly of his relationship with Bruce in every article that he’s been interviewed 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

I'm glad Kessler got to see how amped AU Arena can get vs Kentucky. I figured he would be going to one of the blue bloods but it looks like he only has 8 offers at this time:

UVA, Vandy, TAMU, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Illinois, UGA, and us. IDK what this means but Rivals has him as 48% Tennessee in their Commitment Forecast. 

I know it's extremely unlikely but he would be perfect for us. He's 7'0 and can shoot the 3. Might not be a force on the glass but if we can have a giant like that on the floor that can also hit 3s oh boy

If he can't play defense he'll be a liability though. To be on the court I always look at it as you have to be able to perform your minimum requirements at the position, then after that they give you the extra or special

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

If he can't play defense he'll be a liability though. To be on the court I always look at it as you have to be able to perform your minimum requirements at the position, then after that they give you the extra or special

I really don't know anything about the kid other than the quick clip I watched on his recruiting profile. 9th ranked player nationally in his class, extremely tall, and can shoot was all I could gather in a minute. I think anyone at his height would be a great addition for us even if he's a subpar defender just because we sorely lack size/length plus the fact he can shoot means it's a better fit for what we want to do. Of course he can't be trash on D but I'd love to see our system incorporate a stretch-7 footer. 

• Like 2

I watched some of his film as mentioned he has a nice shot very good form on the three and effortless. He also has a fall away jump shot in the paint. He handles the ball pretty well for a big man and will drive on people.  Because of his height he does a decent job of shot blocking.  Didn't see much of his rebounding so difficult to say if he will be strong there. He runs fairly well. He needs to add muscle and weight or he will be pushed around.  His hands did not appear to be that strong  again he needs to get with a strength and conditioning coach.

He would help us with our length issues and with his three point shooting would keep other teams Center out of the post. He is good enough to get PT as a freshman but would not initially be a starter unless he gets stronger.  The film I watched was from this past summer so he has time to get stronger before getting here assuming we can get him to come here.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, autan said:

Isn't this kid a UGA legacy?

I believe he has an uncle Alex Kessler who played at UGA. Alex was a very good player drafted by the NBA. Alex passed away in 2007

On 1/24/2019 at 5:29 PM, autan said:

Isn't this kid a UGA legacy?

definitely....No way he is coming to Auburn w/ this GA pedigree....

Alec Kessler's brother, Chad, also played for the Georgia Bulldogs basketball team, and Chad's son, Houston Kessler (Alec's nephew), signed a letter of intent to play for the Bulldogs in the 2012–13 season

He must be Chad Kessler's other son.

Kid is just enjoying the OV VIP treatment.  and helps our recruiting to have 5* visitors.  So it's a win win I guess for AU and Kessler.

Somebody his size that can shoot will absolutely force other bigs to clear the lane ... will work great for the athletes that signed this year cuz I think all of those guys can get to the basket ... with no defender standing inside 

I see the big center who is a long shot ..but otherwise, if we sign the current class it seems we are pretty much duplicating what he have now....no gain in size or bulk….considering that three weigh less than 200 points and none are bigger than Spencer or AMac.   

Wiley remains a question mark....go pro, not go pro, injury prone, not quite the 5* we expected, etc.

How do we intend to deal with the rest of the league and the bulky inside guys who seem to own the middle when they play us.? 

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

I see the big center who is a long shot ..but otherwise, if we sign the current class it seems we are pretty much duplicating what he have now....no gain in size or bulk….considering that three weigh less than 200 points and none are bigger than Spencer or AMac.   

Wiley remains a question mark....go pro, not go pro, injury prone, not quite the 5* we expected, etc.

How do we intend to deal with the rest of the league and the bulky inside guys who seem to own the middle when they play us.? 

Well i don't think you can just look at the kids measurables and know if they can guard on the inside. Last year our best defender down low was Murray and he certainly didn't have much size on him. Okoro seems to be known as a really good defender. Stretch is certainly known for his defensive game more than his offensive game at this point. And Turbo will give us more bulk and length at the PG position. I'm not sure how the other signees stack up on the defensive side. But I don't think you can look at the class and see that we have no one over 6'10" signed and say oh we'll struggle guarding the inside next year because of that. I mean i'm sure if we can find a 7 footer that wants to play here we won't turn him down but those aint easy to find. Just need guys with a bit more lead in the pencil

Okoro is a stud perimeter defender and apparently will be an immediate upgrade for us on that side of the ball from what I can gather. Which is so sorely needed as we can all see. He may be a liability on O to start but he has been locking up the highest rated kids in HS apparently. Like stifling them to wayyyy below their average in points is what I've read by some HS recruiting analysts.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Well i don't think you can just look at the kids measurables and know if they can guard on the inside. Last year our best defender down low was Murray and he certainly didn't have much size on him. Okoro seems to be known as a really good defender. Stretch is certainly known for his defensive game more than his offensive game at this point. And Turbo will give us more bulk and length at the PG position. I'm not sure how the other signees stack up on the defensive side. But I don't think you can look at the class and see that we have no one over 6'10" signed and say oh we'll struggle guarding the inside next year because of that. I mean i'm sure if we can find a 7 footer that wants to play here we won't turn him down but those aint easy to find. Just need guys with a bit more lead in the pencil

agree with this.

There are inside players that are great defenders in the middle b/c they have other skills other than height that help them defend( positioning, leaping ability, shot blocking...etc). I think we have that too in Okoro and Akingbolo certainly bring defensive skills to the perimeter and inside. 

It would be nice to have some bulk inside too, so it would be nice to have Wiley one more year, but even with his current injury, he has to try the NBA, even though he may be a risk due to chronic injuries. But it could be still just growing pains of a young man growing into his body... 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Just need guys with a bit more lead in the pencil

Reasonable point but I would never question the motivation of Spencer and AMac......both work hard but I've been watching them get pushed around in just about every game of the year thus far.  JMO but you can only get so far on attitude. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Reasonable point but I would never question the motivation of Spencer and AMac......both work hard but I've been watching them get pushed around in just about every game of the year thus far.  JMO but you can only get so far on attitude. 

Then how do you explain last year we were so much better on D?

19 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Then how do you explain last year we were so much better on D?

Not sure how much better we were.     Murray was a factor and had 230+ pounds packed on a 6-3 frame and could push with the best of them.  I could be wrong but I never considered Heron a great defender though he got his share of rebounds.     Otherwise,  it's the same guys playing most of them minutes who have not seemed to improved.   So back to:   who is coaching them?  and what are the expectations?   and how did the coaches respond the other night when Miss State slashed though our defense like it was jello and just took away a game we could have won.     

And there it is.....

I blaming the players for the poor defense while you are blaming the coaches. I imagine expectations, scheme, and coaching has not changed a lot from last season. I think playing good D in college bball is 80% effort and 20% scheme. Congrats on your opportunity to dog Pearl and the bball coaches though

• Like 1