2018 Fall Camp - Day 1

WFE12

link

Day 1 - 

Auburn opened fall camp on Friday with a pair of injured wide receivers active but limited.

Will Hastings and Eli Stove, both of whom are recovering from spring ACL tears, were in orange jerseys on Friday but were able to run short routes during a pass-catching drill for the receivers early on in practice. Auburn coach Gus Malzahn has not provided a timetable for when he hopes the two could make a full return, though he has remained optimistic that they will see the field at some point this season.

Some other observations from Day 1 of fall camp:

-- Auburn's first-team defense during drills looked like this:

Defensive line: Marlon Davidson at defensive end, Dontavius Russell at defensive tackle, Derrick Brown at defensive tackle and T.D. Moultry at Buck. Andrew Williams rotated in at defensive tackle with Russell, while Nick Coe also rotated in at defensive end.

Linebacker: Deshaun Davis and Darrell Williams

Cornerback: Javaris Davis and Noah Igbinoghene

Nickel: Jayvaughn Myers

Safety: Jeremiah Dinson (who was in an orange non-contact jersey) and Daniel Thomas

-- Jamel Dean, an expected starter, was on the sideline and rotating it at corner as well. 

-- Auburn's first-team offensive line had Prince Tega Wanogho Jr. at left tackle, Marquel Harrell at left guard, Kaleb Kim at center, Mike Horton at right guard and Austin Troxell at right tackle.

-- UMass grad transfer Jack Driscoll got second-team reps at right tackle, while Calvin Ashley saw second-team action at right guard. Ashley was competing at right tackle throughout the spring.

-- Offensive linemen Nick Brahms (leg) and Brodarious Hamm (knee) were both in orange non-contact jerseys, as was defensive lineman Daquan Newkirk (Achilles). Brahms was expected to be "somewhat limited" to start camp, while Hamm injured his knee on A-Day and Newkirk tore his Achilles the day before spring practice began.

-- Tucker Brown was also getting reps at center, as expected, with Brahms limited.

-- Freshman running back Harold Joiner was working with Auburn's wide receivers. Joiner is expected to play as many as four different positions within Auburn's offense, so this isn't surprising.

-- Sophomore Devan Barrett was also working with the wide receivers. Barrett was splitting time between running back and receiver in the spring, though he is more likely to see the field at receiver this fall.

-- Kam Martin got first-team reps at running back, as expected. Auburn was rotating running backs -- as well as quarterbacks and H-backs -- during a drill late in the viewing period. Martin and Chandler Cox were both taking handoffs from Jarrett Stidham, while Malik Miller was taking handoffs from Malik Willis, and JaTarvious Whitlow and Asa Martin were both taking handoffs from Joey Gatewood

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

SAL CAUGHT A BALL....I SAW 'EM!!

Man the heights and weight on the players coming into camp look almost perfect.  You’d have to be picky to find much if any adjustments to make on the players.

Had to wait til the end of practice and the press conference to say this but I'm glad no one was missing for something stupid they did over the summer or some mystery reason. We sure could do without the drama from that. 

50 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn why do they have the overhead door open letting out the air cond..................that's costing money

Lives in Florida... bitches about air conditioning.  Keep the door shut letting all the cold air out.  Get off my lawn!!  :flame::poke:

11 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Lives in Florida... bitches about air conditioning.  Keep the door shut letting all the cold air out.  Get off my lawn!!  :flame::poke:

Dang straight its African hot down here

4 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Dang straight its African hot down here

Dang right!

It's Africa on the Equator hot right now!

2 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Had to wait til the end of practice and the press conference to say this but I'm glad no one was missing for something stupid they did over the summer or some mystery reason. We sure could do without the drama from that. 

My nomination for post of the day!

Archived