Not sure this really counts but...

iron-bowl-2017---alabama-football-at-auburn-6f5e78ec0913e416.jpg

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I have no idea, but I also don't know the last time we threw it out if the WC

True statement 

If you really think you have a Heisman candidate and all SEC QB,  why would you ever take him out from under center....,to put a question mark on the field at a critical time?

41 minutes ago, japantiger said:

If you really think you have a Heisman candidate and all SEC QB,  why would you ever take him out from under center....,to put a question mark on the field at a critical time?

Well, our coach is apparently scared of throwing the ball inside the redzone so.... 

On 8/5/2018 at 8:38 AM, japantiger said:

If they do have wildcat this year, I assume it will be like last year where we roll JS out and moving RB into QB spot.  Though I do agree that taking the ball out of the hands of someone who could be Heisman material sounds a bit fishy...

On 8/4/2018 at 8:49 PM, DAG said:

Can shivers throw? We have heard about the fantastic moves he has but I would like to have the throwing option if available. I guess if you can make anyone miss, it really doesn’t matter though.

and I mean legitimately throw. I am not talking about he played QB in high school because he was the best athlete. 

Even if he can it would have to be some type of roll out pass.. It would be a tough pass for him to throw anything over the linemens head.

7 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I say scrap it this year and develop some short/intermediate passing plays.  Crossing patterns over the middle or maybe even some slants?!

You mean, REAL football forward pass plays!?!?!

On 8/5/2018 at 8:38 AM, japantiger said:

That’s a fair question 

On August 4, 2018 at 9:24 PM, bigbird said:

I have no idea, but I also don't know the last time we threw it out if the WC

It was the iron bowl.  KJ to NCM for 6.

51 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I say scrap it this year and develop some short/intermediate passing plays.  Crossing patterns over the middle or maybe even some slants?!

I think there's room for both. 

If we have a wildcat QB, it's going to be a guy who is sure-handed and dependable. It's going to be a guy who can consistently get positive yardage in goal line and short yardage situations. My question is, if we have a guy like that, why would we want to add an extra handoff and subtract a blocker from the equation in those situations? We probably would've beaten TAMU in 2014 if not for a botched handoff at the goal line (and bad officiating). 

Now, I'm all for some quick slants. Like many people, I've been screaming for them for years now. But we can just add them. We don't have to subtract anything. 

PS- Our offensive coordinator and his RB at ASU set the record for rushing touchdowns in a game primarily out of the WC. And Joey Gatewood can actually throw the ball. 

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s a fair question 

Eh. We ran the wildcat a lot last season with our Heisman caliber QB shifting out from under center and we were usually successful with it. Now, one might argue that we don't have a guy like KJ anymore, but KJ ran the wildcat several times as a true FR. And Stidham has shown that pocket awareness and ball security aren't his forte when there's pressure. And while we do need to expand the passing options on every down and distance, the wildcat is a much more high percentage play in short yardage situations.

I have no problem believing that the safer play in many cases is to snap it directly to a Joey Gatewood or Shaun Shivers or Asa Martin and let an extra blocker clear the way for an easy 3 yards. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Eh. We ran the wildcat a lot last season with our Heisman caliber QB shifting out from under center and we were usually successful with it. Now, one might argue that we don't have a guy like KJ anymore, but KJ ran the wildcat several times as a true FR. And Stidham has shown that pocket awareness and ball security aren't his forte when there's pressure. And while we do need to expand the passing options on every down and distance, the wildcat is a much more high percentage play in short yardage situations.

I have no problem believing that the safer play in many cases is to snap it directly to a Joey Gatewood or Shaun Shivers or Asa Martin and let an extra blocker clear the way for an easy 3 yards. 

Well the one part I disagree with is JS being a heisman caliber QB last year. It was definitely more efficient for us to use the wildcat in the red zone last year so hard to argue against it. However, I am hoping we can actually get over the hump of our red zone woes , which, IMO is the catalyst for our usage of the wildcat the previous year.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well the one part I disagree with is JS being a heisman caliber QB last year. It was definitely more efficient for us to use the wildcat in the red zone last year so hard to argue against it. However, I am hoping we can actually get over the hump of our red zone woes , which, IMO is the catalyst for our usage of the wildcat the previous year.

Fair point about JS.

I think our red zone woes existed primarily between the 5 and the 20. Seemed we did very well inside the 5. Of course, most teams probably do, lol. Anyway, hopefully we've got some crossing stuff to use now when we're not actually on the goal line yet. 

Are we limiting discussion to red-zone?

Dated, forward-looking, and SIAP but

'Wildcat packages involving Willis next season can only benefit Auburn, as long as the offense is developed. It’s Stidham’s unit, but as the Tigers’ starter put it, rushing yards should be aplenty on The Plains after his departure.

“I always give Malik crap about it because, just like that, he can bust one for 70, 75, 80,” Stidham said. “I’m going to be lucky to get the first down. With him and Kam (Martin) in the backfield, it could be pretty lethal in a couple of years.” '

http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2018/07/fortune-teller-why-malik-willis-is-necessary-for-success-of-auburn-offense

2 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

'Wildcat packages involving Willis next season can only benefit Auburn, as long as the offense is developed. It’s Stidham’s unit, but as the Tigers’ starter put it, rushing yards should be aplenty on The Plains after his departure.

“I always give Malik crap about it because, just like that, he can bust one for 70, 75, 80,” Stidham said. “I’m going to be lucky to get the first down. With him and Kam (Martin) in the backfield, it could be pretty lethal in a couple of years.” '

http://www.theplainsman.com/article/2018/07/fortune-teller-why-malik-willis-is-necessary-for-success-of-auburn-offense

Thanks for that. Maybe it really is as simple as letting MW run it. 

As for somebody's comment about not wanting to take the ball out of Stidham's hands, this is even more shocking than I remember:

Granted, Stidham did fumble in all five of Auburn’s final games of the season

1 hour ago, DAG said:

My suspicion is the mention of "Heisman caliber" might be more of an anticipatory term for this year and not so much last year because KJ was solid as a wildcat and I'm not sure anybody could argue against him.

But this year, it's more questionable as to WHO the WC back will be.  Thus the argument against using the WC at all.  

With that said, I like the WC in short yardage but I do think it works best with a pounder who is at least a threat to toss it.  Is Gatewood that guy?  I don't know.  I've gone on record as saying that I think he runs tentative.  ....but would LOVE for him to prove me wrong.

55 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Personally, I don't look at Malik as a WC quarterback but rather a Nick Marshall type.  He might have done well in the 2013 version of Gus' offense.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I think there's room for both. 

If we have a wildcat QB, it's going to be a guy who is sure-handed and dependable. It's going to be a guy who can consistently get positive yardage in goal line and short yardage situations. My question is, if we have a guy like that, why would we want to add an extra handoff and subtract a blocker from the equation in those situations? We probably would've beaten TAMU in 2014 if not for a botched handoff at the goal line (and bad officiating). 

Now, I'm all for some quick slants. Like many people, I've been screaming for them for years now. But we can just add them. We don't have to subtract anything. 

PS- Our offensive coordinator and his RB at ASU set the record for rushing touchdowns in a game primarily out of the WC. And Joey Gatewood can actually throw the ball. 

I'd be OK with using it if someone emerges as being reliable for those short yardage situations.  I guess I'm just tired of having to use it as a crutch once we get in the RZ.

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

My suspicion is the mention of "Heisman caliber" might be more of an anticipatory term for this year and not so much last year because KJ was solid as a wildcat and I'm not sure anybody could argue against him.

But this year, it's more questionable as to WHO the WC back will be.  Thus the argument against using the WC at all.  

With that said, I like the WC in short yardage but I do think it works best with a pounder who is at least a threat to toss it.  Is Gatewood that guy?  I don't know.  I've gone on record as saying that I think he runs tentative.  ....but would LOVE for him to prove me wrong.

Yeah, somebody else mentioned "Heisman" in reference to this year, which is fair. I unfairly referred to last year, when Stidham was just getting re-acclimated. @DAG was right. 

Just now, atl-tiger said:

I'd be OK with using it if someone emerges as being reliable for those short yardage situations.  I guess I'm just tired of having to use it as a crutch once we get in the RZ.

Hell of a crutch last year. We didn't even have a noticeable limp inside the 5. Outside the 5? Yeah, Gus needs some new material.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah, somebody else mentioned "Heisman" in reference to this year, which is fair. I unfairly referred to last year, when Stidham was just getting re-acclimated. @DAG was right. 

You mean @DAG was right?? NO, not DAG!!!!

Actually, DAG is most often right...

Archived