Washington: biggest game opening weekend

AURex

14 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Since it's the beginning of a new season, I'm nothing but sunshine and rainbows. ?

I'mma gonna give Gus the benefit of the doubt that Amen Corner Gus is the Gus we're gonna have now.  I truly believe the SECCG gameplan egg and choosing to ride KJ into the sunset was a product of his focusing on getting $49M instead of the upcoming game and simply going to his "security blanket" gameplan as discussed in another thread.  I don't excuse it but it's in the past.

I really don't blame anybody for the Peach Bowl fiasco as I completely understand the whole team was deflated.  I know I was, as a fan.  It really shouldn't have been surprising.

So.... moving forward...

I've read enough from Horton, Lindsey, Stidham, KJ, and even Gus that gives me hope for this season and moving forward.  Until we see different, I'm expecting "We Beat the Dawgcrap Outta'em" Gus to lead this team and leave #butgus behind.

Unless there's terrible team/practice news between now and Sept 1st, I'm going to believe Grimes gets the O-Line ready, CCL is more in charge of the play book and the D keeps on keeping on and I'm going to once again go into a season with excitement and confidence.

Washington is a great and exciting opponent.  Frankly I'd love for AU to have Petersen as their HC (unless Gus does step up).  This is a beautiful test to see how real this team is going to be.  I'm excited!

War Eagle!!

AUSince 72....tough to get on board with the above.  Riding KJ, basically going back to the LSU miserable game plan, and not having the team prepared for the Bowl Game;  are what Gus is supposed to do....that is his only job.   And if you really think he was more obsessed with nailing his $7m a year gig vs game planning; then; well, that basically says he was negligent in his most basic duty while he lined his pockets.   While I am all for folks getting what  $$ they can make....the way you put it is  pretty tough to move-on from.  That is, he made a trade-off between himself and his team before one of his only 13 game performances. You're one forgiving guy.  Not sure anyone would have ever thought that possible when talking about Tubberville, Dye, or Jordan.

I am eternally optimistic at game time...but my rationale mind looks at Gus's record (a miserable 60% against teams with a pulse); and our experience  level in key positions; and it's hard to be optimistic about 2018.  It doesn't mean I don't love Auburn; just trying to look at the facts about the year.  But I am doubly pessimistic about the opener trying to get 5 new-inexperienced-linemen to play against a top 6 team....find a running back/running game, etc.   Defense will be great again; that is the real hope for early season performance; if the defense can just overwhelm Washington while the offense sorts itself out; then we have a chance....and that is possible...but seems a stretch.    Hope I am wrong...will be happy to come on here and say "You told me so" if it turns out different.   Seems like the teams chances are better for 2019 or 2020 with some experienced linemen and backs.  

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, japantiger said:

AUSince 72....tough to get on board with the above.  Riding KJ, basically going back to the LSU miserable game plan, and not having the team prepared for the Bowl Game;  are what Gus is supposed to do....that is his only job.   And if you really think he was more obsessed with nailing his $7m a year gig vs game planning; then; well, that basically says he was negligent in his most basic duty while he lined his pockets.   While I am all for folks getting what  $$ they can make....the way you put it is  pretty tough to move-on from.  That is, he made a trade-off between himself and his team before one of his only 13 game performances. You're one forgiving guy.  Not sure anyone would have ever thought that possible when talking about Tubberville, Dye, or Jordan.

I am eternally optimistic at game time...but my rationale mind looks at Gus's record (a miserable 60% against teams with a pulse); and our experience  level in key positions; and it's hard to be optimistic about 2018.  It doesn't mean I don't love Auburn; just trying to look at the facts about the year.  But I am doubly pessimistic about the opener trying to get 5 new-inexperienced-linemen to play against a top 6 team....find a running back/running game, etc.   Defense will be great again; that is the real hope for early season performance; if the defense can just overwhelm Washington while the offense sorts itself out; then we have a chance....and that is possible...but seems a stretch.    Hope I am wrong...will be happy to come on here and say "You told me so" if it turns out different.   Seems like the teams chances are better for 2019 or 2020 with some experienced linemen and backs.  

I have no problem with your thoughts and logic.  I've posted plenty on my disappointment in the team's performance in certain games under Gus.  Even been lumped in with the "whiny" or "negative" group.  And it will probably only take one #butgus type performance to make me sigh, hang my head and say "whelp, here we go again...."

I'm just going to hang some hope that the Gus we saw in amen Corner (post LSU debacle) is the one who's leading now that the contract is out of the way.  I've read enough comments from coaches and players (and even Gus) that has a different feel, to me, and I'm hoping these people have gotten through to him and he's learned some more.

Otherwise, I probably wouldn't care about the upcoming season and wouldn't even be posting.  I just gotta believe!!

War Eagle!

21 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I have no problem with your thoughts and logic.  I've posted plenty on my disappointment in the team's performance in certain games under Gus.  Even been lumped in with the "whiny" or "negative" group.  And it will probably only take one #butgus type performance to make me sigh, hang my head and say "whelp, here we go again...."

I'm just going to hang some hope that the Gus we saw in amen Corner (post LSU debacle) is the one who's leading now that the contract is out of the way.  I've read enough comments from coaches and players (and even Gus) that has a different feel, to me, and I'm hoping these people have gotten through to him and he's learned some more.

Otherwise, I probably wouldn't care about the upcoming season and wouldn't even be posting.  I just gotta believe!!

War Eagle!

I will add that the staff have specifically addressed 3 of the fan base's biggest complaints about the offense from last season: RB rotation, intermediate routes and Stidham having some autonomy at the LoS. Does that mean we'll see it happen on the field? Nope. But they acknowledged what we saw and at least paid it lip service. And Darius Slayton has at least confirmed that they've been working more on the intermediate routes. And we saw Gus trust Lindsey and Stidham more as the season went on last year, so logic would dictate that we start off this season well ahead of where we started off last season. 

Bringing it all back down to Earth, though, #butgus so #logiclol.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I will add that the staff have specifically addressed 3 of the fan base's biggest complaints about the offense from last season: RB rotation, intermediate routes and Stidham having some autonomy at the LoS. Does that mean we'll see it happen on the field? Nope. But they acknowledged what we saw and at least paid it lip service. And Darius Slayton has at least confirmed that they've been working more on the intermediate routes. And we saw Gus trust Lindsey and Stidham more as the season went on last year, so logic would dictate that we start off this season well ahead of where we started off last season. 

Bringing it all back down to Earth, though, #butgus so #logiclol.

Exactly, and it could only be lip service, but these interviews have a different feel.  Seems like some real change....for the better.

And going back to last season, post LSU, I did feel like the offense was different.  I felt like Gus actually relaxed (so to speak) and let Chip handle things more and allowed a more versatile and dynamic game plan each week.   It showed!

My points about that Gus vs SECCG Gus is that, though I was thoroughly pissed at Gus for laying down on the job that week to the point of actually having the coaches in limbo, due to the contract games, that that game wasn't even a #butgus game.  It was simply a throw away with VERY little preparation, and the whole team was hung out to dry by Gus that week....of ALL weeks.  It was just a whole different issue.  I don't forgive him for that but it was an anomaly, in my opinion, and again not your typical #butgus game.

So....with that.  I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt going into 2018.  War Eagle!!!

On 8/4/2018 at 1:20 PM, Brad_ATX said:

So if we only want to look at Power 5 opponents, here's how it stacks up by month under Gus.

Sept: 8-6 (57%)

Oct:  9-5 (64%)

Nov: 10-7 (58%)

That's a solid 2nd place in conference among the active SEC HC's, right?:happydance:

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

And it will probably only take one #butgus type performance to make me sigh, hang my head and say "whelp, here we go again...."

I just don't want to feel like this after the Washington game.

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

No.... Neither do I. LOL!!!

44 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

+1 ran out of reactions. Spot on.

34 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

In-depth article on Browning

Until September 2, he's a first round draft pick as far as I'm concerned. Not calling into question the legitimacy of the article, I just don't want to down play Browning - for my own sanity. I'm too scarred from the Eli Jenkins of this world.

In any event, he is an experienced, senior quarterback - and that scares me more than anything else.

A lot of really good college football players aren’t nfl material, but are really good college football players! He may be one, or both.

14 minutes ago, toddc said:

A lot of really good college football players aren’t nfl material, but are really good college football players! He may be one, or both.

Pat Sullivan

1 hour ago, WFE12 said:

In-depth article on Browning

Ewww.... Wonder where Browning's tape was before he sniffed it?  That could really effect the results.

21 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

This may be true but he’s sure to have the game of his life against Auburn?

haha it sure seems that way over the last few decades. I am holding out hope that our defense is finally going to hold them in check this time. 

10 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Until September 2, he's a first round draft pick as far as I'm concerned. Not calling into question the legitimacy of the article, I just don't want to down play Browning - for my own sanity. I'm too scarred from the Eli Jenkins of this world.

In any event, he is an experienced, senior quarterback - and that scares me more than anything else.

Exactamundo. Can't underestimate anyone with our history.

Archived