Hurts frustrated with QB situation

djg0017

Speaking to reporters for the first time since he was benched at halftime of the national championship game in January, Jalen Hurts expressed disappointment with the way Alabama's quarterback battle has been handled during the offseason.

Hurts, who is in competition with Tua Tagovailoa for the starting job, said there have been times when he's been frustrated by what he described as "rumors" and "speculation" and "people making decisions for me."

"When I look at the things that are being said -- and I'm not looking for it, it comes to me -- when I see that those things are being said, that's silly because, 'He said this, he said that, maybe Coach [Nick] Saban said this,'" Hurts said. "Whoever said whatever, what did Jalen say? Not a thing."

In particular, Hurts said he was "shocked" when Saban told reporters at SEC media days that he had "no idea" whether Hurts would be on the roster opening day. Shortly thereafter, Hurts met with Saban to set the record straight that he was intent on staying, regardless of whether he started, and graduating in December.

"I mean, this is a situation that is uncontrollable," Hurts said. "Coaches can't control this situation. They dictate who plays, but as far as the other variations to it, they don't control it, honestly. Like I said, this whole spring, ever since the game, they kind of wanted to let it play out, and I guess didn't think it was a thing to let it die down like there wasn't something there. But that's always been the elephant in the room.

"For me, no one came up to me the whole spring, coaches included, no one asked me how I felt. No one asked me what was on my mind. No one asked me how I felt about the things that were going on. Nobody asked me what my future held. That's that. So now it's like when we try to handle the situation now, for me, it's kind of late, it's too late, the narrative has already been created."

Hurts said that he would have liked to have seen more concern from his coaches.

"But I don't necessarily think they were not concerned, because they're definitely concerned," he explained. "I just don't think that maybe they were bold enough to ask. Like, it was, I know it's there, but I don't want to talk about it. I definitely think it was something that should have been talked about a long time ago instead of being talked about when it's here."

Saban, for his part, has insisted that the competition between Hurts and Tagovailoa isn't close to being decided.

Hurts, who is 26-2 as a starter and threw 17 touchdowns to one interception last season, has the edge in terms of experience. But Tagovailoa, who threw three touchdowns in the come-from-behind win of the national championship, is as talented a passer as Saban has had during his time at Alabama.

"With the success that I've had here in my first two years, I've built a brand for myself, and I've tried to represent this university in the best way I can," Hurts said.

Saban said on Saturday that the decision will be made at a "higher level" based on "consistency in performance" and leadership.

"You guys are totally fixated on who has to be first team and who is second team. Why?" Saban asked reporters, frustrated by the line of questioning.

Asked about the possibility of playing both QBs, Saban said that they don't focus on "creating negative contingencies."

"We haven't done it at all," Saban said. "We're practicing every day, we're evaluating every day. ... I want them to be focused on what they have to do to win."

Hurts said he's approaching the competition the same way he did when he entered Alabama as a true freshman fighting for a spot on the team.

"I know what I need to do," he said. "I'm definitely not looking over my shoulder. I'm not worried about anybody else. I'm just worried about me, Jalen Hurts, being the best player that I can be, be the best quarterback that I can be."

Tagovailoa, for his part, said he's not focused on winning the job.

"I don't think that's ever been in my persona," he said. "I think what we have to do as a team is what's most important to me. We've got to focus on what we can do now to better ourselves, better each other. As the season goes on, we'll see and what-not. But we're just focused on trying to better ourselves as a team, preparing for the first game, and just looking at how we can identify ourselves this year."

Alabama opens the season on Sept. 1 against Louisville in Tampa.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24283868/jalen-hurts-frustrated-handling-alabama-crimson-tide-handling-qb-situation

I actually like Jalen Hurts.

I just threw up in my mouth a little....

• WarTiger changed the title to Hurts frustrated with QB situation
10 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I feel your pain 72! I really like him too and think he’s way under-appreciated by Bama fans..go figure

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

I mean, he graduates in December and can transfer anywhere he wants for his senior year. He could be a great one year transitional QB for us if needed next season.  If I was Gus, I'd certainly think long and hard about it.  Jalen would be excellent in our offense.

Jalen has a lot of qualities that of an Auburn Man... He just ended up at the wrong school. Would it be cool to see him in an Auburn Jersey? (Aside from bets with Charles Barkley) Absolutely. But right now at Bama he's 50/50 in the quarterback competition. Would he really want to go to Auburn to get into a 5-way competition? My money is on doubtful...

52 minutes ago, DAG said:

Said it before and I will say it again . Auburn lock .

I like him at bama…....and disagree about him fitting our offense.    Unless he has done something off-season to improve his passing skills he would be a "wildcat" back and that's it.    Agree that he seems like a good guy but I am more than happy with our QB situation and don't see a role for him at AU. 

If Hurts does not play in more than 4 games this year, that would count as a redshirt year and he would have 2 years of eligibility left. 

I'd bring him in if for nothing else than to give us some serious intel regarding their program.

But if I'm putting my money on the line I say he ends up at FAU or wherever Kiffin ends up after this season.

3 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I mean, he graduates in December and can transfer anywhere he wants for his senior year. He could be a great one year transitional QB for us if needed next season.  If I was Gus, I'd certainly think long and hard about it.  Jalen would be excellent in our offense.

I hope not...as much as we run, we have to at least have a QB who can push it downfield with some accuracy. Thats what made us so dangerous with NM.. Hurts aint pulling the trigger. and when he does, it's usually underthrown or overthrown

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Jalen has a lot of qualities that of an Auburn Man... He just ended up at the wrong school. Would it be cool to see him in an Auburn Jersey? (Aside from bets with Charles Barkley) Absolutely. But right now at Bama he's 50/50 in the quarterback competition. Would he really want to go to Auburn to get into a 5-way competition? My money is on doubtful...

If he came to Auburn he would for sure get the start unless Cord Sandberg is truly TimTebow lite. Also, I think he would go to whatever school that gives him the chance to show case his talent and play on the big stage. Say what you want about Gus but two of his transfers have done that in NM and I am betting JS will when it is all said and done.

3 hours ago, Mike4AU said:

To state the obvious, Hurts is not happy and is acting like a diva. 

He's never been anything but a really solid coach's son and I don't think he's changed.  If he leaves out "With the success that I've had here in my first two years, I've built a brand for myself...." I wouldn't have any problem with what he's saying.  I don't particularly go along with the idea of him wearing orange & blue, he's more suited to be a running back than a QB.

If it's a distraction in West Vance, it doesn't break my heart.

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

I wouldn't mind in the least. He manages a good game and he can kill you with a QB draw. He's definitely a unicorn being a Bama player that I like and respect. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

If he came to Auburn he would for sure get the start unless Cord Sandberg is truly TimTebow lite. Also, I think he would go to whatever school that gives him the chance to show case his talent and play on the big stage. Say what you want about Gus but two of his transfers have done that in NM and I am betting JS will when it is all said and done.

Think how much fun it would be for him to come to Auburn, get the starting nod and then beat Tua in the Iron Bowl. 

13 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Think how much fun it would be for him to come to Auburn, get the starting nod and then beat Tua in the Iron Bowl. 

I would love it!!!

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I would laugh to no end.

What would be hilarious is Tua throwing 3 int in first game and have Saban call for Hurts who in return says......."Nope"

I'm stunned at all the praise for Hurts in this situation on this board.

I find it ironic that Hurts is in this situation. Because it's the reason he got to be the starter in the first place. Blake Barnett struggled against USC in the 1st game of 2016 and then Hurts played the rest of the game and won the QB job. I'd like to ask Jalen, did anyone go to Blake Barnett and asked how he felt? Did anyone go to Tua this past season and see how he felt? Tua was probably going to transfer had he not played in the NC game against UGA. 

It's not Nick Saban's fault or the media's fault for the narrative. Jalen Hurt's performance in big games have created the narrative. And Hurt's father threw fuel on the fire by publicly stating that if Jalen doesn't win the starting job then he'll transfer.

"Coach Saban's job is to do what's best for his team. I have no problem with that," Averion Hurts said. "My job is to do what's best for Jalenand make no mistake, Jalen is a quarterback, and he wants to play quarterback. He loves Alabama, loves Coach Saban and everything about that place. But he wants to play, and he will play…"

Averion stops mid-sentence because the idea of his son not playing for Alabama isn't one he takes lightly. What if Jalen doesn't win the job, he is asked?

He shakes his head slowly, answers begrudgingly. "Well, he'd be the biggest free agent in college football history."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2771023-will-alabamas-jalen-hurts-soon-become-the-biggest-free-agent-in-cfb-history

Imo, Jalen's comments in the OP tell me that he doesn't think he'll win the QB job and that Tua has beaten him out for it, so instead of admitting he's getting beat for the QB job, he's trying to make it seem like he's been screwed by Saban and the Alabama staff....... "No one asked me how I felt?"

13 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I'm stunned at all the praise for Hurts in this situation on this board.

I'm shocked as well '91, I don't understand it at all.

Hurts is in place at uat for this season, leaving them with a rock solid backup in either Jalen or Tua if they need it....... as they systematically romp through that marshmallow schedule on their way to another CFP. :puke:

He's a 19 yr old kid and as a starter with a 26-2 record on one of the consistently best teams in college football.  His comments in the article show some immaturity IMO.  You got an issue with the way your coaches communicate?  Take it with your coach - not the media.  

Archived