Trey Wingenter called up to Padres

WarTiger

I don't watch MLB and haven't for about 15 years, but I do love to see former Auburn players reach their ultimate goal  

https://auburntigers.com/news/2018/8/5/baseball-from-auburn-to-the-show-trey-wingenter-gets-called-up-to-padres.aspx

From Auburn to The Show: Trey Wingenter Gets Called Up to Padres

Bookmark and Share

AUBURN, Ala. – Former Auburn pitcher Trey Wingenter has been promoted from the Triple-A El Paso Chihuahuas to the San Diego Padres, becoming the 51st Auburn player to make it to the major leagues.

Wingenter, who was a non-roster invitee to big league spring training in February, opened the 2018 season in El Paso and has appeared in 40 games for the Chihuahuas this season. He is 3-3 with a 3.45 ERA and has turned in four saves. Wingenter has struck out 53 batters in 44.1 innings of work and is holding opponents to a .186 batting average against.  

The 6-foot-7 right-hander was named a Padres Organization All-Star and Texas League All-Star a year ago after posting a 2-1 record with a 2.45 ERA in 49 appearances for the Double-A San Antonio Missions. He led the Padres farm system with 20 saves during the 2017 season.

Wingenter has made 140 career minor league appearances since being drafted by the Padres in the 17th round of the 2015 MLB Draft and is 9-7 with a 2.98 ERA. He has recorded 33 saves and has struck out 198 batters in 169.0 innings pitched.

The Hunstville, Alabama, native played at Auburn from 2013-15 and appeared in 40 career games with the Tigers while registering 74 strikeouts in 95.1 career innings pitched. Wingenter ranked fourth on the team with 21 appearances as a junior and fifth with 46 strikeouts. He helping lead the Tigers to the team's first NCAA Tournament in five years in his final season on The Plains.

The Padres finish a three-game series at the Cubs Sunday at 1:20 p.m. CT before traveling to Milwaukee to take on the Brewers Tuesday through Thursday.

This call up was a testament to the Padres Scout who saw the potential in Trey and the hard work Trey has put in since leaving the Plains. Ir was exciting to see him don his first MLB Uniform at Wrigley Field. 

996F1051-D378-4D88-87EA-BA0431D4CC0C.jpeg

9D173C4F-513B-459E-A9C8-15287DA3339D.jpeg

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, WarTiger said:

The Hunstville, Alabama, native played at Auburn from 2013-15 and appeared in 40 career games with the Tigers while registering 74 strikeouts in 95.1 career innings pitched. Wingenter ranked fourth on the team with 21 appearances as a junior and fifth with 46 strikeouts. He helping lead the Tigers to the team's first NCAA Tournament in five years in his final season on The Plains

You could see he had the potential while at AU and was on a pretty good staff.   He was hittable but I recall which was his biggest problem.   but he made a quick rise through the minor league system.   Nice to see another former AU players in the Bigs.  Nothing is ever sure however.....without naming names, some of the best looking players we had in the past ten years, guys who seemed to have the tools....are now out of baseball having never gotten to AA....some injuries, but some seemed to max out while in college.

Congrats to Trey....hope he us up there for a long time. 

8 hours ago, HitandRun5 said:

This call up was a testament to the Padres Scout who saw the potential in Trey and the hard work Trey has put in since leaving the Plains. Ir was exciting to see him don his first MLB Uniform at Wrigley Field. 

Are you family or have more than a casual relationship with Trey?  I'm curious what he has done to progress so well since he left Auburn?  He did a great job for Auburn, but 1.2 strikeouts per inning and 0.186 BA over 44 innings jumps out at ya.  Did he add/change a pitch?  or simply mature in his approach?  I dont recall him having upper 90's velocity at Auburn.  That jumps out also.  Just curious.  I have always enjoyed Auburn baseball, even though I've only got a casual knowledge of the game.

15 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Are you family or have more than a casual relationship with Trey?  I'm curious what he has done to progress so well since he left Auburn?  He did a great job for Auburn, but 1.2 strikeouts per inning and 0.186 BA over 44 innings jumps out at ya.  Did he add/change a pitch?  or simply mature in his approach?  I dont recall him having upper 90's velocity at Auburn.  That jumps out also.  Just curious.  I have always enjoyed Auburn baseball, even though I've only got a casual knowledge of the game.

Really was all only adjustments to his release point/arm slot and getting his arm stronger.  He only really touched low 90’s at Auburn and his FB was pretty flat. As I said, he put a lot of work on strengthening his arm after getting drafted  worked out a lot with a weighted ball, bands, etc.  His off speed pitch has gotten a lot better and obviously his FB has really taken off  and has some movement to it now. I think he got real lucky by being drafted by San Diego, in that he has been given the chance to progress and they haven’t been to successful at the MLB level, so he’s getting a chance  a lot of really talented players out there who simply get stuck.

About as good a debut as he could have hoped for. Got the NL batting leader (Yelich) on a strikeout. Didn’t get locked up and remembered his PFP’s to cover first on the final out.  Well done big guy  

Archived