Movies

AUBwins

Caught a movie I'd never seen before last night. I'm a fan of horror/paranormal movies and the one I saw last night was actually pretty good. I missed the first half of the movie and caught the second half but what I saw was very good. I had no expectation of liking it.

'Oculus' is the name of the movie. The movie came out back in 2014. For some reason I don't remember this movie being out back then. I guess movies like The Conjuring and Annabelle got all the attention and Oculus was kind of under the radar and got less attention even though it ended up doing well at the box office. 

Anywho, not to spoil it too much but the way the movie ended left the door wide open for a sequel. Yet as of now there hasn't been any word on a sequel in the works. Which is a shame because the plot and atmosphere of the movie worked pretty well. If you haven't seen the movie then I'd highly recommend it. 

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Caught a movie I'd never seen before last night. I'm a fan of horror/paranormal movies and the one I saw last night was actually pretty good. I missed the first half of the movie and caught the second half but what I saw was very good. I had no expectation of liking it.

'Oculus' is the name of the movie. The movie came out back in 2014. For some reason I don't remember this movie being out back then. I guess movies like The Conjuring and Annabelle got all the attention and Oculus was kind of under the radar and got less attention even though it ended up doing well at the box office. 

Anywho, not to spoil it too much but the way the movie ended left the door wide open for a sequel. Yet as of now there hasn't been any word on a sequel in the works. Which is a shame because the plot and atmosphere of the movie worked pretty well. If you haven't seen the movie then I'd highly recommend it. 

Movie made 44 million on a budget of 5 million not a bad profit margin would think their would be a sequel???

Also I didn't know it until looking it up but Oculus was filmed in Alabama.

http://alabamaliving.coop/article/lights-camera-alabama/

Fairhope and Mobile were also the locations for the horror/mystery film “Oculus,” released in 2014.

• Like 1

I liked Bird Box! But i just recently, for the first time watched The Big Lebowski. This was the funniest, most enjoyable yet stupid movie I've seen in a while.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, alexava said:

I liked Bird Box! But i just recently, for the first time watched The Big Lebowski. This was the funniest, most enjoyable yet stupid movie I've seen in a while.

WO WO!!!! How you going to make the Dude wait that long?! WHO DID THIS?!?! WHO DO I HAVE TO BLAME for you having to wait all these years to See THE DUDE!!!!???? lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, alexava said:

First time I watched Lebowski I had no idea what was going on. 

It gets better with every viewing. You pick up on a lot of subtleties in acting and dialogue. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It gets better with every viewing. You pick up on a lot of subtleties in acting and dialogue. 

I didn’t either. 

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I didn’t either. 

Same and agreed. The Coens are among the most talented filmmakers ever. There's always a LOT more going on than just the narrative. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 9:34 PM, GwillMac6 said:

WO WO!!!! How you going to make the Dude wait that long?! WHO DID THIS?!?! WHO DO I HAVE TO BLAME for you having to wait all these years to See THE DUDE!!!!???? lol

I have probably missed so many jokes over the past 20 years with a “ Dude “ reference. I deprived myself of being able to keep up. I’ll have to watch it again. Stuck watching Cool Hand Luke right now. Never seen it either. So far not really impressed. 

• Angry 1

I have probably missed so many jokes over the past 20 years with a “ Dude “ reference. I deprived myself of being able to keep up. I’ll have to watch it again. Stuck watching Cool Hand Luke right now. Never seen it either. So far not really impressed. 

I *LOVE* Cool Hand Luke. Companion movie to The Great Escape IMO. 

5 hours ago, alexava said:

Wow hard to believe maybe you need to eat some eggs:poke:

12 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Wow hard to believe maybe you need to eat some eggs:poke:

That’s bout as far as I’ve seen so far. I almost got sick watching it. 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Velvet Buzzsaw on Netflix wasn’t too bad. 

humm may have to give it a shot at the moment I'm watching "The Fall" on Netflix.......

On 2/10/2019 at 8:06 PM, augolf1716 said:

humm may have to give it a shot at the moment I'm watching "The Fall" on Netflix.......

How is it?

2 hours ago, alexava said:

How is it?

Took about 3 episodes for me to get into it but it has gotten better and better imo. Its not great but it has got my wife hook and normally she does not like these type of shows. If your into serial killers,  psychological thrillers and mind games you should like it

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/13/2019 at 1:16 PM, augolf1716 said:

Took about 3 episodes for me to get into it but it has gotten better and better imo. Its not great but it has got my wife hook and normally she does not like these type of shows. If your into serial killers,  psychological thrillers and mind games you should like it

9 Pages, golf's avatar, even an Oddball t-shirt link, and no mention of Kelly's Heroes? Eastwood, Savalas, Sutherland, Rickles, and WWII? What else do you need in a movie?

• Love 1

On 2/23/2019 at 8:18 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Watched Hereditary this afternoon. Was impressed with the atmosphere and how much it legitimately creeped me out. Good horror flick. 

On my list.

Weak Oscars field this year. Hoping for a better crop next year.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

On my list.

Directed by the same guy who did the Witch. So it’s very atmospheric and unsettling. 

It’s free on Amazon Prime streaming too. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

On my list.

Totally shut out (besides Gaga) what was easily the most emotionally satisfying movie of the last eight months in a Star is Born. SMH.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Totally shut out (besides Gaga) what was easily the most emotionally satisfying movie of the last eight months in a Star is Born. SMH.

That's the one my wife thought was going to sweep the awards. I can't argue. 

Nothing really blew me away this year though. We were looking back at some other years and going back at least 10 years we couldn't come up with a year that didn't have at least two movies that were better than anything we saw this year. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

That's the one my wife thought was going to sweep the awards. I can't argue. 

Nothing really blew me away this year though. We were looking back at some other years and going back at least 10 years we couldn't come up with a year that didn't have at least two movies that were better than anything we saw this year. 

The last time a Best Picture movie was my favorite movie of the year was No Country for Old Men. What about you loofy? THE WORST year for me personally when it came to a movie winning best picture was A Kings Speech. Like ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? Everyone says Crash as the go to for undeserving best picture winners but for me it is easily A Kings Speech. ughhhhhhhhhhh. 

A Star is Born just flat out underperformed all awards season. But to be fair, none of the previous versions were big winners at their respective Oscars either. Maybe they just never truly loved it.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The last time a Best Picture movie was my favorite movie of the year was No Country for Old Men. What about you loofy? THE WORST year for me personally when it came to a movie winning best picture was A Kings Speech. Like ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? Everyone says Crash as the go to for undeserving best picture winners but for me it is easily A Kings Speech. ughhhhhhhhhhh. 

A Star is Born just flat out underperformed all awards season. But to be fair, none of the previous versions were big winners at their respective Oscars either. Maybe they just never truly loved it.

Movies that A King's Speech beat: Social Network, True Grit, Winter's Bone, Inception, Black Swan, The Fighter...

I hate to copy you but ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?!?

No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood in the same year... not even fair. I actually liked several of the winners since then, though. Hurt Locker, Argo, Birdman, Shape of Water... 

I liked Moonlight, but it wasn't my pick for best picture that year. But yeah, 2017, another example: Moonlight, Arrival, Manchester by the Sea... all better than anything I saw this year. 

Didn't realize you were this kind of film buff, brother! McWifey and I always try to watch the Oscar contenders every year. We used to actually go see them all in the theater before we had kids. I still LOVE going to the movie theater. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1