Movies

AUBwins

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I never watched the trailer. 

It definitely takes its time getting going. And I doubt it translates as well to the small screen as a lot of movies. I made sure to see that one in the theatre. I always try to see del Toro's movies in the theatre. 

I didn’t watch the full trailer (I never do because they always give away too much), but it led me to believe it was going to be a paranormal type mystery especially coming from GDT. I’ll watch it again sometime under different pretenses. 

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

12DD98FD-9866-45AD-9FD1-DC1D41B7D5A9.jpeg

Very underrated movie IMO

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally watched Terminator Genysis. 2015 film.  I am doing the trial on Paramount+ and realized I never watched it.  Great film.  I think Emilia Clarke (GOT) was a perfect casting choice for young Sarah Conner.  Oh man she looked just like her lol.  And she's freaking beautiful, especially within her acting.  Anyways didn't know she was in it.  Good film.  Now I need to watch the recent one Dark Fate. 

I know in April it will be streaming on HBO MAX but my grandson and I went to see The Batman.  It's a good movie.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/16/2022 at 8:06 AM, McLoofus said:

Saw the new Scream. More interesting meta commentaryabout fan culture, Hollywood, franchise films, IP, etc. But I didn't love the movie. 

Neve Campbell looks fantastic.

Finally saw this just now while doing a paramount trial to watch the USMNT qualify lol.  Not my style of movie usually but watched primarily out of childhood nostalgia.  The first Scream was my first slasher film. One of those I'm not going to chicken out in front of my friend type of thing lol.  I may have watched a little or all of the 2nd one but really only remember the first (you always do 😀). So I'm glad I watched it as this one kind of takes you back.  And Yes, Neve Campbell still a crush.  I guess now that she has kids, she's a ..... nevermind.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, abw0004 said:

The hype for this one began in the pre-Covid days...been waiting on this one for 3 years or so.

Not going to watch the trailer, but this is the first movie in a LONG time that I've wanted to make the effort to go see in the theater.

36 years after the first one...that's a hell of an interim between installments.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SLAG-91 said:

The hype for this one began in the pre-Covid days...been waiting on this one for 3 years or so.

Not going to watch the trailer, but this is the first movie in a LONG time that I've wanted to make the effort to go see in the theater.

36 years after the first one...that's a hell of an interim between installments.

I would watch the trailer.  A lot of call backs to the original.   I think you would enjoy it

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

The first Scream was my first slasher film.

It never occurred to me what this might be like, given how much the movie focuses on classic slasher tropes. Were you wondering what the hell they were talking about? And yes, Neve Campbell is very much a nevermind to me, also.

Got sidetracked and still haven't caught up on the Oscar noms. Still need to see CODA, Drive My Car, and Dune from the Best Picture group, and then Macbeth, Flee, The Lost Daughter, Spencer, and The Eyes of Tammy Faye. Also need to finish Being the Ricardos and Summer of Soul. I might not get around to some of the films in that middle group as they were only nominated for individual performances.

Licorice Pizza was awesome to me, but I'm a big PTA fan. 

The Hand of God was awesome to me, too, but it's subtitled and it definitely helps to have some knowledge of Maradona's time in Naples. If you like sports docs in general, then for sure seek out the Maradona doc on HBO.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Were you wondering what the hell they were talking about?

I’m pretty good at just going with the flow of a movie without thinking too much about it.  I have always loved a good story. Just tell a story.  I imagine I was moreso watching out for jump scares without looking paranoid lol. Like I said, first movie I watched like that IIRC. lol

• Like 1

Very randomly watched Apollo 10 1/2 on Netflix last night. LOVED IT. They had me at Richard Linklater. (Known for a ton of critically acclaimed work, but my main connection is Dazed and Confused.) Definitely some Wonder Years to it, but it didn't feel at all derivative. Anyway. Highly recommend. 

I thought Being the Ricardos was good (probably better for those that followed I Love Lucy), interesting to see Production Lucille in the readings and thought process of the show.  Learned a few things and kudos to Nicole Kidman.  And all the cast for that matter, but Nicole nailed it IMO. She looks close to Lucy but her voice was spot on the majority of the time.  I could close my eyes and hear Lucille Ball.

Edit: If you can get through the heavy language at the beginning.  My mom is a huge Lucy fan, which is how I grew up watching it, and she won't be watching because it's too much for her to enjoy it.  Rated R actually. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I thought Being the Ricardos was good (probably better for those that followed I Love Lucy), interesting to see Production Lucille in the readings and thought process of the show.  Learned a few things and kudos to Nicole Kidman.  And all the cast for that matter, but Nicole nailed it IMO. She looks close to Lucy but her voice was spot on the majority of the time.  I could close my eyes and hear Lucille Ball.

Edit: If you can get through the heavy language at the beginning.  My mom is a huge Lucy fan, which is how I grew up watching it, and she won't be watching because it's too much for her to enjoy it.  Rated R actually. 

Started it and enjoyed what I watched in the beginning. Need to get back to it. Agreed about Kidman. And, man, Lucy with that beautiful mind stuff when it came to writing a scene. True creatives fascinate me. 

• Love 1

On 4/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, AUBwins said:

My Mom was the biggest Lucy fan ever as well

Putting this here since it is based on a movie.  The most incredible dark ride out there IMO. Don't do yourself a disservice by reading comments ahead of watching it.  Wish this was in the states.  Love it.  

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the new Batman. Had its flaws, sure, but it was well executed. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, AUDub said:

I really enjoyed the new Batman. Had its flaws, sure, but it was well executed. 

Have only heard good things. Just waiting for a 3 hr window of solo time to watch it. 

Sonic 2- Michael Bay, but self-aware

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Sonic 2- Michael Bay, but self-aware

My wife and I took Cece to see it in theaters. She'd never really been to the movies because of Covid. 

1 hour ago, AUDub said:

My wife and I took Cece to see it in theaters. She'd never really been to the movies because of Covid. 

We have a theater close to the house that is almost empty on weeknights and weekend matinees so we've got to a few starting this past fall. Saw Bad Guys Saturday and Sonic yesterday. 

I *hated* not going to the movies for such a long time. Especially since I have this place that gets just about every major release, is affordable, is usually empty, and has recliners. Heaven for an introvert. I've literally worn my house slippers and sweatpants there for weeknight late shows more than once. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I've literally worn my house slippers and sweatpants there for weeknight late shows more than once. 

That's a sight I don't want to see but thanks for sharing.

12 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

That's a sight I don't want to see but thanks for sharing.

The wife didn't care for it, either. But at least she knew that I 100% was not going to be messing around on her leaving the house like that. 

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The wife didn't care for it, either. But at least she knew that I 100% was not going to be messing around on her leaving the house like that. 

yep I'm sure she felt 100% confident in that....did she even sit next to you??:poke:

Just now, augolf1716 said:

yep I'm sure she felt 100% confident in that....did she even sit next to you??:poke:

Nope, I was solo. 

But on second thought, she di put the 7 yr old between us yesterday....

• Like 1