naming OL starters after 1st scrimmage

aubiefifty

It seems that through the spring and with summer workouts Grimes has had a positive influence. Apparently Tega is improving on his deficiencies from last year. Harrell is stepping up as the OL leader. Horton was a starter last year until he got hurt and Harrell took over and never looked back. So we know Horton has the goods.

Horton switching to center I believe is more of a byproduct having your best 5 OL on the field. If you look at it from that standpoint CA is better than KK, but CA does not play C. Since LT and LG are solid Horton becomes the movable pawn for C. This scenario puts CA with a solid C to his L and an experienced RT in Driscoll on other side.

Now having Tega, Harrell and Horton is a real solid side of the line. What would become concerning is if Trox beats out Driscoll. That would creat 2 RSFR on the RT side of the line. Under that scenario it could be possible Grimes goes back with Kim at C, Horton at RG and CA or AT at RT.

13 hours ago, Timeslider 6 said:

It seems like somebody whiffed on evaluating O linemen at some point. Has any of those 5 O linemen we signed that one year started or even contributed very much at all? I mean where did we go wrong?

IMO, we recruited some guys who carried their stars around with them when we should have been recruiting guys who bring their lunch boxes every day.  (not referring directly to this class, Harrell and Horton are certainly lunch box guys from all that I have heard)

By carry the stars around I mean this in 2 ways, either the staff recruited guys that looked the part and guys who are workout warriors and great athletes but they don't know how to be a football player.  Look at the highest rated guy to go through here and how he got drafted high on his abilities but he just hasn't become a football player at the next level

9 hours ago, boomstick said:

IMO it’s already been decided. I think this is the starting 5 OL  

Tega/Harrell/Horton/Ashley/Driscoll

I think you are right in the sense that right now this is the lineup that the coaches are hoping for, in order to get the best 5 on the field.  Horton has to prove he can handle center though, and I also think Troxell will get a legit shot to beat out Driscoll.  Ultimately you need a starting 5, but you also need guys you can be confident about rotating in.  Feeling pretty good about the line, actually.  There's some talent there.

Refreshing to hear they want to name the 5 OL starters early. Getting in the work to become a cohesive unit is very important for the OL so the sooner the better. Waiting too long to designate the OL starters imo is one of the big factors that have contributed to the slow starts we have seen of late.  

I am putting my money on Grimes. I have not been sold on our player development in the past at OL. We may again get off to a rough start at OL, but I will be surprised if we don't show significant improvement during the season. I suspect we will be night and day improvement from Washington to the middle of the season. Will be good to develop some depth at OL during the season. I feel good about going forward with Grimes.

@Timeslider 6, the 2015 class included Harrell and Horton. Those guys have contributed early and enter their Junior years as leaders so the class had very good players. Carr never panned out as we expected. Story is still being written for Kim and Sharp. From what I understand, Sharp is considered a reliable backup at LT. 

My personal opinion is that Trox wins the RT spot.  I know many will think this is ridiculous but that kid has unbelievable drive.  He is out there to prove something and is determined to show everyone up.  I think JB will bring that nastiness back that we have been missing for the last couple of years.  I am very disappointed that KK has not progressed the way I expected.  I had very high hopes for him.  I do believe that for the most part we have a LOT of talent.  It is just going to be tough for JB to find the best 5 and the best 5 that work together the best.  

I'm starting to invision a running game like 2013... that Oline wasn't proven coming into the season and they got better and better... Wasnt Tre Mason very similar size to K Mart? 

This team has a 2013 feel to them... 

17 hours ago, auburnphan said:

IMO, we recruited some guys who carried their stars around with them when we should have been recruiting guys who bring their lunch boxes every day.  (not referring directly to this class, Harrell and Horton are certainly lunch box guys from all that I have heard)

By carry the stars around I mean this in 2 ways, either the staff recruited guys that looked the part and guys who are workout warriors and great athletes but they don't know how to be a football player.  Look at the highest rated guy to go through here and how he got drafted high on his abilities but he just hasn't become a football player at the next level

^^ All points to development - getting the stars on campus is one part of the job - making them into SEC level players is another part of the job.  Highly ranked stars that are workout warriors and great athletes still have to be taught, trained, and developed into SEC level players.  Some coaches have a history of having strong player development programs in place - other programs are deficient in this area.

IMO, J. Grimes is a coach this program needed back badly - he'll get it done!  WDE

On 8/6/2018 at 3:34 PM, EclecticTiger said:

I think you may be correct. 

look at the size of this OL.....  tega 6-7, 300 plus lbs., Ashley 6-6, 300 plus, Driscoll 6-5, 300 plus lbs. Horton 6-4, 300 plus lbs, and Harrell, 6-3, 300 plus lbs.  This is a formidable OL size wise and should be able to move around a lot of the SEC D-lines. I think it is wise for JB to get the blue print of his OL as early as possible so that they can gel and be ready to  move some huskies off of the line of scrimmage so  our backs can eat up some huge yardage. 

On 8/6/2018 at 7:59 PM, mcgufcm said:

I’ve heard mixed reviews of Ashley, particularly in pass protection. From what I can tell he never quite grasped the old saying “pass blocking isn’t passive,” but I’ve also heard he’s a beast in run blocking. If that’s true, playing inside should mitigate his deficient area and emphasize his strength. Fingers crossed. Horton’s grasp of the Center position seems like the key. If he’s not your best Center, we’re probably better off with Horton at RG and Ashley on the bench, even if he’s one of our five best. 

I fully think that Ashley will turn out to be a fine guard and a real mauler in run blocking. Playing the guard position will allow him to grow as a pass blocker compared to tackle where the buck pretty much stops with you. Give Ashley a little time, and I feel that he will become an all SEC caliber type of guard. This line has the potential to turn into a very formidable one by mid season or sooner.

Well the good news is that if CA does not get the RG spot or AT does not get the RT spot or even if Driscoll does not get the RT spot, the 6Th lineman TE this year is gonna be a good one.

I think once the center position is settled the right side falls into place quickly and then it is just a matter of getting them reps against the defense and hopefully avoiding injuries.  They need two good solid weeks together before the first game.  It needs to be settled by the end of next week.  

Archived