All Things Shaun "Worm" Shivers (merged threads)

Momma Worm

He is one tough little dude, and he inspires others to play harder!

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know "Worm" is a personal nickname and means so much to Shaun and his family but watching him run, a different nickname comes to my mind....and I can't shake it:

3292823_orig.png

2 hours ago, doverstutts said:

i thought it was mistake to sign this kid due to his size.......i still have doubts that he can be a feature back and carry the load, but there is zero doubt that he can play in the SEC.....if he was 5'11" 210 lbs, he would be the top back in the SEC.....ability-wise, he looks to be our best back and he damn sure is where ball security is concerned

He doesn't need to be the feature back. Bring that kid in when the D is sucking wind and just sit back and admire him...?

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

IDK how it'll go if he gets hit by LSU LBs or UA/UGA LBs but he does have a little bit of bouncing off of tackles going on 

You ever tried to hem up a world-class speed bowling ball? That's the image I have when thinking of those "big bad LB's" trying to get a clean hit on Worm..

9 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You ever tried to hem up a world-class speed bowling ball? That's the image I have when thinking of those "big bad LB's" trying to get a clean hit on Worm..

I agree. His stature is what will continue to make him hard to bring down. I think he will win a lot more one on one battles than he will lose and that's all you can want a player to do. All of the players have talent. He's a special talent. Going to be fun watching him. 

• WarTiger changed the title to All Things Shaun "Worm" Shivers (merged threads)

I think worm might be our best back, the only question I have is he a good pass blocker? Im asking because I do not know. He may be excellent, but does his size limit what he can do to protect against LSU DL?

Man, this guy is fun to watch.  A faster version of Joe Morris.  I don't want to get too far out over my skis, but the combination of power, quickness, and speed brings to mind Barry Sanders.  He may flat out be our best back.  Starting to get the feeling that he is going to be something special....

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

He doesn't need to be the feature back. Bring that kid in when the D is sucking wind and just sit back and admire him...?

I think you may be on to something. Boobee wears them down, then Worm changes it up. With 10-15 carries a game, he should have zero problems with durability going 14-15 games this year. I just hope Gus doesn’t take until past mid season (or worse ?) to realize this potential and the fits it will give other teams. If CGM sees it, and allows it, we could be real nasty. 

And with that Defense...oof

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

He doesn't need to bulk up.

You are so right. Look at him he is already bulked up when you look at his weight to height he is not small.  With his low center of gravity he is a load.  That said I still want to see him do it against elite SEC defenses. I think he can I hope Gus and Chip give him the chance to prove it.

3 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I don’t think we need a feature back this season honestly. They all have different strengths that will be beneficial to us in different areas 

I agree.  But Gus likes a feature back who will get at least 1000 yards.  He has had a 1000 yard rusher every year he has been a HC.  He will make sure at least one RB gets enough carries to get 1000 yards.  I see two or three possibly getting there or close if the OLine comes around. 

3 hours ago, around4ever said:

I agree.  But Gus likes a feature back who will get at least 1000 yards.  He has had a 1000 yard rusher every year he has been a HC.  He will make sure at least one RB gets enough carries to get 1000 yards.  I see two or three possibly getting there or close if the OLine comes around. 

True. 

But one of the necessary things for Gus to develop as a coach, is to break some of his trends, IMO.

4 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I don’t think we need a feature back this season honestly. They all have different strengths that will be beneficial to us in different areas 

Yeah it'd be best not to make someone carry the ball 30+ times anyway.

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

He doesn't need to bulk up.

5'-7"  172 lbs   at the age of 17-18   he will get bigger and stronger at auburn.    Thats what i meant.  

One of my is favorite old sayings is “it ain’t the size of the dog in the fight it’s the size of the fight in the dog.” 

Worm is obviously one of those rare kids who is tough as nails and isn’t afraid of anything.  It’s hard to get a clean shot on him because he’s so quick and so low to the ground.  He’s gonna be fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

He reminds me a little of Tre Mason. Tre ran low to the ground and just knocked people over. Tre is 5'10",  Shaun is 5'7". Does just 3 inches make that much difference? Maybe and maybe not.

It makes a huge difference to LBs when they can't see the top of his helmet until he bursting through a hole.   That is how Darren Sproles has made a huge living for himself.  

It is tougher on the LBs when they have to contend with 3 types of backs and they all have fresh legs throughout a game.  And sprinkle in some explosive speed with Schwartz and Stove, our running game will be much better with a RB by committee approach.  No need in forcing a player to try to be a 'feature back' without the durability.  That philosophy cost us championship last year.   

10 hours ago, around4ever said:

I love that Gus is letting all these Freshmen play even after a mistake.  

We have a very different Gus this year. He has a very aggressive mindset and isn’t afraid to tell you about it. He’s finally really mixing it up on play calling too. All that is in addition to your point. He even sounds like a really smart coach this year vs some of the brain fart coach speak we have gotten in the past (nobody take that the wrong way). I love this year’s Gus and hope he has the old Gus tied to a water heater in his basement, never to emerge..........

mama worm i love your son! he has huge things ahead of him..........heck maybe we need to suit you up ya know? i bet you got some moves. do you have any eligibility  left? i am betting you would make the team better..........lol

Archived