2021 5* UNC Transfer C Walker Kessler (4/12/21: Commits To AU!)

AuburnArch13

• 2 weeks later...

This seemed out of nowhere. Apparently he was blown away by the NC visit and has always liked them. Dang that hurts. Man I want a high star b-ball commit so bad we’re so close with some of these guys I can taste it

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 5* C Walker Kessler (UNC commit 9/22/19)

Damn that's a bummer but the more we are in on these kids the more they will commit to us. We are babies in this world of recruiting elite prospects. Bruce will have them here soon enough

• Like 2

man........this glass ceiling is proving hard to break through. Gotta keep pounding on it though! I was starting to believe we could get this guy  but glad i didn;t let myself fall in love here 😂 

• Haha 1

Bummed out about this. Everyone was feeling so good about Kessler to AU. Need another 6'10" man of a player to commit. 

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Bummed out about this. Everyone was feeling so good about Kessler to AU. Need another 6'10" man of a player to commit. 

From what many of us have read, Kessler likes how UNC and Roy Williams use big men, and his offense relies heavily on 2 man post. Pearl, at least from recent history relies a ton on his guards and wings to take the shots.

Once he liked the campus too, that seemed to finalize it.

But I agree, we are in the hunt, and not just as a token team. We will land these guys over time.

We're still the baby in this blue blood fraternity.

Is he still going to visit this weekend? I saw comments on twitter saying his decision just kinda came to him on his visit and he just rolled with it. I know bball recruits rarely flip but any chance we give him something to think about this weekend?

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

From what many of us have read, Kessler likes how UNC and Roy Williams use big men, and his offense relies heavily on 2 man post. Pearl, at least from recent history relies a ton on his guards and wings to take the shots.

Once he liked the campus too, that seemed to finalize it.

But I agree, we are in the hunt, and not just as a token team. We will land these guys over time.

We're still the baby in this blue blood fraternity.

The thing about Kessler is he is not a prototypical Roy Williams big man. He is a knock down 3 point shooter who stretches the floor. Roy's big men attack the offensive glass relentlessly and play volleyball with the rim and are elite athletically. So for me this is a big loss for us because he looks exactly what Bruce would love to have in a elite center prospect. I wanted him bad for that reason. A big man who can hit the three in Bruce's offense is what takes it from really damn good to ELITE.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

If he chose a team that wasn't really known to be in the mix I'm glad it's out of conference and also not UGA.

Edited by Tiger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tiger said:

If he chose a team that wasn't really known to be in the mix I'm glad it's out of conference and also not UGA.

ONE. WEEK. AWAY. Wasn't he going to official to us for the game this upcoming weekend?! and Jalen Green and COOOOOOP was going to be there? We survived the Duke OV but not UNC?! Heartbreaking.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

ONE. WEEK. AWAY. Wasn't he going to official to us for the game this upcoming weekend?! and Jalen Green and COOOOOOP was going to be there? We survived the Duke OV but not UNC?! Heartbreaking.

It sucks big time bro. I wonder if he's still gonna visit. This effing NCAA letter is pissing me off lol

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Tiger said:

It sucks big time bro. I wonder if he's still gonna visit. This effing NCAA letter is pissing me off lol

I doubt it just because this is basketball and not football. Most of the times dudes shut it down after they commit. Or at least more often than football. SMH. You and me both bro.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I doubt it just because this is basketball and not football. Most of the times dudes shut it down after they commit. Or at least more often than football. SMH. You and me both bro.

Pretty sure he won't be coming to visit. In the article they interviewed him, and he said he had a visit left to Auburn, but after he decided on UNC he called Coach Pearl and other coaches to announce his decision. 

• Angry 1

5 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The thing about Kessler is he is not a prototypical Roy Williams big man. He is a knock down 3 point shooter who stretches the floor. Roy's big men attack the offensive glass relentlessly and play volleyball with the rim and are elite athletically. So for me this is a big loss for us because he looks exactly what Bruce would love to have in a elite center prospect. I wanted him bad for that reason. A big man who can hit the three in Bruce's offense is what takes it from really damn good to ELITE.

Supposedly Roy lets his 4s like Maye shoot from range which apparently was a major selling point to WK.