2021 5* UNC Transfer C Walker Kessler (4/12/21: Commits To AU!)

AuburnArch13

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Just checked with a few insiders on the bunker and they still think we land Kessler. One said pearl has done a fantastic job staying all over him.

I could see Pearl telling him he is not going to lose out a 2nd time.  He won't let him commit elsewhere lol

• Like 1

I just don’t see what the heck he expects to happen between Timme, I assume Watson and Holmgren all being at Gonzaga 

this shouldn’t even be close, if he doesn’t want to ride the bench

• Like 1

I remember waaaayyyy back when i said there is no way you guys are going to get me excited about a 7 foot uga legacy coming to AU. Yet i was slowly convinced we had a real chance and the possibility of this guy coming to AU was the real thing. Hell people even said we were the favorite and he was definitely coming. Well we know how that one turned out. Well here we are again and i just gotta say.....be careful getting your hopes up on this one. He's gonna be one of those i have to see him in an AU uniform before i really believe he plays ball at AU. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I remember waaaayyyy back when i said there is no way you guys are going to get me excited about a 7 foot uga legacy coming to AU. Yet i was slowly convinced we had a real chance and the possibility of this guy coming to AU was the real thing. Hell people even said we were the favorite and he was definitely coming. Well we know how that one turned out. Well here we are again and i just gotta say.....be careful getting your hopes up on this one. He's gonna be one of those i have to see him in an AU uniform before i really believe he plays ball at AU. 

My feeling exactly. 

my gut tells me w Kessler we will always be 2nd on his list no matter how many times he might transfer. 😉

I hope I’m wrong. 

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

My feeling exactly. 

my gut tells me w Kessler we will always be 2nd on his list no matter how many times he might transfer. 😉

I hope I’m wrong. 

I really am not overly concerned about Kessler. It'd be great to get him, yes, but we have big men who can man those spots for us. If we get Scoot for next season, then this class is a win all around. If we get Scoot and Tyty Washington, I'll be ecstatic. The only way I'll be particularly concerned with Kessler is if JT stays in the draft, because having him, Jabari, and Jaylin down low is good enough for me.

Not that I don't want Kessler by any means, just that we need back court players more than big men right now.

• Like 1

Really want Kessler because there aren’t many guys out there with his size and skill set. Having said that, Scoot is the “must get” guy that we are in the mix for, IMO

1 hour ago, fredst said:

Really want Kessler because there aren’t many guys out there with his size and skill set. Having said that, Scoot is the “must get” guy that we are in the mix for, IMO

This feels correct, but I feel like another big option would really alleviate some strain for Jaylin. Chris Moore will be the “backup” power forward, but I’d think Jaylin will actually be the guy Bruce slides there when Jabari sits. And he’ll also likely start at the 5. Walker/Gurley allows you to maximize that guy’s effectiveness...and put him back at his natural position

i still do think you’re correct though. We need at least one guy with true PG tendencies, and he seems more ahead of Tyty

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

This feels correct, but I feel like another big option would really alleviate some strain for Jaylin. Chris Moore will be the “backup” power forward, but I’d think Jaylin will actually be the guy Bruce slides there when Jabari sits. And he’ll also likely start at the 5. Walker/Gurley allows you to maximize that guy’s effectiveness...and put him back at his natural position

i still do think you’re correct though. We need at least one guy with true PG tendencies, and he seems more ahead of Tyty

You seem to be presuming Thor isn't going to be back...

20 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Anybody seen or heard any follow up on this?

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I don’t have any sources or anything, but it’s kinda like a combination of things Ellitor said and Cole said. The guy has elite physical chops, plays a style that many teams desire these days, and probably needs any type of first round money. How does he get in the first round?? I don’t know! Super stacked draft, even the last handful of guys are either amazing in potential or  collegiate studs that might be capped out

SHOULD come back would be my suggestion, and second round money...I don’t even think that’s guaranteed money after the 45th spot. 

23 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think that a really skilled big like Kessler appears to be would be a huge addition. I do think a great point guard (which I think SH is) is a bigger need. Hoping like hell we get both....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t have any sources or anything, but it’s kinda like a combination of things Ellitor said and Cole said. The guy has elite physical chops, plays a style that many teams desire these days, and probably needs any type of first round money. How does he get in the first round?? I don’t know! Super stacked draft, even the last handful of guys are either amazing in potential or  collegiate studs that might be capped out

SHOULD come back would be my suggestion, and second round money...I don’t even think that’s guaranteed money after the 45th spot. 

Well, if we lose Thor, then the need for Kessler skyrockets, IMO. Maybe not quite as high as the need for Scoot, but pretty close. Cardwell is a legitimate 5, IMO, but he's just not on the same level as Kessler is. And my record on which players are going to come back has not been very good of late, so...yeah. I guess we'll see in a couple of months.

21 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

There isn't any guaranteed money in the second round.  It would be a risky move of Thor to go professional, and he shouldn't unless he is either very unhappy in college or in great need of cash.

1 minute ago, Aubie the Tiger said:

There isn't any guaranteed money in the second round.  It would be a risky move of Thor to go professional, and he shouldn't unless he is either very unhappy in college or in great need of cash.

An article from 2018 has shown that about 90% of guys drafted between the 31st and 45th picks at least get one year of a guaranteed contract. It’s at the teams discretion but in that range, it’s generally assured. 
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/05/10/in-the-money-second-round-picks-cash-in-guaranteed-contracts-at-exceedingly-high-rates/

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Well, if we lose Thor, then the need for Kessler skyrockets, IMO. Maybe not quite as high as the need for Scoot, but pretty close. Cardwell is a legitimate 5, IMO, but he's just not on the same level as Kessler is. And my record on which players are going to come back has not been very good of late, so...yeah. I guess we'll see in a couple of months.

Well that was my original premise to Fred, but I looked over things and from a roster perspective, we do have enough bodies in the front court to survive. I legit don’t think we would be good, or maybe even average, if we didn’t pull another point guard option. 

But initially, I was right there with you on this train of thought. Scoot (and Tyty hopefully) take you from barely surviving to being well off and Kessler takes you from solid to elite, as far as PFs and Cs go 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, Aubie the Tiger said:

Apparently his family is pushing him to go pro. I feel pretty confident saying that he would be better off in the long run staying in college for another year, but family is one reason that I can get behind to leave, if they are struggling financially. The only other reason he would have to stay in the draft, IMO, is if he has an incredible day at the combine and shoots up the draft rankings, which isn't impossible, given his size and skill set.

3 hours ago, fredst said:

Kessler would also be very good for us because we need the big guy that can occupy a couple of people and he'd be huge for us as far as spacing and such. Then a big guy who could anchor the defense. 

Pretty much all of the stuff Wiley did for us but many didn't account for it because it wasn't on a stat sheet, but this season showed just how important he was. 

You're right as well, his skill set seems to be perfect for everything we like to do. He'd be avery big deal for us if we were lucky enough to land him.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

An article from 2018 has shown that about 90% of guys drafted between the 31st and 45th picks at least get one year of a guaranteed contract. It’s at the teams discretion but in that range, it’s generally assured. 
https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/05/10/in-the-money-second-round-picks-cash-in-guaranteed-contracts-at-exceedingly-high-rates/

Thanks for the link.  I am a little surprised so many teams offer guaranteed money when they have no obligation.

However, at this point I'm still skeptical that Thor will be drafted in the early second round.  I just checked five mock drafts that have been updated in the last few days, and none of them have him listed at all.  He has potential, but he is just too unproven.  Per NBA rules, minimum contracts can only be up to two years in length (whether guaranteed or unguaranteed), and Thor is going to need at least that much time to develop into an NBA rotation player.  So why should you draft and develop a guy who will be a free agent before he becomes useful?

A realistic path for Thor would be to land in a similar situation that Jared Harper is in now.  Miss being drafted (or be a late pick) and get sent to the G-league on a two way contract.  Get paid about $150 per year.  After one or two years, hopefully get a full-time roster spot.  

I want what is best for the kid, even if it's not at Auburn.  If he really needs the money, then I understand him leaving and hope he lands on his feet.  But if it isn't desperate, he needs to stay, and I hope NBA scouts are frank with him about the reality of his situation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aubie the Tiger said:

Thanks for the link.  I am a little surprised so many teams offer guaranteed money when they have no obligation.

However, at this point I'm still skeptical that Thor will be drafted in the early second round.  I just checked five mock drafts that have been updated in the last few days, and none of them have him listed at all.  He has potential, but he is just too unproven.  Per NBA rules, minimum contracts can only be up to two years in length (whether guaranteed or unguaranteed), and Thor is going to need at least that much time to develop into an NBA rotation player.  So why should you draft and develop a guy who will be a free agent before he becomes useful?

A realistic path for Thor would be to land in a similar situation that Jared Harper is in now.  Miss being drafted (or be a late pick) and get sent to the G-league on a two way contract.  Get paid about $150 per year.  After one or two years, hopefully get a full-time roster spot.  

I want what is best for the kid, even if it's not at Auburn.  If he really needs the money, then I understand him leaving and hope he lands on his feet.  But if it isn't desperate, he needs to stay, and I hope NBA scouts are frank with him about the reality of his situation.

I'm hoping that he's going to come back unless he gets a phenomenal grade at the combine that vaults him into the first round. But we'll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

@Rednilla Posted in the Thor draft thread but Hooks is implying he's not FWIW.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

@Rednilla Posted in the Thor draft thread but Hooks is implying he's not FWIW.

Well that's too bad. I get the family pressure, but one more year would probably get him into the first round, whereas I'm pretty sure it's going to take a phenomenal day at the combine to get him there this go around.

54 minutes ago, Aubie the Tiger said:

I think he’s very capable of delivering a phenomenal combine performance, I also think the draft is just too stacked for it to matter a ton. If he wants to go, I’m fine, but this isn’t the draft to expect a team to take a flyer (unless they have a glut of picks) until the back half of the back round. Don’t know his financial situation at all though. I wish Auburn was more like a Duke or Kentucky and I think his family would be taken care of with the financial worries...

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Kessler would also be very good for us because we need the big guy that can occupy a couple of people and he'd be huge for us as far as spacing and such. Then a big guy who could anchor the defense. 

Pretty much all of the stuff Wiley did for us but many didn't account for it because it wasn't on a stat sheet, but this season showed just how important he was. 

You're right as well, his skill set seems to be perfect for everything we like to do. He'd be avery big deal for us if we were lucky enough to land him.

Comparing Wiley to Kessler is a reach IMO. I know you like to hype up Wiley but he and Kessler are soo vastly different. Wiley was a pure post player straight out of the 90s and Kessler is more in line with the new age big guys in that he is a great passer, can stretch the court, and even handle the ball just a bit. I figure you know this so maybe i must be missing what you were trying to say there.