2021 5* UNC Transfer C Walker Kessler (4/12/21: Commits To AU!)

AuburnArch13

Until things stabilize with our roster and college basketball in general i am no longer looking beyond next years team. Stock pile as much talent as possible every single year and then worry about next year later. I used to be concerned about playing time and guys sticking around to form chemistry but there is no point in wasting energy with it. Guys come and go for any number of reasons and getting playing time is just one and probably not even the main reason a guy chooses a team any longer. 

I hope we have less roster movement as time goes on but i'm not counting on it. It's the way the sport appears to be heading atm so may as well go with it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

I hope Steven Pearl can pick up right where his dad left off when the time comes.

And rename the Arena the House of Pearl!

12 hours ago, toddc said:

After the meeting I joked with Steven about how his head coaching debut is coming if he’s not lying in wait for his father’s job.

I'd love to coach with my dad. There's no way I'd be in a hurry to fill a HC role.  I hope SP does fill in after Bruce picks up his broadcast career.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd love to coach with my dad. There's no way I'd be in a hurry to fill a HC role.  I hope SP does fill in after Bruce picks up his broadcast career.

Better yet!

After Bruce is hired as the new athletic director!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Better yet!

After Bruce is hired as the new athletic director!

I could dig either one of those moves. Bruce certainly has the charisma to carry either one...but I kinda like Greene, and we're in dire need of a radio guy...LOL

I'd love for Steven to be the head coach at AU AFTER he has at least 5-10 years experience of being the head coach somewhere. I hope Pearls success here has proven you can win at the highest level while being the basketball coach at Auburn. And this will now be a job that coaches actually seek out. 

• Thanks 1

If you read through everything you can find on Kessler since he went in the portal, it is obvious this kid is the real deal. With Covid and being a true freshmen, it took a while for Kessler to crack the lineup with Carolina already having other bigs that were more experienced. Once he got playing time Kessler showed out. 

I can't wait to watch us next year. If we stay healthy, we are going to be more than a handful once the team is comfortable playing together. 

We do need Scoot to commit and reclassify and grab one more talented guard.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2021 at 10:27 PM, AURex said:

Okay, all the way back to the OP, the guy has a hundred options for top teams. I WANT to believe he will actually come to AU.

BUT there's a long way to go and ya know, and as the old saying goes -- "If Candy & Nuts were and and & nuts ....

@AURex He is committed to AU & plans to enroll this Summer. Also as others have pointed out there are rarely flips in college basketball barring coaching changes at the committed school. You can relax on this one.

13 hours ago, AUBwins said:

And rename the Arena the House of Pearl!

Would that make the entrance The Pearly Gates??

23 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

If you read through everything you can find on Kessler since he went in the portal, it is obvious this kid is the real deal. With Covid and being a true freshmen, it took a while for Kessler to crack the lineup with Carolina already having other bigs that were more experienced. Once he got playing time Kessler showed out. 

I can't wait to watch us next year. If we stay healthy, we are going to be more than a handful once the team is comfortable playing together. 

We do need Scoot to commit and reclassify and grab one more talented guard.

I was super impressed with the UNC highlights i saw of him. Very active and moves very well for a 7 footer. I love the idea of having him and Jabari being interchangeable under the basket and out on the perimeter. We'll be able to pick and roll and pick and pop all day long with both of those guys in the lineup. If we can put some consistent shooting threats out there at the guard positions then look out. Also gotta have those 2 transfer PGs ready to play at a high level. It'll help a ton both of them already coming in with a good bit of experience playing at the college level. 

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I was super impressed with the UNC highlights i saw of him. Very active and moves very well for a 7 footer. I love the idea of having him and Jabari being interchangeable under the basket and out on the perimeter. We'll be able to pick and roll and pick and pop all day long with both of those guys in the lineup. If we can put some consistent shooting threats out there at the guard positions then look out. Also gotta have those 2 transfer PGs ready to play at a high level. It'll help a ton both of them already coming in with a good bit of experience playing at the college level. 

I agree with all this, plus even when a big goes outside, we should still have a great rebound game. 

AU will have one of the biggest starting lineups in the NCAA. Plus, these guys are not just big, they are talented. 2 of the 3 were 5 stars and 1 was a 4 star. Giant, talented guys. Schools will not be wanting to play us. I would expect us to go against several 3 guard lineups, which could make things interesting.

A heads up for @aubiefifty. Just wanted to let you know I deleted your thread because the article you posted is already in this Kessler thread right here…

this is why i do not like different articles buried in one thread. i am not going to go through each thread to see if anyone posted the article. it is not like the board is snowed under and when you do things that make it harder to post with out spending half your time on the fam seeing if an article has already been posted before you post something.... does this make any sense to you? it wastes time and it in its self by hunting for the article it discourages folks from posting. i do not get it. i get no money nor glory for posting articles. i am not a mod. but i have been told a couple of times by red he appreciates what i do for the board. i might ask red and the mods what can be done to fix this. i went and looked for articles. i found article i want to post. so i go to fam  and look through the titles of threads to see if it has already been posted. no title. so i go back to the other site and copy and then come back and post it. that is a lot of wasted time. do you get what i am saying? once he sign he is not a recruit anymore right? i am not trying to be a jerk but i wasted a lot of time trying to help the basketball folks out only to get my time wasted. plus i screw up enough on my own as it is. it is very frustrating.

Practicing against the best improves your game. The player who I think will be helped the most long run is Cardwell. Every day in  practice he will go up against Kessler and Jabari. That will automatically improve his defense and he will also pick up some O from them.. Cardwell actually does a good job of sealing his opponent and putting his hand up to show he is ready for an entry pass. Currently our guards don't pass to him because he hasn't shown a down low game once they have two players who do have a down low game it will become more natural to pass down low.

I think by the end of next year we will see a much improved Cardwell.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

this is why i do not like different articles buried in one thread. i am not going to go through each thread to see if anyone posted the article. it is not like the board is snowed under and when you do things that make it harder to post with out spending half your time on the fam seeing if an article has already been posted before you post something.... does this make any sense to you? it wastes time and it in its self by hunting for the article it discourages folks from posting. i do not get it. i get no money nor glory for posting articles. i am not a mod. but i have been told a couple of times by red he appreciates what i do for the board. i might ask red and the mods what can be done to fix this. i went and looked for articles. i found article i want to post. so i go to fam  and look through the titles of threads to see if it has already been posted. no title. so i go back to the other site and copy and then come back and post it. that is a lot of wasted time. do you get what i am saying? once he sign he is not a recruit anymore right? i am not trying to be a jerk but i wasted a lot of time trying to help the basketball folks out only to get my time wasted. plus i screw up enough on my own as it is. it is very frustrating.

I think what you do adds a ton of conversation, but I’d hope for a middle ground between making a new thread for literally every article made and multiple articles in one thread 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

(If we’re also on the topic of conversation, I’d wish that there was an indicator in the title that those threads that are only an article copy-paste was just that)

the last thing i want to do is mess up the board. i might just kick back and let the big boys do it. i get upset enough with myself double posting when i miss an article on at least page one.i guess it is the getting old and watching yourself slip. i guess i will smoke on and save the worl of skyrim for a while.

45 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

the last thing i want to do is mess up the board. i might just kick back and let the big boys do it. i get upset enough with myself double posting when i miss an article on at least page one.i guess it is the getting old and watching yourself slip. i guess i will smoke on and save the worl of skyrim for a while.

Man don’t get down on yourself for trying to add content. I mean there is one thread with nothing but burger nonsense. At least the articles you bring add actual substance to the board.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:
50 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Man don’t get down on yourself for trying to add content. I mean there is one thread with nothing but burger nonsense. At least the articles you bring add actual substance to the board.

@aubiefifty, if you could post an article about burgers that would be a huge value-add. Like real, objective burger content....

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3