2021 5* UNC Transfer C Walker Kessler (4/12/21: Commits To AU!)

AuburnArch13

7ft big man is leaving UNC. Kessler is from the state of Georgia and Auburn was in his top 5. Many thought Auburn was the favorite to land him before he picked UNC. Will Auburn be a potential landing spot for Kessler again?

• Thanks 1

Once Kessler got the UNC offer, his commitment was pretty soon after. It was such a disappointment. I would think some news would some out soon on where he is leaning. Really hope he doesn't go to UGA or any other SEC school. 

• Like 1

J-Boy reported Kessler's leaving on Facebook and seemed to be hinting he might be leaning toward Auburn. We don't exactly need big men, but if he wants to come here then you can't say no.

20 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

A lot of Auburn folks talking about this one on Twitter. Since this is reportedly a “basketball decision” I.e., he’s behind guys at UNC, transferring to Auburn would be a baffling decision for him. But if he did, you can take to the bank that we are losing one of Thor/Jaylin. We’d have 4 guys that think they deserve one of two starting spots. 

I don't think I like that trade off, quite frankly. I guess maybe Kessler is going to UGA then...

Kessler certainly has a different skill set than Dylan or Stretch. Would be surprised to see him at Auburn, but wouldn't be surprised to see him together with Powell somewhere.

12 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Kessler to AU picking up steam from an insider on the Bunker...

ANyone confirm the he talked to Justin Powell, and has cooled on Auburn?

Sounds weird he would call Powell, since they don't play the same position or don't seem to have any connection..but who knows...

Edited by steeleagle

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

ANyone confirm the talk that he talked Justin Powell, and has cooled on Auburn?

Sounds weird he would call Powell, since they don't play the same position or don't seem to have any connection..but who knows...

Haven't seen that, but saw what I posted about an hour ago. 

5 minutes ago, blakem said:

I’m confused so please explain. What exactly is “the bunker”?

Another forum that wants to be as good as AUFamily.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 1

I have a feeling that if we get Kessler that Cooper is staying. I say this because Bruce knows we need guards but if Sharife is staying and jasper is coming in plus Alexander we may have all we need.

37 minutes ago, blakem said:

I have a feeling that if we get Kessler that Cooper is staying. I say this because Bruce knows we need guards but if Sharife is staying and jasper is coming in plus Alexander we may have all we need.

No, we still need a veteran SG. To only have ALexander and again having to play Flanigan more at the 2 is not what we want to run our offense. 

If we can get 2 transfers in a PG and a combo guard would be great for us going into next year.

I also think Kessler's decision has nothing to do with what Cooper may or may not do. His decision is solely based on how much he wants to make in the NBA, and his best chance to secure a upper 1st round pick...

30 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

No, we still need a veteran SG. To only have ALexander and again having to play Flanigan more at the 2 is not what we want to run our offense. 

If we can get 2 transfers in a PG and a combo guard would be great for us going into next year.

I also think Kessler's decision has nothing to do with what Cooper may or may not do. His decision is solely based on how much he wants to make in the NBA, and his best chance to secure a upper 1st round pick...

I didn’t really mean kesslers decision as much as I meant Auburns decisions to heavily pursue him

• Like 1

I do think we need a 5. Stretch pretty much only blocks shots and rebounds a little. Cardwell at this time is limited on the offensive side even though I have hopes for him as I like his potential. Since our immediate need is PG if Sharife leaves we have to keep that scholarship open for a while then we would have to weigh another transfer to get Kessler vs getting Kessler and not getting another combo guard (more of a SG then PG).

PG we have Zep and maybe Sharife and in a crunch Alexander, Alexander and Flanagan give us 2 SG's, we have all kinds of options at 3 (SF) Thor, Smith, Moore, Flanagan, we have all kinds of options at 4 (PF) Thor, Smith Williams, Moore, at 5 (C) we have Williams, Stretch, Cardwell but could also use Thor and Smith in certain situations. Kessler outside shot could open the lane more for Alexander, Flanagan and others to drive while his height should allow him to protect the paint and rebound.

I wouldn't mind picking him up if we can do it without impacting us negatively someplace else. The only way I could say that for sure would be for Stretch to enter transfer portal as I would have to assume Kessler would take from what is already his limited minutes. This is all assuming he wants to come here.

Edited by AuburnNTexas

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I do think we need a 5. Stretch pretty much only blocks shots and rebounds a little. Cardwell at this time is limited on the offensive side even though I have hopes for him as I like his potential. Since our immediate need is PG if Sharife leaves we have to keep that scholarship open for a while then we would have to weigh another transfer to get Kessler vs getting Kessler and not getting another combo guard (more of a SG then PG).

PG we have Zep and maybe Sharife and in a crunch Alexander, Alexander and Flanagan give us 2 SG's, we have all kinds of options at 3 (SF) Thor, Smith, Moore, Flanagan, we have all kinds of options at 4 (PF) Thor, Smith Williams, Moore, at 5 (C) we have Williams, Stretch, Cardwell but could also use Thor and Smith in certain situations. Kessler outside shot could open the lane more for Alexander, Flanagan and others to drive while his height should allow him to protect the paint and rebound.

I wouldn't mind picking him up if we can do it without impacting us negatively someplace else. The only way I could say that for sure would be for Stretch to enter transfer portal as I would have to assume Kessler would take from what is already his limited minutes. This is all assuming he wants to come here.

Kessler isn’t turning down Gonzaga to play Stretch minutes at Auburn. 

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

And don't forget also knocks key players out of commission, letting them mull over and eventually transferring... :)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, auburnphan said:

very low chance of happening, let's focus on the guard from Missouri!!!!!!!!!!

You like him huh? He does have a nice shot. But I think for someone who was a bonafide starter on a pretty good basketball program that made the NCAAT but still wants to transfer, he must have another team in mind that he wants to transfer to already. IMO.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

You like him huh? He does have a nice shot. But I think for someone who was a bonafide starter on a pretty good basketball program that made the NCAAT but still wants to transfer, he must have another team in mind that he wants to transfer to already. IMO.

Based on his social media posts, Pinson was upset about his lack of playing time in the NCAA tournament. He barely saw the floor in the second half of their loss - apparently Cuonzo doesn’t trust his defense. 

• Like 1

Kessler would have to sit out a year, correct? If true, then I don’t understand why he would be worried about NEXT year’s crowded front court

2 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Kessler would have to sit out a year, correct? If true, then I don’t understand why he would be worried about NEXT year’s crowded front court

Pretty sure all NCAA basketball players get a mulligan on the "sit a year" rule this season bc of Covid.

• ellitor changed the title to 2020 5* C Walker Kessler (3/22/21 Enters Transfer Portal: Merged)
On 3/22/2021 at 2:07 PM, gravejd said:

If we can swing it on scholarship numbers

@gravejd We would make the numbers work to get him.

On 3/22/2021 at 2:07 PM, gravejd said:

And him having to sit out a year actually lines him up better with our needs.

Likely won't have to sit. The immediate play transfer rule that will be voted on next month & expected to pass for the 2021-22 season is for all sports.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:45 PM, JFDTiger80 said:

Once Kessler got the UNC offer, his commitment was pretty soon after.

@JFDTiger80 He had a committable UNC offer long before he committed to them. What swung things is they wowed him on his visit there & pulled him away from us.

On 3/22/2021 at 8:45 PM, JFDTiger80 said:

I would think some news would some out soon on where he is leaning

AU staff is wprking but word is they see the Zags as the clear favorite.