2018 Fall Camp - 8/07/18 (First Day Full Pads)

AUld fAUx@

Auburn University Football Fall camp observations: A running back pecking order, DB injury

Auburn held its first practice in full pads on Tuesday and allowed reporters inside to watch for approximately 20 minutes.

Here are some quick observations:

— Six players wore orange non-contact jerseys. Five of those players wore full pads and helmets and appeared to be participating in some aspects of practice: Wide receivers Eli Stove (ACL), Will Hastings (ACL) and Marquis McClain (undisclosed), offensive linemen Nick Brahms (leg) and Brodarious Hamm (knee), and defensive back Jeremiah Dinson (shoulder).

— Cornerback Noah Igbinoghene wore an orange jersey and was not dressed out at all. There is no word yet on the injury status of the sophomore expected to challenge for a starting job in the secondary.

— Quarterbacks: There were again no surprises at quarterback, where Jarrett Stidham took the first team reps and Malik Willis the second. Joe Gatewood appears to be third on the depth chart, with newcomer Cord Sandberg and senior walk-on Devin Adams behind him in that order.

Tuesday marked just the third organized football practice for Sandberg since he was a high school senior in Bradenton, Fla., but head coach Gus Malzahn said Sunday that "the ball comes out pretty natural; it’s just going to take him a little bit of time to get used to a bigger ball."

— Running backs: Tuesday's viewing window gave the first real insight to the pecking order out of the backfield. Here's how they rotated during handoff drills with the quarterbacks:

1. Stidham: Kam Martin, Malik Miller
  2. Willis: Chandler Cox, Asa Martin
  3. Gatewood: JaTarvious Whitlow
  4. Sandberg: C.J. Tolbert
  5. Adams: Shaun Shivers

Devan Barrett and Harold Joiner continued to work with the team's wide receivers rather than its running backs.

— Offensive line: There were no changes to the offensive line from Friday:

• First team: LT Prince Tega Wanogho, LG Marquel Harrell, C Kaleb Kim, RG Mike Horton, RT Austin Troxell
  • Second team: LT Bailey Sharp, LG Tashawn Manning, C Tucker Brown, RG Calvin Ashley, RT Jack Driscoll

Horton has been going back and forth between right guard and center, which continued Tuesday after he spent the day at center on Monday.

— Special teams: Anders Carlson made all seven of his field goal attempts, with a long of 45 yards. Ian Shannon served as the holder.

Number news: Driscoll changed numbers from 58 to 71. Joiner changed numbers from 22 to 29.”

https://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/fall-camp-observations-a-running-back-pecking-order-db-injury/article_dacb27b6-9a79-11e8-a322-bb83894d1846.html

Apparent name changes, and mergers, of threads should be noted here

• corchjay changed the title to 2018 Fall Camp - Day 5

Injuries happen every year we just don't need our spring injury luck to linger into the season. Hopefully McClain and Iggy are as Gus says it "dinged up".

2 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Injuries happen every year we just don't need our spring injury luck to linger into the season. Hopefully McClain and Iggy are as Gus says it "dinged up".

One hopes

"DB injury" in the headline, - is that something that happened today, or older injuries from spring/summer we already knew??

6 minutes ago, beaumak said:

"DB injury" in the headline, - is that something that happened today, or older injuries from spring/summer we already knew??

It's the mention of Noah not dressed out.

8 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

If Chandler Cox isn’t going to be playing running back then let’s give his second team reps to one of the others. 

IMHO he'd better NOT RB2.  That's a coaching failure.

9 minutes ago, beaumak said:

Not sure, but this one was new to me

"...— Cornerback Noah Igbinoghene wore an orange jersey and was not dressed out at all. There is no word yet on the injury status of the sophomore expected to challenge for a starting job in the secondary..."

ETA - already covered

4 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

100% which is why I do not understand the reps he is getting a RB. Not when there’s Martin, Shivers, and Whitlow  

Unless Gus has quietly decided on a change to a very pass happy style of offense...... I agree. 

I guess the bright side is Noah was a surprise on 1st team.  Still have Dean and Davis. I feel like this will end up being precautionary.

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Even in practice, Malik is not allowed to throw ?

1 hour ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

100% which is why I do not understand the reps he is getting a RB. Not when there’s Martin, Shivers, and Whitlow  

I guess since he's on the field most of the time anyway..Might as well give him some carries to switch things up. Having him for goal-line situations could work out. We'll have a big back we don't have to substitute for.

7 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

I guess since he's on the field most of the time anyway..Might as well give him some carries to switch things up. Having him for goal-line situations could work out. We'll have a big back we don't have to substitute for.

Cox brings a ton a experience back there from a blocking standpoint alone.   

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

IMHO he'd better NOT RB2.  That's a coaching failure.

IMHO he is taking those reps because he knows exactly what to do. Watching his reps can be more valuable than taking the rep yourself when you don’t know what you’re doing yet.  

Archived