Nick Coe is showing out

LKEEL75

link

Nick Coe might be Auburn's Buck pass rusher after all

AUBURN, Alabama — Never assume anything in life.

Even on the football field.

The idea that sophomore T.D. Moultry, the backup to Auburn sack leader Jeff Holland, was the heir apparent to take over and be the Tigers’ starting Buck pass rusher might actually be incorrect.

Sophomore Nick Coe is in the mix to not only play, but potentially start at the coveted pass-rushing position in Kevin Steele's defense. Coe, who finished the A-Day spring game as the defensive MVP (two tackles for loss, a sack and safety), can play three different positions along the defensive line — and if the season started today, it appears Coe may very well be the starter at Buck.

When asked about Moultry and Big Kat Bryant rotating at the Buck position following the fifth day of preseason camp (the first in full pads), Steele made it clear there’s more to the picture.

“That’s also Nick Coe’s position,” Steele said. “So we’ve got three guys that — Nick is, at this point in camp, really having a good camp. T.D. is a young guy that has a skillset, rushes the passer really well, and Big Kat is really coming along.”

Coe, an All-SEC freshman in 2017, is certainly the biggest player at the Buck position at 6-foot-5 and 282 pounds. He was named the SEC’s defensive lineman of the week after recording a sack and five tackles in a 26-14 victory against then-No. 1 Alabama in the Iron Bowl.

Auburn has managed to produce a double-digit sack leader at the Buck position in each of Steele’s first two seasons as the Tigers’ defensive coordinator. Could Coe be that next player at Buck? In a year full of freshman backups showing flashes of star power, he recorded 29 tackles, including 4.5 for losses and two sacks, in 2017. Moultry had 15 tackles, including 2.5 for losses and 1.5 sacks, and Bryant had five tackles, including two sacks.

“It may be another spot, and if it is, we’ll generate it and scheme it up to where it’s another spot, but if it happens to be that spot, then we’ll scheme it up and generate it from that spot,” Steele said. “It’s too early to tell that yet.”

Auburn returns nine of 10 players along the defensive line’s two-deep depth chart last season, and figures to be the best yet in the six years of Gus Malzahn’s tenure as head coach on the Plains. Coe is the most versatile in the group. He can play Buck, defensive end behind starter Marlon Davidsonor move inside to tackle in the Tigers’ “Rabbits” package.

“You’re talking about third down, and we’ve only had one day of third-down practice, so we’ve got to get into a scrimmage (Thursday) and have some more third-down deals, so that’s still a work in progress,” Steele said. “Obviously, the skillset allows Nick to be inside-outside and allows Marlon to be inside-outside.”

17COMMENTS

Working behind Davidson at defensive end are Coe, Derrick Brown and Andrew Williams.

“Those guys have been around so long, we’ve had them for two years,” Steele said. “They’re all interchangeable.”

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the post.  Not a surprise.  Coe is just too good not to be on the field most of the time.

Auburn’s defenses ability to terrorize Browning from the edges May be the difference maker in Hotlanta.

1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

He was named the SEC’s defensive lineman of the week after recording a sack and five tackles in a 26-14 victory against then-No. 1 Alabama in the Iron Bowl.

I watched the IB again yesterday. He was a terror in UA’s backfield in the 2nd half. His most impressive play was after he rushed Hurts, he chased down a RB dumpoff in the left flat that could have gone for a major gain.

Talked about this earlier this off season.  We can match up so much better against power teams.  Coach Steele has plenty of weapons to be creative.

2 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

Thanks for the post.  Not a surprise.  Coe is just too good not to be on the field most of the time.

I agree, but there’s at least four other players that are also too good not to be on the field most of the time. 

Looking forward to coach Strele constantly changing personnel groups to keep the other team off balance 

3 minutes ago, JoeinPF said:

I agree, but there’s at least four other players that are also too good not to be on the field most of the time. 

I'm so in love with statements like this....

OX579cc.gif

I am sure I will get blasted for this but Coe may be better than MD right now. Coe was playing at a higher level at the end of last season and seems to be stepping up in pre-season camp. 

With the talent along the entire DL, there is little if any drop off from one guy to the next at each position. This is one heck of a good problem that will have us near or at the top of all SEC statistics on the defensive side of the ball. This team could be scary good if some things fall in place like I think they have the full potential to do so.  Auburn football is going to become much stronger this season in ways we all have been waiting for since the 2013 season.

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

I am sure I will get blasted for this but Coe may be better than MD right now. Coe was playing at a higher level at the end of last season and seems to be stepping up in pre-season camp. 

No blast here. Marlon is a stud!  But I think Nick Coe is at least as good as Marlon.  I want to see a lot of both of them this year!  I think Coe will be a great Buck against power teams, and a great DT in the Rabbit package, and a great 1B option at DE.  This should get him on the field a lot in various ways.  

I really think that CKS will unleash his beasts on UW's QB early and often and have him playing scared after we have established our D as the supreme force on the field that will not relent until the 60 minutes of game time comes to a merciful end for Browning. This could be a fun game for us to watch unfold and play out. If we shut them down from the get go, it could be a long night for the UW offense.  UW will likely not face a defense all season that is formidable as Auburn unless we face them again in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Maybe won’t matter if he plays the buck position!

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

With the talent along the entire DL, there is little if any drop off from one guy to the next at each position. This is one heck of a good problem that will have us near or at the top of all SEC statistics on the defensive side of the ball. This team could be scary good if some things fall in place like I think they have the full potential to do so.  Auburn football is going to become much stronger this season in ways we all have been waiting for since the 2013 season.

I can't get tired of talking about the defense. I remember the Ellis Johnson days *shudders*

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I really think that CKS will unleash his beasts on UW's QB early and often and have him playing scared after we have established our D as the supreme force on the field that will not relent until the 60 minutes of game time comes to a merciful end for Browning. This could be a fun game for us to watch unfold and play out. If we shut them down from the get go, it could be a long night for the UW offense.  UW will likely not face a defense all season that is formidable as Auburn unless we face them again in the playoffs.

I hope Coach Garner earns a raise after the Washington game.  I hope he has his boys so fired up that no one even talks about the DL for Washington.  Which consequently is supposed to be one of the strongest we will face all year.

9 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I can't get tired of talking about the defense. I remember the Ellis Johnson days *shudders*

Come on man...  I been trying to forget those days!

11 hours ago, WFE12 said:

The days of having to put up 40+ to win.

43 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

The days of having to put up 40+ to win.

I probably shouldn't have dug that can of worms up.

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

One of my favorite players. Hi guys!

Hi back!

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Thanks for the drive- by Cole, good to see you. One of my favorite players as well.

On 8/9/2018 at 4:09 PM, cole256 said:

Bro it's fine if you don't want to show up for OTAs but you'd best not be a hold-out. We need you in camp. Gonna be a big season and we're counting on you. 

On 8/8/2018 at 11:58 PM, WFE12 said:

And the BVG days, and the Ted Roof days. ?‍♂️

From 09-14 we had 6 years of embarrassingly bad defense with the exception of several individual plays in 2010.  

I am SO GRATEFUL we can talk about good defense on the Plains again!

Archived