Nick Coe is showing out

LKEEL75

On 8/9/2018 at 12:58 AM, WFE12 said:

I can't get tired of talking about the defense. I remember the Ellis Johnson days *shudders*

25 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

And the BVG days, and the Ted Roof days. ?‍♂️

From 09-14 we had 6 years of embarrassingly bad defense with the exception of several individual plays in 2010.  

Gotta wonder what all those guys had in common. They didn't all suck as bad as their defenses at Auburn often did. 

I am SO GRATEFUL we can talk about good defense on the Plains again!

I'm personally grateful to Gus Malzahn and Will Muschamp. I'm very grateful to Kevin Steele, also, but if he had been the guy in 2013 and 2014, I'm not sure he would have fared a ton better than CEJ did. Gus and Boom made sh** roll uphill and we are back in the happy place. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

As good as MD, DR, and DB are, I wouldn’t argue with anyone who said Nick Coe was our best DL.  

He’s definitely a Swiss Army Knife on the defensive line!

On 8/13/2018 at 9:52 AM, McLoofus said:

Bro it's fine if you don't want to show up for OTAs but you'd best not be a hold-out. We need you in camp. Gonna be a big season and we're counting on you. 

You know I'm always ready when it's game time coach!

On 8/13/2018 at 9:26 AM, McLoofus said:

Gotta wonder what all those guys had in common. They didn't all suck as bad as their defenses at Auburn often did. 

I'm personally grateful to Gus Malzahn and Will Muschamp. I'm very grateful to Kevin Steele, also, but if he had been the guy in 2013 and 2014, I'm not sure he would have fared a ton better than CEJ did. Gus and Boom made sh** roll uphill and we are back in the happy place. 

The talent difference on defense now compared to then is a huge reason why we've improved.  

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The talent difference on defense now compared to then is a huge reason why we've improved.  

I would argue against someone who knew Xs and Os as little as I do that the talent didn't improve in 2015 nearly as much as the defensive production did. But I'm arguing against you so I'm honestly not sure how to play this one. ?

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

True.... muschamp deserves much credit tho as he instilled a mentality that was desperately needed.    

7 minutes ago, lala said:

True.... muschamp deserves much credit tho as he instilled a mentality that was desperately needed.    

Absolutely

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would argue against someone who knew Xs and Os as little as I do that the talent didn't improve in 2015 nearly as much as the defensive production did. But I'm arguing against you so I'm honestly not sure how to play this one. ?

Schematically, EJ's 4-2-5 is very similar to what we run 95% of the time

What a great problem to have....choosing which of those guys to start......depth is gonna be a real asset this year if everyone can stay healthy.

Does anyone know NC’s secret weapon? I do...he wrestled in high school and was damn good at it.  I wish all of our linemen on both side of the line had wrestled...really helps in so many ways for football.

You can run every kind of defense on the face of this planet and will likely fail, if you do not have the talent, mindset, depth and sound coaching to run it. We now have each of these ingredients to be highly successful and win any game on our schedule. With players like Nick Coe throughout our defense,  we have the makings of one of the meanest & toughest defenses in all of college football.

If our offense comes together in early September and plays like we know they are capable of, this could be a special season in a very good way. We will be facing some good teams scattered throughout our schedule and it is important that the defense and offense are there to pick up the slack for each other.  I think we have the right stuff to be very good and to make some teams dread having to face off against us knowing that a loss is likely to happen for them. 

3 hours ago, Warbird82 said:

Does anyone know NC’s secret weapon? I do...he wrestled in high school and was damn good at it.  I wish all of our linemen on both side of the line had wrestled...really helps in so many ways for football.

Not to sour, but a few years ago, I read Saban mandated all his players participate in wrestling practices. No clue if he still does.

I like Coe a lot. But please help me remember or tell me if my memory is this bad. Wasn’t he more of a hybrid DE /DT last year? Maybe not. 

9 hours ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Not to sour, but a few years ago, I read Saban mandated all his players participate in wrestling practices. No clue if he still does.

Nothing sour about it.  Considering, perhaps a great idea.

29 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Nothing sour about it.  Considering, perhaps a great idea.

All I know about wrestling is that I took it in PE at AU and it flat wore my butt out.  It is very strenuous and you use about every muscle and quickness is a big advantage....most of which I lacked...... so some up the better athletes dragged me up and down the mat at will.  

Coe was a top wrestler in HS and I have to believe those same physical requirements for wrestling are a major advantage for a pass rushing DL.

2 hours ago, alexava said:

I like Coe a lot. But please help me remember or tell me if my memory is this bad. Wasn’t he more of a hybrid DE /DT last year? Maybe not. 

Yep. We seem to be making that more of the rule than the exception. Davidson, Coe, a couple of these guys in our current recruiting class... I think Brown has even played some DE.

Seems like at any given time we might have 2 of those hybrid guys, a true DT and a buck in the game. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. We seem to be making that more of the rule than the exception. Davidson, Coe, a couple of these guys in our current recruiting class... I think Brown has even played some DE.

Seems like at any given time we might have 2 of those hybrid guys, a true DT and a buck in the game. 

Certain packages Brown does line up outside. But I consider the Buck a DE/LB type. Just indicates some athletes and versatility. 

12 hours ago, AU64 said:

All I know about wrestling is that I took it in PE at AU and it flat wore my butt out.  It is very strenuous and you use about every muscle and quickness is a big advantage....most of which I lacked...... so some up the better athletes dragged me up and down the mat at will.  

Coe was a top wrestler in HS and I have to believe those same physical requirements for wrestling are a major advantage for a pass rushing DL.

Wrestling helps these big guys with quickness, agility, balance, hand-fighting...and most importantly, how to be physical.  If you are not physical in wrestling you get your arse kicked really bad...NC kicked a lot of folks arses in high school.  Now he's doing it in the big leagues...

25 minutes ago, Warbird82 said:

Wrestling helps these big guys with quickness, agility, balance, hand-fighting...and most importantly, how to be physical.  If you are not physical in wrestling you get your arse kicked really bad...NC kicked a lot of folks arses in high school.  Now he's doing it in the big leagues...

If you don't have those four attributes?      I got a first hand lesson in that fact in Coach Dragoin's PE class. :)

10 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

Most elite wrestlers are absolutely mental ... coe has great physicality but his success is between his ears

When I think about high school wrestlers, I think about that movie Vision Quest, which 1000% supports your statement.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

When I think about high school wrestlers, I think about that movie Vision Quest, which 1000% supports your statement.

When I think of Vision Quest, I'm not thinking about the wrestler.

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

When I think of Vision Quest, I'm not thinking about the wrestler.

You're thinking about that rad Red Rider song, right?? /s

(I heard 'Life is a Highway' the other day and it still seems impossible that he's also the 'Lunatic Fringe' guy.)

34 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You're thinking about that rad Red Rider song, right?? /s

(I heard 'Life is a Highway' the other day and it still seems impossible that he's also the 'Lunatic Fringe' guy.)

Yes, the song is what I think about...sure.

Actually, that WAS a B.A. song back in the day.

Yes... Also hard to believe Slow Ride came from Foghat.

15 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yes, the song is what I think about...sure.

Actually, that WAS a B.A. song back in the day.

Yes... Also hard to believe Slow Ride came from Foghat.

There are 2 kinds of people in the world: Those who thought Slow Ride was cool before 'Dazed and Confused' and those who thought it was after. Don't @ me. 

Archived