Nick Coe is showing out

LKEEL75

17 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There are 2 kinds of people in the world: Those who thought Slow Ride was cool before 'Dazed and Confused' and those who thought it was after. Don't @ me. 

Had it on the 8 track in the 70's along with Fool for the City.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There are 2 kinds of people in the world: Those who thought Slow Ride was cool before 'Dazed and Confused' and those who thought it was after. Don't @ me. 

I was jammin' to Slow Ride while my Dad played it on his "hi-fi" when I was 3-4 years old.  ?

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:15 PM, bigbird said:

Schematically, EJ's 4-2-5 is very similar to what we run 95% of the time

A big difference IMHO is Ellis persisted with that formation though he did not have the SPECIFIC talent needed to run it - like a world class, NFL caliber defensive QB "star" hybrid linebacker/safety.  

12 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Had it on the 8 track in the 70's along with Fool for the City.

12 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I was jammin' to Slow Ride while my Dad played it on his "hi-fi" when I was 3-4 years old.  ?

Oh hell yeah!

Just now, aucanucktiger said:

A big difference IMHO is Ellis persisted with that formation though he did not have the SPECIFIC talent needed to run it - like a world class, NFL caliber defensive QB "star" hybrid linebacker/safety.  

Therize was good and T. Reed could've been an All-American. To me, it was the LB and safeties that we're lacking.

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Therize was good and T. Reed could've been an All-American. To me, it was the LB and safeties that we're lacking.

Plus, and I could be wrong, I don't believe CEJ's plan was as aggressive as CKS's.  Seems it was more "read & react" vs "see ball kill the carrier".

32 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Therizie is one of my all time favorites. 

My thing with Ellis Johnson has always been the 2 different defenses in 2014. Look at the points we surrendered week by week:

1st 5 games, which included 2 SECW teams, one of whom was ranked, and a Thursday night game in Kansas against a ranked KSU team:
21 (all in the first half)
7 (LSU)

The rest of the season, which was definitely against stiffer competition, but still:
7 (Samford)

That's 2 different football seasons with a clear dividing line. We went from pretty good to atrocious overnight, and "overnight" happened pretty closely to whatever weird locker room stuff happened that season. Not sure what changed, but it probably wasn't the guy who had been coaching football for 35 years. And if everything I've heard is to be believed, Will Muschamp had to be assured that whatever behind-the-scenes crap that plagued the previous 3 DCs wouldn't be an issue for him.

Anyway. It's pretty freaking awesome to argue about what our problems used to be. I'm glad Nick Coe is playing for this football team. 11 days!

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My thing with Ellis Johnson has always been the 2 different defenses in 2014. Look at the points we surrendered week by week:

1st 5 games, which included 2 SECW teams, one of whom was ranked, and a Thursday night game in Kansas against a ranked KSU team:
7 (LSU)

The rest of the season, which was definitely against stiffer competition, but still:
7 (Samford)

That's 2 different football seasons with a clear dividing line. We went from pretty good to atrocious overnight, and "overnight" happened pretty closely to whatever weird locker room stuff happened that season. Not sure what changed, but it probably wasn't the guy who had been coaching football for 35 years. And if everything I've heard is to be believed, Will Muschamp had to be assured that whatever behind-the-scenes crap that plagued the previous 3 DCs wouldn't be an issue for him.

Anyway. It's pretty freaking awesome to argue about what our problems used to be. I'm glad Nick Coe is playing for this football team. 11 days!

I'm gonna go ahead and say it was Tim Jackson's fault..:P

OK, this doesn’t have anything to do with Nick Coe, who I think is going to be an absolute stud, but continuing the Ellis Johnson discussion: 

Johnson’s alignment may have been similar to the nickel package run back coach Steele, but the technique used by the defensive backs is certainly different.  From my untrained eye it appears that Johnson wanted the DB’s to keep everything in front of them and wait for help to arrive where as Steele wants the DB’s to arrive when the ball arrives with a great deal of violence. 

If some of you professional coach types have a more concise explanation of the technique differences please share it with us.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

7 (LSU)

7 (Samford)

The 35 is when Spurrier exposed the defense (the MSU game was different).  Specifically he attacked Therize and a couple other mismatches.  I told a friend of mine after the game, we better find a way to fix that or things are going to get ugly.  We didn't. 

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

When I think about high school wrestlers, I think about that movie Vision Quest, which 1000% supports your statement.

One of the best soundtracks ever plus watch these workouts/match

59 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

The 35 is when Spurrier exposed the defense (the MSU game was different).  Specifically he attacked Therize and a couple other mismatches.  I told a friend of mine after the game, we better find a way to fix that or things are going to get ugly.  We didn't. 

Well, it's very clear that we didn't fix anything once it was broken. Only question is when did it break and why. Was it broken all along, and the first five coaches we faced were 20 points a game less observant than the last 8? I personally don't think so.

Archived