Cover 1 - attack

corchjay

Chip brought up that our offense if facing a lot of Cover 1.  As an ex OC I will try to explain some of attacking a Cover 1 base defense.  

Motion by the offense will expose if the Defense is in Cover 1.  The FS will not move with motion to strong or weak side.  So you can identify Cover 1 pretty quickly.

Running straight at the defense.  If all blocking works it gets the running backs on the safeties.  

Alignment of the corners.  That's why you see WRs making hand gestures back to the QB to show if the corner is inside leverage or outside leverage.  If the corner is showing inside leverage( meaning they are lining up closer to the ball then WR) The defense is able to be attacked by out routes or fades.  If lined up outside leverage (meaning the corner is lined up  farther away from the ball then the WR) which we have been seeing a lot of.  Shallow crossing routes, like very shallow crossing routes in front of line backers.  Pick plays on the Lbs on crossing routes are also way to attack.  Intermediate middle of the field is very dangerous because the FS is reading the QB, however over the top of the FS is "open".  

Passing to the running backs in short routes or swing passes.  It basically Linebacker vs running back.  You win some you lose some.  I think that's why Chip is wanting backs that can catch the ball.

The screen game comes into a way of attacking but also why your see out WR always try to get down the sideline and the blocking WR trying to block to free the sideline because the FS is coming for support.  

@bigbird can you provide some insight on why Cover 1 is a good defense against AU's offense?  Think it'd be good discussion

Great info coach but bird will post so much crap he'll even throw in the Tampa 2 defense some how. 

Once again thanks for sharing

I can see he's writing a post now

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Great info coach but bird will post so much crap he'll even throw in the Tampa 2 defense some how. 

Once again thanks for sharing

I can see he's writing a post now

LOL.  He's probably still working those poor 3rd graders to death at practice.  

Also as Chip explained because of Cover 1 Defense is why you don't see a lot of 10-15 yard intermediate routes thrown to.  The FS is the key.  He's either bracketing that route or waiting to jump the pass for an INT.  Also why the OLB and FS can jump the 10 yard slant because they are "reading" that zone.  

But we must continue to make the FS work by bringing guys into his area and making him "read" the routes.  It's why improving our intermediate route running is key.  Get the one big body WR in the zone to take the FS into bracket coverage and throw the deep ball to the other WR over the top.  Double moves have also been good for us against safeties that aren't "elite".  The corner-post route by Hastings is a good example and the post-corner by NCM.  Timing is key on the post-corner so the SS can't get over for double coverage, Play action, keep eyes in the middle of the field, 3 step drop from the fake, hit the WR outside the numbers going to the boundry.  

Once we get reliable big bodied TEs they can also do the basketball rebound route.  Run to the FS and post him up or in the running back draw game knock him on his ass

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

@bigbird can you provide some insight on why Cover 1 is a good defense against AU's offense?  

I've said it before, if you can defend a post, a wr screen, a rail, and a deep out you can take away our passing game.  Granted we are expanding our tree, but cv1 allows the D to cvr those routes easily without losing any leverage on the run game. When the D is in CV 1,  it allows them to press our wr and really attack our screen game while providing help over the top during play action.

Typically you see a lot of 1 and 3 against us because it allows for an extra defender in the box.  Many times you'll see the pre-snap look as 2 or 4  and then roll the safety either as a predetermined call or based on formation and motion.  Most teams will limit 3 against us because you lose your lbs to the outside.

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

Sorry, @bigbird is currently busy...

HeftyEquatorialFoxhound-size_restricted.

These Madtv sketches are the funniest I have ever seen.  For anyone that hasn’t seen them, look up “Coach Hines” on YouTube.  

Sorry for the derail, just never see these references anymore.  To the topic, thank you for explaining this.  To anyone that has more knowledge, what type of defense does Washington prefer to employ?

16 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

These Madtv sketches are the funniest I have ever seen.  For anyone that hasn’t seen them, look up “Coach Hines” on YouTube.  

Sorry for the derail, just never see these references anymore.  To the topic, thank you for explaining this.  To anyone that has more knowledge, what type of defense does Washington prefer to employ?

I'm pretty sure they run a 4-2-5.  Coverage will depend on opponent.  I would expect Cover 1

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm pretty sure they run a 4-2-5.  Coverage will depend on opponent.  I would expect Cover 1

And like I predicted in another thread don't remember which one.  Offensively the game will be our young running backs vs their young linebackers.   Throw in Ryan Davis and I think he's the difference maker.  Plus if the pass pro holds up expect to see 6-8 deep shots.  

5 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Plus if the pass pro holds up expect to see 6-8 deep shots

Even if not, chances are they'll still be called. :homer:D'oh! 

56 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

You done messed up now A A Ron. Go to Oshack henesy’s office 

23 minutes ago, WaynesAUworld said:

You done messed up now A A Ron. Go to Oshack henesy’s office 

7F169092-398C-4F29-9A64-EAE5D462FDBB.gif

0611076D-02EA-40E4-A8A0-5494B3E70C2D.gif

11 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

@bigbird Is that why ypu were calling for the mills concept to be used last year? I seem to remember it being discussed

Mills is a great way to attack 2 and 4 and test a Safety’s eye discipline. Mills can also be successful against 1-high looks and be run with play action to draw up a Linebacker or Safety to create a void in the middle zone...Which we seldom throw into.

I would prefer more levels and flood type concepts when going against zone coverages and more crosses, rubs, outs/ins, and digs against man teams.

We run Mill Concept routes.

The Louis TD in 2013 is a perfect example of that.  However the safety dropped deep and Marshall should have hit the dig route to Sammy.  

A difference between our pass attack and some of the Mills concept is we don’t run a ton of timing routes.  Not sure why.  

Everyone should watch some of our offense and not watch the ball.  Watch the routes.  We run a lot of intermediate stuff I think because of coverage and the abilities of the safeties across the league we stay away from the 10-15 yard middle.

31 minutes ago, corchjay said:

We run Mill Concept routes.

The issue to me is we don't seem to exploit the coverages that are being run against us.  

Archived