CorchJay's Top 8 RB (available/possible)

corchjay

As promised here is a Top 8 evaluated by me by video I can find of running backs that are available and listening and/or has offers from us.  Plus what my 247 rating would be for each

1. Mark Anthony Richards 96

2. Noah Cain 94

3. Deondrick Glass 93

4. Derrian Brown 92

5. Ronald Thompkins (Nebraska Commit) 90

6. Kenny McIntosh - Big back if we want a big back but overrated in my opinion 89

7. Tye Edwards 88

8. Tahj Gary 87

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, corchjay said:

As promised here is a Top 8 evaluated by me by video I can find of running backs that are available and listening and/or has offers from us.  Plus what my 247 rating would be for each

2. Noah Cain 94

3. Deondrick Glass 93

4. Derrian Brown 92

6. Kenny McIntosh - Big back if we want a big back but overrated in my opinion 89

7. Tye Edwards 88

8. Tahj Gary 87

Spot on, in my mind. I really hope we can catch up and land Richards. I like Derrian Brown a lot also

28 minutes ago, corchjay said:

2. Noah Cain 94

3. Deondrick Glass 93

4. Derrian Brown 92

7. Tye Edwards 88

8. Tahj Gary 87

For what it’s worth the top three on Auburn’s board right now is Caun, Richards, and Macintosh.  Brown has fallen off the board. Auburn hasn’t communicated with him in a while.  Lastly Auburn doesn’t view Edwards as a running back. They like him much better as a linebacker. However he’s adamant. That he wants to play running back instead of linebacker.

Hey coach. Have you looked at Thompkins highlights specifically against Hoover at the beginning of last season before he got hurt? I’ve seen other scouts say they were very impressed with him in that game against that competition. I have a sneaky feeling he will end up in the class barring another serious injury.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

For what it’s worth the top three on Auburn’s board right now is Caun, Richards, and Macintosh.  Brown has fallen off the board. Auburn hasn’t communicated with him in a while.  Lastly Auburn doesn’t view Edwards as a running back. They like him much better as a linebacker. However he’s adamant. That he wants to play running back instead of linebacker.

I think Brown is much in the mold of what we already have in both Martins and Whitlow.  Brown may be a tad smaller and maybe a hair quicker but doesn't really bring anything to the table that we don't already have.  

Richards is my top guy right now.  He's a lot like KJ, could be drafted as RB, Safety, or possibly WR.... Very athletic.

Cain is player you just know what you are gonna get.  Very solid consistent very good running back that coming from IMG is probably very well coached and knows how to work hard.  The very safe bet.

Glass I'm not sure interest on either side.  He has an offer and still uncommitted.  I like his size, his thump, and his receiving skills.

Thompkins I'll put as the wild card.  Nice size, speed, running back instincts but plays on a loaded Grayson team.  Add in the leg injury and not sure what to make of him but without the injury would have probably been a top 12ish type running back for his class.  Something like Asa. 

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Hey coach. Have you looked at Thompkins highlights specifically against Hoover at the beginning of last season before he got hurt? I’ve seen other scouts say they were very impressed with him in that game against that competition. I have a sneaky feeling he will end up in the class barring another serious injury.

Just wrote up about him right behind your question... I got him as the wild card in the running back class.  Need to show him some love and see what happens.  

I just hope we don't play the Cain card to long if he isn't ready to say yes we are at the top 1 or 2 and get stuck in Dec taking Edwards or Gary when I think we have a shot at much better. 

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I just hope we don't play the Cain card to long if he isn't ready to say yes we are at the top 1 or 2 and get stuck in Dec taking Edwards or Gary when I think we have a shot at much better. 

The staff expect to have a good idea on Cain by October. An AU corndog feast in September and a smelly start for them could really help out with Cain.

You could be right on Gary but I am in the boat with a number of others that I’ve seen on various boards thinking that he is pretty talented. But you’ve probably forgotten more about running backs and running back talent than I will ever know.

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

The staff expect to have a good idea on Cain by October. An AU corndog feast in September and a smelly start for them could really help out with Cain.

You could be right on Gary but I am in the boat with a number of others that I’ve seen on various boards thinking that he is pretty talented. But you’ve probably forgotten more about running backs and running back talent than I will ever know.

I have Gary a high 3 star which is very talented but in my opinion he's behind all these others.  

51 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I have Gary a high 3 star which is very talented but in my opinion he's behind all these others.  

87 is a mid to high level Three star on 24 7 system Leaning towards the hurricane but definitely in the middle. Three stars go up to 89.

For what it’s worth there is a committed running back that is also possible for Auburn. Steele Chambers. He’s committed to Ohio state right now but you’d have to think that he would be flipable given everything going on over there right now.

@corchjay, I'm not a recruitnik and don't fully understand how grading goes so just a QQ...

Hi 96 vs Lo 87

Is that a severe difference or is 87 still pretty awesome?

40 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

@corchjay, I'm not a recruitnik and don't fully understand how grading goes so just a QQ...

Hi 96 vs Lo 87

Is that a severe difference or is 87 still pretty awesome?

Not Corch But I follow the 247 rankings closely. And this is how they classify those rankings.  96 is roughly between the 30th and 40th best player overall in the class.   Someone projected to be a second round pick in the NFL draft eventually. 87 is roughly between the 500th and 700th best player overall in the class. Someone not expected to be drafted but could be a solid contributor in the college level.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not Corch But I follow the 247 rankings closely. And this is how they classify those rankings.  96 is roughly between the 30th and 40th best player overall in the class.   Someone projected to be a second round pick in the NFL draft eventually. 87 is roughly between the 500th and 700th best player overall in the class. Someone not expected to be drafted but could be a solid contributor in the college level.

Thank you E.

So, we'd much rather AU signs 96's vs 87's...

17 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Thank you E.

So, we'd much rather AU signs 96's vs 87's...

87 and above are generally considered solid SEC contributors.

9 minutes ago, corchjay said:

87 and above are generally considered solid SEC contributors.

Thanks Corch.  So, we'll take 87's but would be much happier with 90+'s...

Appreciate the insight.

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Thanks Corch.  So, we'll take 87's but would be much happier with 90+'s...

Appreciate the insight.

That’s correct.  However my Top rated running back last year was a 3 star.  Many other AU fans agreed he was rated way to low.  Master Teague. 

I don’t know the numbers like E does but a general baseline for me is anything 96 and above is top 50ish player in the country.  94 and above Top 100ish.  90 and above top 300ish.  86 and above Top 500ish.  82 and above Top 1000.  

Many players in the top 500 and good work ethic and desire to be coached and get better has the natural ability to be an SEC starter at most schools.  Right now the exceptions would be UGA, bammer, LSU, and AU where a majority of those players are top 300 players.

To further explain a player rated an 80 or above will more then likely in most situations be the best player on the field in high school especially in lower level classification school sizes.

11 minutes ago, corchjay said:

That’s correct.  However my Top rated running back last year was a 3 star.  Many other AU fans agreed he was rated way to low.  Master Teague. 

I don’t know the numbers like E does but a general baseline for me is anything 96 and above is top 50ish player in the country.  94 and above Top 100ish.  90 and above top 300ish.  86 and above Top 500ish.  82 and above Top 1000.  

Many players in the top 500 and good work ethic and desire to be coached and get better has the natural ability to be an SEC starter at most schools.  Right now the exceptions would be UGA, bammer, LSU, and AU where a majority of those players are top 300 players.

To further explain a player rated an 80 or above will more then likely in most situations be the best player on the field in high school especially in lower level classification school sizes.

Thank you so much.  Very helpful as I read the recruiting info.  

36 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Master was a three star at the time but ended up a four star. 

86 is actually 700 to 900 level. 82 is between 1000 and 1500. Those aren’t  exact numbers but they are generalities that can be seen Iby going to some of Auburn’s lower rated commit pages and seeing their 247 only rating And where that rating ranks them.

I like the days when we use to sign big RB's. I wish we would go back to that time sign a big back every few years. Darrian Brown or Noah Cain would also be a huge plus for our RB class

Archived