CorchJay's Top 8 RB (available/possible)

corchjay

To me it looks like a no brainer to push and take Tye! If he does not workout at RB he appears to be a can't miss LB prospect. We are struggling to get 1 or 2 more top shelf LB's committed and this way we potentially check 2 boxes with one person. In my mind getting 3 top notch LB's committed is more important since McBryde was injured and it is not clear whether he will come back for his 5th year. We need some insurance there. That would make Mickey happy for sure.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, auol72 said:

We are struggling to get 1 or 2 more top shelf LB's committed

I wouldn't say that just because we don't see much publicly. We have a good shot at flipping Tyron Hopper & I can definitely see T-Will pulling another one out of the hat.

41 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Horton tweeted that he's in Florida today recruiting FWIW. 

Putnam. Different part of the state. T-Will is Tye's lead & area recruiter. Have not seen word whether T-Will will visit there today.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

I wouldn't say that just because we don't see much publicly. We have a good shot at flipping Tyron Hopper & I can definitely see T-Will pulling another one out of the hat.

Trezman

Just now, ellitor said:

From what I have seen UGA has grabbed momentum back with him.

More a wish if anything. But I could see T-will pulling him out of his hat at the last minute

14 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

More a wish if anything. But I could see T-will pulling him out of his hat at the last minute

T-will needs to pull some LB, preferably two, out of his hat. 2016 we signed one and he left long ago. 2017 we signed three but one went to DE, leaving two. Last year we signed three prospects and one project, but one prospect went to DE leaving, at best, three. This year we have one commit while three will graduate and McBryde may not be back on the field due to injury.

IF nobody leaves, gets hurt or runs into legal difficulties (big if) next year we'll have only six LB's on the entire team and none of them will be a returning starter. We've already made a mess at the position. If measures aren't taken this cycle to start correcting it, we're headed for the same depths we were in before Muschamp signed five in 2015 and returned the defense to acceptable. LB requires three good prospects a year to just maintain, more if rebuilding is needed. We've been coming up short.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

T-will needs to pull some LB, preferably two, out of his hat. 2016 we signed one and he left long ago. 2017 we signed three but one went to DE, leaving two. Last year we signed three prospects and one project, but one prospect went to DE leaving, at best, three. This year we have one commit while three will graduate and McBryde may not be back on the field due to injury.

IF nobody leaves, gets hurt or runs into legal difficulties (big if) next year we'll have only six LB's on the entire team and none of them will be a returning starter. We've already made a mess at the position. If measures aren't taken this cycle to start correcting it, we're headed for the same depths we were in before Muschamp signed five in 2015 and returned the defense to acceptable. LB requires three good prospects a year to just maintain, more if rebuilding is needed. We've been coming up short.

Okay

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10820080

It’s almost as if you and I and everyone else on this forum haven’t explained multiple times that we typically only play 2 LBers...

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10820080

Indeed. We should probably whine about it.

2 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

It’s almost as if you and I and everyone else on this forum haven’t explained multiple times that we typically only play 2 LBers...

Doesn't matter. The opinion has been formed. To adopt a more informed, sensible opinion would be to admit defeat.

3 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

The lineup lists starters and reserves for Weak side LB, Strong side LB and Middle LB. There are plenty of times when all three are out there at the same time. If you are saying that replacing the four LB's that are leaving with one commit is a good thing, I don't think you are looking at the situation with any sense of reason at all.

We only play one Buck, yet there are three on the team and two more committed in this class. We seldom use a TE, yet there are three on the team and two committed. Going by that, we should have nine LB's on the team now and four+ committed. Somebody needs to get off of it and get to shakin' on the LB recruiting trail.

It's a shame Wooten and KJ Britt aren't working out.

(JK, JK, JK.  - I saw Britt doing a fine job picking up the receiver last night in the crossing lane and Wooten moved to the ball with explosiveness).  Both looked good against Al State.  

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

It's a shame Wooten and KJ Britt aren't working out.

(JK, JK, JK.  - I saw Britt doing a fine job picking up the receiver last night in the crossing lane and Wooten moved to the ball with explosiveness).  Both looked good against Al State.  

So did Zakoby

As a general statement, I agree with Mikey's premise. There are 2-3 LB positions and a fairly high wash out rate for LBs between HS and college (it seems to be a difficult position to project, especially as coverage becomes a bigger and bigger part of playing the position). For that reason, it's best to sign 3-4 guys each year to fill the 2-3 positions. That gives you wiggle room to deal with guys not panning out.

However, I also don't think roster decisions are made in a vacuum. We've hit at an inordinately high % lately at that position. Usually, you'd say signing one, two, and three LBs in successive classes, respectively, is undersigning, which will create an issue. Usually. But if those guys are KJ Britt, Chandler Wooten, Zacoby McClain, Michael Harris, and Josh Marsh, and the coaches feel REALLY good about three of them and good about the other two... well, now you have a different outlook on the necessity of signing a big class. I think it's a non-issue because Mikey is saying "Sign three this year" and the coaching staff is saying "We will sign three this year" so they actually agree, but even if we add Owen Pappoe and two projects, I still think we're okay next year if any two of Pappoe, Harris, and Marsh are rotation-level players. 

The bottom line is, Britt, Wooten, and McClain are locks for big roles next year, and all three will play a lot this year. If Harris, Marsh, Pappoe or other signees can provide depth, we're good. 

It's a bit like Safety. That was a real danger position after last season. Then, Dinson and Thomas stepped up their game, and Monday/Sherwood came in like gangbusters. Now, it looks like a team strength going into next year. Generally, that wouldn't be true with only four guys, but with those four guys, it is. Roster decisions are not made in a vacuum. With those  five LBs coming back next year, the pressure on the position is less than you'd expect.

17 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

As a general statement, I agree with Mikey's premise. There are 2-3 LB positions and a fairly high wash out rate for LBs between HS and college (it seems to be a difficult position to project, especially as coverage becomes a bigger and bigger part of playing the position). For that reason, it's best to sign 3-4 guys each year to fill the 2-3 positions. That gives you wiggle room to deal with guys not panning out.

However, I also don't think roster decisions are made in a vacuum. We've hit at an inordinately high % lately at that position. Usually, you'd say signing one, two, and three LBs in successive classes, respectively, is undersigning, which will create an issue. Usually. But if those guys are KJ Britt, Chandler Wooten, Zacoby McClain, Michael Harris, and Josh Marsh, and the coaches feel REALLY good about three of them and good about the other two... well, now you have a different outlook on the necessity of signing a big class. I think it's a non-issue because Mikey is saying "Sign three this year" and the coaching staff is saying "We will sign three this year" so they actually agree, but even if we add Owen Pappoe and two projects, I still think we're okay next year if any two of Pappoe, Harris, and Marsh are rotation-level players. 

The bottom line is, Britt, Wooten, and McClain are locks for big roles next year, and all three will play a lot this year. If Harris, Marsh, Pappoe or other signees can provide depth, we're good. 

It's a bit like Safety. That was a real danger position after last season. Then, Dinson and Thomas stepped up their game, and Monday/Sherwood came in like gangbusters. Now, it looks like a team strength going into next year. Generally, that wouldn't be true with only four guys, but with those four guys, it is. Roster decisions are not made in a vacuum. With those  five LBs coming back next year, the pressure on the position is less than you'd expect.

All true and an excellent post. 

But, TWill still sucks

Regardless of numbers and such we should always sign 2-3 LBs.  They fill such an important role in the base defense and on special teams.  I’m not so much worried about their weight coming out of high either but it would be nice to grab a couple 6-2 6-3 type backers with length.  That can also cover and stuff the run.  You know like all the other teams want as well.

1 hour ago, fredst said:

and the coaching staff is saying "We will sign three this year" so they actually agree, but even if we add Owen Pappoe and two projects,

The only part of your post I disagree with, is that we Can afford to sin projects. Bama, UGA, and increasingly TAMU are signing top 5 level classes. To keep pace, we need maximum top talent that are as developed as possible when they arrive on campus. 

18 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

The only part of your post I disagree with, is that we Can afford to sin projects. Bama, UGA, and increasingly TAMU are signing top 5 level classes. To keep pace, we need maximum top talent that are as developed as possible when they arrive on campus. 

I've got to let you credit @mcgufcm for the post you were quoting. Thanks though ?

Archived