CorchJay's Top 8 RB (available/possible)

corchjay

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

What is Steele Chambers rating?

Hardness level 8, volume 63 cubic feet. Oh, wait......

5 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

My rating for Chambers would be a 93.  Which would put him 3rd in my ratings.

He’s very physical and would give us a legit big back.  However, he is committed to another school so... have to see how it plays out

After looking at Richards’ film again...looks like he’d be a great get at RB but even better at safety-man, he lays some licks in those highlights. Either way, would be great to somehow get him interested in us and away from the ‘Canes. Sigh....

On 8/9/2018 at 7:17 PM, The Plainsman said:

His actual rating can be found with a simple Google search. Coach gave his rating above.

9 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

What is a simple Google search?  SGS?  

“Steele Chambers”. The first link that pops up this is his 247 profile. Click on it and there’s his rating 

I don’t have much confidence at all in our 2019 RB recruiting.  However with our stable of youth at the position, I think we can afford a whiff this year IF and only IF we hit a homerun next year. 

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I don’t have much confidence at all in our 2019 RB recruiting.  However with our stable of youth at the position, I think we can afford a whiff this year IF and only IF we hit a homerun next year. 

A whiff this year means that next year you are a couple injuries away from not having the back needed to have a successful season.  We can't just take a year off at this position because we are not recruiting the position at a high level right now.

4 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

change is a 'must' here.   

Lots of things can change to make this riddle go away, we only need one significant change or maybe a whole new philosophical change.  I don't care, but let's fix this.

I know this has been debated to the point of ad nauseam.  

@NorthGATiger

I agree. We shouldn’t “take the year off”.  But we may have to make the decision to either take a major risk on a recruit or wait and use the “we didn’t take anyone last year, you are the man” technique with 2020 recruits.  

As for being thin at RB in 2019, we’ll have SR Kam Martin (if he has a good enough year to go pro, that could change our 2019 RB recruiting), and Sophmores Whitlow, Asa, and Worm along with guys like HJ and DB who could get carries if necessary.  It’s not ideal, but not that bad either.  That’s 4 solid options + a couple of contingency plans in case the worst happens.

@Beaker

I completely agree with what you said.  We have to change how we recruit RBs and we have debated that topic to death on this board.  But the fact that change needs to take place isn’t debatable.  

On August 11, 2018 at 7:50 AM, ellitor said:

“Steele Chambers”. The first link that pops up this is his 247 profile. Click on it and there’s his rating 

I was kidding E..     Dang.   

23 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

we are not recruiting the position at a high level right now.

This is heavily false.  We have been Bringing in top 15 running backs in nearly every class since Gus has been here. The true statement would be we are not recruiting  The position  at an elite level. Recruiting here has been high but not  elite.

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

I was kidding E..     Dang.   

Yellow font or emoji. I am sarcasm impaired remember.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

This is heavily false.  We have been Bringing in top 15 running backs in nearly every class since Gus has been here. The true statement would be we are not recruiting  The position  at an elite level. Recruiting here has been high but not  elite.

High, Elite, Potato. Potatoe.  The kids we are recruiting that have been going to our rivals have been averaging over a yard more per carry than our fall back guys.  I call resorting to your 3rd or fourth backs every year not recruiting at a high level.  Is Devan Barrett a high level back?  Malik Miller?  My point was that we can't have years where we take a Miller or Barrett and hope for next year.  That gets you in trouble.  Pettway was a blessing in 2016.

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Is Devan Barrett a high level back?  Malik Miller?  My point was that we can't have years where we take a Miller or Barrett and hope for next year. 

Malik and Devan are two vastly different situations. If I’m remembering correctly we put out a couple offers (Elijah Holyfield was our miss in this class) in the 16 class but Malik was our guy. Devan Barrett was sought after by all of our rivals and after many different D1 programs but we landed him and he was our #2 guy behind probably Cam Akers. There was no way we were landing him. Malik isn’t exactly what you’d call a “high level back” but Devan is. He is just being utilized in a different role here. I think you pick and choose a lot of different scenarios and try to morph them into what you want them to be from time to time. 

7 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Malik and Devan are two vastly different situations. If I’m remembering correctly we put out a couple offers (Elijah Holyfield was our miss in this class) in the 16 class but Malik was our guy. Devan Barrett was sought after by all of our rivals and after many different D1 programs but we landed him and he was our #2 guy behind probably Cam Akers. There was no way we were landing him. Malik isn’t exactly what you’d call a “high level back” but Devan is. He is just being utilized in a different role here. I think you pick and choose a lot of different scenarios and try to morph them into what you want them to be from time to time. 

I'm not morphing anything.  Look I don't get paid millions of dollars to run the program.  I simply stated that you can't have an off year with no RB's signed when you are not recruiting at a high level.  Recruiting at a high level also means going after kids that fit your system.  I get it that some don't work out.  That is the nature of the game but when your top pick goes to WR after catching a few screen passes and only running the ball 13 times then that to me is a miss.

you put that guy at wr to do things nobody else can do because you have three guys at rb that can do that job. We will be fine at rb and importantly all of them will be back next year as well. Rb is not our biggest weakness.

1 hour ago, auol72 said:

you put that guy at wr to do things nobody else can do because you have three guys at rb that can do that job. We will be fine at rb and importantly all of them will be back next year as well. Rb is not our biggest weakness.

He was moved to WR the second the season was over.

There isn't much he can do at WR that the already loaded WR position group can't do.

We thought Jovon was coming back.  We hoped Pettway had his life and priorities in order.  We thought Roc Thomas was going to be the next Caddy.

Once again, the only thing I posted was that we can't miss on guys and skip a year.  The guys we target need to be guys that fit the system for what we do in the running game.  

i am sorry you think that but we do not have a healthy wr that can run the speed sweep the way Barrett can. We moved him to wr when Eli Stove got hurt. Otherwise Eli would be running it and probably not Barrett.

Barrett might actually be better at it than Eli. Not saying it's likely, but it's entirely possible. 

But we really do need to ask why we aren't hitting on our top targets the last couple years and why no top guys are even giving us the time of day in this cycle. 

i am not going to look it up but Worm was not a fall back take. He was somebody the staff wanted and when you get to see him play you will know why. Asa was not at the top of the board but he was also not a 3 star fallback guy. Initially they were concerned about his physicall toughness but as his senior season progressed that was dispedlled. He had over 20 d-1 offers so if he was a fallback because we missed it was a heck of a fall back. We will not lose a single rb from this team for next year barring some horrible injury. That makes recruiting some big time guys harder.

1 minute ago, auol72 said:

i am not going to look it up but Worm was not a fall back take. He was somebody the staff wanted and when you get to see him play you will know why. Asa was not at the top of the board but he was also not a 3 star fallback guy. Initially they were concerned about his physicall toughness but as his senior season progressed that was dispedlled. He had over 20 d-1 offers so if he was a fallback because we missed it was a heck of a fall back. We will not lose a single rb from this team for next year barring some horrible injury. That makes recruiting some big time guys harder.

Oh, you're talking to one of the charter members of the Worm Fan Club. Optimistic about AMart (and KMart). But we did go big for Master Teague, who would be a monster in this offense, and didn't get him. There have been some others. And it doesn't help that these guys, like Emery, are going to places like uga "so they can share the backfield with other 5* guys" (don't remember his exact words). LSU seems to be good for a Guice or a Fournette every season, bama obviously has their never ending train of 5*s and 1st rounders... 

Seriously. How come we can get WRs like NCM, Kyle Davis, Seth Williams and George Pickens but not a top 5 RB? Like, how could that be possible in any cycle? 

It's not really a question of whether or not we're good enough. It's just a question of why aren't we doing better. And there are a lot of reasons, but they don't seem as strong as the reasons why we *should* be locking in an elite guy every cycle. 

6 hours ago, auol72 said:

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, you're talking to one of the charter members of the Worm Fan Club. Optimistic about AMart (and KMart). But we did go big for Master Teague, who would be a monster in this offense, and didn't get him. There have been some others. And it doesn't help that these guys, like Emery, are going to places like uga "so they can share the backfield with other 5* guys" (don't remember his exact words). LSU seems to be good for a Guice or a Fournette every season, bama obviously has their never ending train of 5*s and 1st rounders... 

Seriously. How come we can get WRs like NCM, Kyle Davis, Seth Williams and George Pickens but not a top 5 RB? Like, how could that be possible in any cycle? 

It's not really a question of whether or not we're good enough. It's just a question of why aren't we doing better. And there are a lot of reasons, but they don't seem as strong as the reasons why we *should* be locking in an elite guy every cycle. 

And just to piggy back....which I don't normally do this & I wont do this again, however I get sick and tired of people making it seem like Worm wasn't highly recruited by AU and that he is some kid that just committed to commit to AU because he had no where else to go. Worm held well  over 25 offers from D-1 schools.... HE CHOSE AU! what people don't know is that Worm's offer came straight from Coach G...... Here's how Worm was recruited,  Crime Dog was there at the time & saw Worm practicing. He like what he saw and instantly he hit Coach G up and told him about him. Coach G immediately looked him up and watched his film. Coach G called back and personally offered him, himself. if people are giving accurate stories that they get from the inside, so they say, they will know that EVERY coach on that team knows, Worm is known as Gus guy. That's the intel and that's why I ignore all ignorant comments when it relates to my son lol. Sometimes I feel like people disrespect the fact that he and Joey Gatewood were the longest recruits committed  for this 2018 class and NEVER wavered. If nobody ever believed in Worm, Coach G did and he expressed that when he explained why he recruited him, which was because I liked how he played with a chip on his shoulder, wasn't afraid of anything and the knows the game of football.  

Archived