CorchJay's Top 8 RB (available/possible)

corchjay

13 minutes ago, fredst said:

I've got to let you credit @mcgufcm for the post you were quoting. Thanks though ?

My bad @fredst Thanks for the correction. WDE!!!

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

It’s almost as if you and I and everyone else on this forum haven’t explained multiple times that we typically only play 2 LBers...

It doesn't matter. Once Mikey gets a thought in his mind he sticks with it come hell or high water. It's not a knock on him. That's just who he is.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

It doesn't matter. Once Mikey gets a thought in his mind he sticks with it come hell or high water. It's not a knock on him. That's just who he is.

Mikey’s consistent. 

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

So did Zakoby

Did you see R Jubinor make a sack ( I know he isn't a LB, but it was fun to see him play his lane and make the play )?  Very fun

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

Those who fail to heed history are doomed to repeat it. If I offer free tickets on a train back to the Auburn defenses of 2011-2014 I don't think I'll get any takers on that ride. At the root of those problems was low numbers and low quality of LB recruits. As @corchjay noted above, LB's, even reserves, are a key to good tackling on special teams, an area where we were particularly weak last season.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Those who fail to heed history are doomed to repeat it

While that's true it doesn't mean what happened in the past will happen in the future other than in death & taxes. For us T-Will has been a game changer in all 3 areas of LB roster management for us: Recruiting, Retention, & Development.  Given we use 2 LB sets most of the time there's no need IMO to have more than 8 or 9 schollied LBs on roster. Looking at the roster now we have 9 schollied LBs. 3 are graduating & Darrell Williams could turn pro as quickly as he is developing. 3 is a must in the class & if D-Will turns pro then 4 may be preferred if the staff wants to be 3 deep  for the 3rd LB position even though we don't use 3 LB sets much.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, AUsince72 said:

Thank you E.

So, we'd much rather AU signs 96's vs 87's...

are we talking wines.....or football players  ?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

3 is a must in the class & if D-Will turns pro then 4 may be preferred if the staff wants to be 3 deep  for the 3rd LB position even though we don't use 3 LB sets much.

D. Williams is a senior so he's gone anyway. We lose three seniors and I'm assuming redshirt Jr. McBryde won't be back because of the neck injury.  That finishes off Muschamp's 5 LB class of 2015. The roster lists nine scholarship LB's right now. Subtract those four and we'll have only 5 next season, six with our one commit.. That's getting too slim.

Now, I agree with you and @mcgufcm that with the good development of Britt and Wooten, three quality prospects is plenty in this class. The problem is I see one committed and not much on the horizon. Our targets have been slip-slidin' away faster than you can say Simon and Garfunkle.

24 minutes ago, Mikey said:

slip-slidin' away faster than you can say Simon and Garfunkle

That was just Paul. Art can't take any credit for that. Also, probably Top 5 best pop songs ever written. And, I would also like to see two more quality LB commits join Mr. Pappoe

8 minutes ago, fredst said:

That was just Paul. Art can't take any credit for that.

I'm no expert on music, but on my "Concert in Central Park" album, they perform the song together. Beyond that, I know nothing. :)

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

D. Williams is a senior so he's gone anyway. We lose three seniors and I'm assuming redshirt Jr. McBryde won't be back because of the neck injury.  That finishes off Muschamp's 5 LB class of 2015. The roster lists nine scholarship LB's right now. Subtract those four and we'll have only 5 next season, six with our one commit.. That's getting too slim.

Now, I agree with you and @mcgufcm that with the good development of Britt and Wooten, three quality prospects is plenty in this class. The problem is I see one committed and not much on the horizon. Our targets have been slip-slidin' away faster than you can say Simon and Garfunkle.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=Highschool&Position=ILB

Not a lot of them out there and most look to be taken.....but I have always been of the view that you have to grow your own to some extent. 

So I hate it when people whine about threads going OT without offering anything substantive or informative to get them back on track, so I created a linebacker thread if we want to pick it up over there. 

I wonder if Joiner having some success in the coming weeks 1) will happen and 2) would adjust the staff's priorities on Tye Edwards. I realize they might not have anything in common other than being tall for RBs and I try to avoid assumptions based on physical attributes, but dangit, some very tuned in guys around here are sold on Edwards but Gus is hung up on someone else's prom date and I would just love to get this guy in the fold and get back to yelling at each other about linebackers and OLs in other threads. 

any idea if Edwards is coming to Auburn for a visit soon?

Is there a visitor thread out there for this season?   I am sure I am overlooking it.

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Is there a visitor thread out there for this season?   I am sure I am overlooking it.

Ok, I found the post about last weekend.    Maybe a visitor thread would be convenient for the remaining of the season (for those who know such)?

14 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Ok, I found the post about last weekend.    Maybe a visitor thread would be convenient for the remaining of the season (for those who know such)?

E usually does one for every home game for which there will be a notable list, I believe. 

I would say the success of the current freshmen (Whitlow, Shivers, Joiner, and Martin) makes it less likely that we offer Tye Edwards or Tahj Gary until we find out what Cain and/or Richards are going to do. For my money, there is less pressure on this position than there was four weeks ago so we can afford to be patient.

40 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Is there a visitor thread out there for this season?

We don't do visit list threads for the entire season. We do them for conference games & the years we have a p5 nonconference home game.

46 minutes ago, Beaker said:

No word.

12 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

I would say the success of the current freshmen (Whitlow, Shivers, Joiner, and Martin) makes it less likely that we offer Tye Edwards or Tahj Gary until we find out what Cain and/or Richards are going to do. For my money, there is less pressure on this position than there was four weeks ago so we can afford to be patient.

I wouldn't add Asa in that success group yet. As WDE & Bird have pointed out he is having attitude & work ethic issues. Plus he has a case of the Malik Millers.

Fair enough, but he may have the highest ceiling of any of those guys. Plus, his coach thought enough of him to protect his feelings post-game. Gus doesn't do the whole "he's very talented and will learn" bit unless he thinks Martin is part of the future.

The point remains, we have at least three freshman RBs that have had success early this year, and coaches are VERY high on two of them (Whitlow and Shivers).

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I wonder if Joiner having some success in the coming weeks 1) will happen and 2) would adjust the staff's priorities on Tye Edwards. I realize they might not have anything in common other than being tall for RBs and I try to avoid assumptions based on physical attributes, but dangit, some very tuned in guys around here are sold on Edwards but Gus is hung up on someone else's prom date and I would just love to get this guy in the fold and get back to yelling at each other about linebackers and OLs in other threads. 

No. What will have an effect on us taking Tye is Horton convincing Gus to go after him after Gus finally concedes Cain to LSU & Richards plus McIntosh to Miami. One intriguing to note on Tye though is no team right now is recruiting him as a RB despite his film & early season numbers.

1 minute ago, mcgufcm said:

Plus, his coach thought enough of him to protect his feelings post-game. Gus doesn't do the whole "he's very talented and will learn" bit unless he thinks Martin is part of the future.

I don't know about that. You can't trust a thing Gus says to the media unless he backs it up at some point.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

No. What will have an effect on us taking Tye is Horton convincing Gus to go after him after Gus finally concedes Cain to LSU & Richards plus McIntosh to Miami. One intriguing to note on Tye though is no team right now is recruiting him as a RB despite his film & early season numbers.

Intriguing, indeed!

As for Joiner, I just didn't know if his play might make Horton's sales pitch any easier. 

I am the one who mentioned Joiner played more physically than many expected. All the RB's looked good against Alabama State and we were all thrilled by that. This weeks game will tell us a lot more. First whether Gus/Chip trusts them enough to actually give them some carries against a top SEC defense and two assuming they get enough carries to analyze that we all still have the warm and fuzzy feeling about them.  This game should also give us a good gauge on how much the O-Line has gelled.

I loved the Alabama State game but lets not get to carried away about the running game until we see a solid performance against a good defense. That will go a long way in helping Gus decide if we need to wait for the studs or take chance on one of the other guys.

Archived