2018 Fall Camp - Scrimmage 1

RunInRed

The CA injury is concerning. I am glad he is ok. The problem is how long will he held out of contact? Did the coaches get enough film on him before the injury to make a decision about him playing/starting at RG? If he is out even a week how does that affect Horton and his position work at center?  To many questions left to be answered on the OL. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I just rewatched that... I feel sick man. That Stidham fumble was huge. We had UGA on their heels. We score a TD there and I think Auburn cleans house again.. the blocked FG was out last shot and then we deflated. Oh well. I bet UGA fans were saying the same thing after we blasted them.

Not just that fumble but the KJ fumble in the second half as well.  I think the score was 13-7 at that point.  

Any word how Kmart did?  Heard Asa and Boobie both had some good runs but didn’t hear anything about Kam.

Glad to hear that Willis’s lone Int was due to a great play by Myers  

Sal is my anti-hero - not mancrush level but he works just as hard as anybody AND had to endure playing for the Fighting Artichokes (true fact) in h.s.?

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Not just that fumble but the KJ fumble in the second half as well.  I think the score was 13-7 at that point.  

Yeah that one sealed the deal. I feel like we came to play, but KJ wasn’t himself and the uncharacteristic turnovers we had. Special teams was a lapse as well. Hell it was 13-7 entering the 4th quarter. 

Hopefully the work being put in this offseason will help us be able to put it all together. I hate getting hyped but I can’t help it. The first fall scrimmage has me jacked up. Haha

49 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Any word how Kmart did?  Heard Asa and Boobie both had some good runs but didn’t hear anything about Kam.  

Didn’t hear anything specific about him, but since everybody knows he can run well, the news that he didn’t fumble or get injured was probably the best news we could hope for.

45 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

video of Meyers' pick

Good lord he almost pops his head off at the end of that. Watch him roll over and watch his head. Outch...

28 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Good lord he almost pops his head off at the end of that. Watch him roll over and watch his head. Outch...

Thats why you do so many neck drills..... nice play on the ball by the db there.

As for the SEC C-ship game vid, some things I came away with.

- Roquan Smith was the best LB in the nation...if not for him UGA gets another loss to the Tigers from the Plains.

_ We HAVE to change our snap counts up more. Other teams still seem to be teeing off on the blitzes vs our O

- UGA's D just got more aggressive as the game went on, a bit better blocking on the O-line and using that aggressiveness against hem in our play-calling will be the key to keeping their D at bay this year. We did it very well vs bammer, just need to pick it up against the pups.

-  We need more quick hitters against these aggressive D's to throw off their timing. Some quick traps will have them thinking harder before fully committing to so many blitzes.

-  Our quick outs (WR screens) do not work...at all. They fool no one, we don't run them very well, (blocking non-existent or too slow to help the receiver, etc). I know we need something to keep the D split out and to keep them from crashing the outsides, but this isn't working for us. Change it up to mis-direction quick hitters to the opposite side or fake the out and hit the TE on that side for quick outs after a pump fake to the WR on the corner. Make them have to respect the inside pass play on that set and the coverage will have to back off another step or two.

- Stidham did a fine job of running in that game vs UGA. After this rewatch I like his ability to convert on broken plays this season even more.

That is all

(PS I'll believe Canella actually caught that ball and didn't just pick up a fumble when I see it with my own eyes..LOL....I'm rooting for you Sal...don't let me down!!!)

more detail on the first scrimmage. and thanks WFE12 for the posts. glad folks are not making remarks about al.com this year.

Auburn's first fall scrimmage features 3 INTs, big plays by freshmen WRs, OL injury

Updated Aug 9, 3:17 PM; Posted Aug 9, 2:50 PM

Auburn quarterback Malik Willis threw a touchdown and interception during Thursday's scrimmage. (Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics)

5 shares

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

Three interceptions, including a one-handed snag by Jayaughn Myers, a few explosive pass plays by freshmen receivers and an injury highlighted Auburn's 100-play opening scrimmage of fall camp on Thursday.

The Tigers split the reps between the first, second and third-teams "equally," according to Gus Malzahn, with Jarrett Stidham taking all the first-team reps, Malik Willis getting most of the second-team reps with Joey Gatewood, who was live, taking some others before splitting time with Cord Sandberg on the third team.

Kam Martin led the running back rotation that saw JaTarvious Whitlow and Asa Martin each break runs over 10 yards, according to linebacker Deshaun Davis, and there were no fumbles.

"Defense, one thing we've been talking about is creating more turnovers and I believe they got three turnovers today," Malzahn said. "Made some real good plays on the ball in the secondary.

"Offense had some explosive plays. Real pleased with some adjustments that the receivers made in 1-on-1 situations to make some plays, and some pretty good throws with that. Overall, I felt like it was very productive. This was one that we wanted to get information specific on the young guys, and then also the older guys to see them stepping up. We let our ones go quite a bit, trying to get those guys in some playing shape as far as that goes."

Willis was intercepted by Myers on a spectacular one-handed interception, but later connected with freshman Seth Williams on a slant that the freshman wide receiver broke for an over 60-yard touchdown, according to a source.

Malzahn said Myers' interception was "probably the best play of the scrimmage. The other two interceptions were by John Broussard Jr. and Traivon Leonard, according to Davis.

"One was a great play," Malzahn said. "The other one was a really good play and the other one was not a real good decision by our quarterback."

It was Stidham's most significant action of the offseason after he was limited during spring practice due to shoulder surgery.

Malzahn said the offense felt different with the returning starter back, as expected.

Auburn quarterback Jarrett Stidham recaps first fall scrimmage

"I thought I did alright," said Stidham, who did not throw one of the other two interceptions. "Obviously some things to work on, but I thought for the first day collectively as a unit, I thought we did some really good things. We made some really positive plays down the field. We're trying to see these running backs, and they took care of the ball, so that was really good to see. I thought the offensive line played really well, so it was really good. Obviously, our defense is our defense, and they're going to be lights out just about every single day, so it was good to go up against them finally and get some good reps."

Davis said Stidham didn't look rusty at all and made several back-shoulder throws, including one to freshman Shedrick Jackson.

"If you could see the scrimmage, you would think he's practiced every day since the spring," Davis said. "They made some big throws down field, protecting the back shoulder. He was very accurate today. He looked good in the pocket.

"I think we probably would've sacked him a couple times, but the coaches they were letting him get some downfield throws. When they were able to get the ball off, they were able to complete it. So hats off to those guys. On defense, we've got to play better, but the back-shoulder throw in college football -- or any level of football -- is a hard throw to defend, and Jarrett can throw it perfectly."

Stidham said freshmen receivers Matthew Hill and Anthony Schwartz had a tunnel screen and a 20-yard end-around run, respectively.

Redshirt-freshman offensive lineman Calvin Ashley suffered a neck injury, was taken to the hospital for precautionary measures and was later discharged.

Malzahn said safety Jeremiah Dinson scrimmaged but was in a non-contact jersey and cornerback Noah Igbinoghene and receiver Marquis McClain, who were both in orange non-contact jerseys on Tuesday, were held out due to undisclosed injuries and are day-to-day.

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @JamesCrepea.

11 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

The CA injury is concerning. I am glad he is ok. The problem is how long will he held out of contact? Did the coaches get enough film on him before the injury to make a decision about him playing/starting at RG? If he is out even a week how does that affect Horton and his position work at center?  To many questions left to be answered on the OL. 

Yep. The OL is the only thing that can derail this team (other than injuries). It looks like they will need more time. 

16 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Wait... Hold up... This implies that he caught the ball!  hahaha

Photo Shop...

16 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Wait... Hold up... This implies that he caught the ball!  hahaha

Could have been a jet sweep... ? Who knows.. ??????

21 minutes ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Traivon Lennord will be a starter next season, kid has talent and really big frame.

Really good chance.  He has really impressed me.

12 hours ago, WFE12 said:

video of Meyers' pick

I like seeing Meyers actually Turing his head and looking for the ball. That's something our DBs haven't done in a minute. 

By all accounts, my man crush (CCL) is showing some influence over the run first offense we have been running.  Time will tell if we see it implemented against Washington.  I’m optimistic that we will.

18 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Wait what ? That's impossible. I mean the next thing you're going to tell me is we ran a seam route to a TE.

You will hear me cheering from Baldwin County, AL if I see that implemented!!

18 hours ago, AUTimbo said:

Our quick outs (WR screens) do not work...at all. They fool no one

Yes they do. In the IB, Ryan Davis had 11 receptions for 139 yards. The majority of them were WR screens. Slayton also had a 23-yard gain on a screen pass on the 1st TD drive. 

Davis also had a 32-yard TD screen pass against Georgia at JH. 

It became such a successful staple in the last half of the regular season, Georgia scouted it well for the SECCG.

11 minutes ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

Yes they do. In the IB, Ryan Davis had 11 receptions for 139 yards. The majority of them were WR screens. Slayton also had a 23-yard gain on a screen pass on the 1st TD drive. 

Davis also had a 32-yard TD screen pass against Georgia at JH. 

It became such a successful staple in the last half of the regular season, Georgia scouted it well for the SECCG.

Casey Dunn's ability to get out and block on those screens was critical. More of that please in 2018 outta whoever plays Center.

1 hour ago, Scotty2Hotty said:

This is when we should've hit them with the fake wr screen-n-go

screen-package.gif

Archived