One of the bravest Men I have ever known....George Wiley Starks

I met Dr. Starks thru my wife who is the Director for the Dental Society of Orlando. What this man and his crew went through was an amazing story and the book written about their story is unbelievable I highly recommend it. It really should be made into a movie. He was very humble and had a great sense of humor. The wife and I went to Costco about month ago for his book signing.

RIP Dr. Starks

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-ed-orlando-world-war-ii-hero-dies-20180808-story.html#

On Sunday, July 29, around noon, another American hero from the Greatest Generation “slipped the surly bonds of Earth” one final time. World War II B-17 pilot George Wiley Starks, who pinned on his airman’s wings when he was just 19 years old, passed away at age 94 at his home in Orlando surrounded by many from his abundant family and friends. The quietness of the hour belied the amazing and “full-throttled” life he led.

I heard about George Starks four years ago after my husband returned from a fishing trip. Between casts, fishing buddy Lou Pesce had related how he heard their mutual friend, George, share his WWII experiences at a local dental meeting. All three men knew each other since they had practiced dentistry in and around the Orlando area for many years. Aware I was searching for my next military writing project, my husband suggested I check out this story.

ADVERTISING
Raised in Live Oak, George was known throughout the small northern Florida town as one of the most personable and charming teens in the county. Drum major, president of the drama club … he was a natural-born leader in so many ways. Days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, George hitchhiked a ride to Orlando to join the fight. Within a few months, the young man found himself in Pyote, Texas, training with the Army Air Corps to fly a B-17.

By late 1943, he and his assigned crew of nine men — average age 22 — were flying training missions out of Podington, England. During their first bombing mission, George’s plane was shot down by a German FW-190. So began a terrifying segment in the lives of each of the crew. George and all the others parachuted into Nazi-occupied France and spent the next several harrowing weeks dodging Germans, aided by French villagers.

Finally, George met a member of the French Resistance, who helped him during the final weeks of his 300-mile trek into Switzerland. This journey was filled with terrifying moments, including passage through five German roadblocks while George was hidden on the rear floorboard of a car.

His innate sense of honor and commitment motivated him to pledge two things after his narrow escape: First, he would do whatever he could to keep in touch with his crew members as long as he lived; second, if at all possible, he would one day return to Europe to locate as many brave souls as he could to thank them for risking their lives to save his. George lived long enough to accomplish both goals.

But George’s life did not slow down when he returned stateside after VE-Day. He went to dental school, yet stayed in the Reserves. Four years later, he was called to active duty once more and headed to Korea, where he served as chief of Dental Services for the 121st evacuation hospital. For the next 21 months, he operated on facial wounds in areas of highest casualties during the Korean War.

Back home, his wife gave birth to their first child, whom George did not see until nearly two years later.

Upon returning to Orlando from duty in his second war, George established a private dental practice that lasted 28 years. After retiring, he taught at the University of Florida College of Dentistry for another 16 years, and then served on the State Board of Dental Examiners for eight years.

Along the way he made good on the commitment to himself after returning home from WWII. He kept in touch with his crew through the years, even hosting reunions at his home where the “Coffin Corner Boys” — his crew’s nickname — pored over old European maps and shared stories.

Perhaps most memorable of all, he returned to France five times to locate nearly every brave soul who had helped him and his crew during those tumultuous times of evade and escape. With the help of Orlando’s then-mayor Carl Langford, these French heroes were given keys to the city and made honorary citizens of Orlando.

George had traveled the world, in times of war and times of peace. His life was filled with remarkable events of historic proportions.

Several years ago, I made a commitment of my own — to spend my days recording as many of these veterans’ stories as possible. But it didn’t occur to me then that there would be such a bittersweet part of the process.

It is hard to put into words how much I will miss George — his humor, his courage, his charm, but perhaps most of all, his clarity of vision about the world around him. He was a gentleman and a patriot, a true American treasure.

Carole Engle Avriett of Winter Garden is author of the recently released book “Coffin Corner Boys: One Bomber, Ten Men, and Their Harrowing Escape from Nazi-Occupied France,” in which she records those spell-binding stories her friend shared around his dining-room table.

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Carole Engle Avriett of Winter Garden is author of the recently released book “Coffin Corner Boys: One Bomber, Ten Men, and Their Harrowing Escape from Nazi-Occupied France,” in which she records those spell-binding stories her friend shared around his dining-room table.

•  

Great stuff Golf. Not many of those guys left. Indeed special. The above books are on my list. Heard about them on the Preston Scott show out of Tallahassee the other morning. Did an interview with Carole I assume. I was to intrigued. All football fans need to learn where the term "coffin corner" was derived.  Brave men....and they where young.

13 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Great stuff Golf. Not many of those guys left. Indeed special. The above books are on my list. Heard about them on the Preston Scott show out of Tallahassee the other morning. Did an interview with Carole I assume. I was to intrigued. All football fans need to learn where the term "coffin corner" was derived.  Brave men....and they where young.

Dr Starks was the last one left from his crew.

Carole is a huge bammer fan is the only thing wrong her poor husband is a UTK fan grad.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Dr Starks was the last one left from his crew.

Carole is a huge bammer fan is the only thing wrong her poor husband is a UTK fan grad.

Thanks Golf. The stories these veterans can tell are incredible. Bigger  heroes the world has not known. I intend to check this book out. As some know on here my dad passed 2 weeks ago. Coincidentally he was  WWII vet, also 94 years old and died 2 days before Dr. Starks. Thanks again for sharing this. It was timely for me. 

I worked with a guy that flew the P-61 (Black Widow) in the war.  What a tough SOB, but he was my mentor the first few years after graduation.  I owe that man a lot, he was one of a kind and I have admired him ever since we met.  He passed several years ago, but I still have fond memories. 

Archived