Anonymous coach speaks on Auburn

WFE12

Scouting Reports: Anonymous Rival Coaches Dish on 20 of the Nation's Best Teams

Auburn

Auburn under coach Gus Malzahn is the epitome of SEC football: a great combination of power football combined with gadgets and trickery, simple concepts for explosive athletes. Facing Malzahn, you have to prepare for things that he did 10 years ago as an offensive coordinator, because you never know what he’s going to dig up. It actually waters down what you’re doing in a game because you’re spending time covering your bases and chasing ghosts. ...

There’s still a lot to be desired with quarterback Jarrett Stidham. Facing a rush, his eyes come down: He gets nervous because he doesn’t want to get hit. If you’re bringing pressure—or even if you act like you are—he’s going to see it and it’s going to affect him. People caught onto that at the end of the year. In its Peach Bowl win, UCF did a great job of pressuring him. ... The defense has a chance to be one of the best in the country. It’s very good up front: Middle linebacker Deshaun Davis is the leader of the group and Big Cat [defensive end Markaviest Bryant] really came on toward the end of the season. Even when Stidham and the offense are struggling, the defense will win games for them.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

The Most generic elementary observations...

And not completely accurate. Teams didn’t really figure us out late because the same problems that cost us the Clemson game cost us the SECCG and the Peach Bowl. UGA and Bama blitzed the fool out of us in November, and we handled it very well. And Stidham destroyed aTm when they tried to blitz so much that they quit blitzing. The bigger issues were defenses/injuries forcing us to be one dimensional in 3 of the losses and the OL not being able to pass protect well or consistently in obvious passing situations. Stidham did have some issues with dropping his eyes and feeling the pressure, but the criticism seems pretty weak to be aimed directly at him. 

Who was this anonymous coach?  They referenced "Big Cat really came on at the end"......who calls Bryant that other than his own coaches/fans?

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

Who was this anonymous coach?  They referenced "Big Cat really came on at the end"......who calls Bryant that other than his own coaches/fans?

True and Big Cat is probably Running 3rd team at Buck behind Coe and TD

Probably my biggest concern for 2018 is what was said about Stidham. With the questions at OL and Stidham's reaction to pressure, there's always a chance that any team AU plays can create havoc by finding ways to get pressure. It also seems that AU doesn't have much in the way of quick hits to make teams fear rushing 5, or sometimes 6 as well. I'm sure the coaches are well aware of all of this, we will just have to see if anything changes when the heat is on.

58 minutes ago, keesler said:

My guess is Kirby. He's praised the DL before. The Big Kat comment was interesting because he didn't see as much action or have the impact that TD did late in the season from what I remember.

11 hours ago, boomstick said:

And not completely accurate. Teams didn’t really figure us out late because the same problems that cost us the Clemson game cost us the SECCG and the Peach Bowl. UGA and Bama blitzed the fool out of us in November, and we handled it very well. And Stidham destroyed aTm when they tried to blitz so much that they quit blitzing. The bigger issues were defenses/injuries forcing us to be one dimensional in 3 of the losses and the OL not being able to pass protect well or consistently in obvious passing situations. Stidham did have some issues with dropping his eyes and feeling the pressure, but the criticism seems pretty weak to be aimed directly at him. 

Yeah, teams figured it out late in the season. Thats why we beat 2 number 1 teams - late in the season. Sounds more like a waterboy's comments than a coach's.

Just now, boisnumber1 said:

Yeah, teams figured it out late in the season. Thats why we beat 2 number 1 teams - late in the season. Sounds more like a waterboy's comments than a coach's.

That's kinda why I think it's Kirby. They're the only team we played twice and their second shot defensively at us was a marked improvement from the first. And it was a game where Stidham looked worse the second time around. So the idea that he was "figured out" by someone would fit UGA pretty well.  I still contend no one figured us out so much as we didn't have the run game to effectively balance our offense, not that some team found some schemes that magically stopped our offense. 

https://247sports.com/Article/Anonymous-rivals-praise-Gus-Malzahns-Auburn-tenure-120527085/

Auburn under coach Gus Malzahn is the epitome of SEC football: a great combination of power football combined with gadgets and trickery, simple concepts for explosive athletes,” an anonymous rival coach told Sports Illustrated. “Facing Malzahn, you have to prepare for things that he did 10 years ago as an offensive coordinator, because you never know what he’s going to dig up. It actually waters down what you’re doing in a game because you’re spending time covering your bases and chasing ghosts.”

It’s not all negative!

I don't think it's negative at all.  I think the criticism of Stidham is very valid--for last year. However, I expect him to be better this year. Stidham has a great arm, an NFL arm, and is very accurate.  It's easy to forget how little experience he has.  He must make better decisions this year, and learn to get rid of the ball quicker.  He should improve with more game experience. A lot of the sacks last year were on Stidham because he just held on to the ball too long.  I see him as a good NFL quarterback IF he improves in that area.  I believe he will, but we need to see it.  He must be more consistent for Auburn to contend this year.

Stidham wasn't the problem in the SECCG or the Peach Bowl.  KJ was hurt against Bammer and was not effective in the last 2 games.  Without KJ, we had no running game and became one dimensional.  When you face the quality defenses we faced,  90% of QB's would struggle.

51 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

So your telling me that a QB doesn't want to get hit?

It makes QBs nervous or at least that's the word on the street. 

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

So your telling me that a QB doesn't want to get hit?

My understanding is that Sean White liked to get a hit.

....oh get hit, not get A hit...

Sorry, nevermind...

18 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

My understanding is that Sean White liked to get a hit.

....oh get hit, not get A hit...

Sorry, nevermind...

And Jeff Burger liked to hit. Can't wait until 12 days to go on countdown. He is one of my all time favorites. 

28 minutes ago, gr82be said:

It makes QBs nervous or at least that's the word on the street. 

#teamgr82be

holy profile names Batman !

I thought you were talking to yourself for a second

Annonymous source sports reporting is cheesy. Against Clemson 2017 this "coach" may be right - most of Jarrett's 11 "sacks" were running out of bounds behind the line of scrimmage (vs our 11 "honk if you sacked Brody" faceplants). But by season's end he took risks against headhunting D's to gain some important yards - leading to his late sesson injury. Cheap shot by some wannabe.

Archived