2018 Depth Chart, Let's Talk

ValleyTiger

if Malik redshirted Auburn would have a complete mess at Qb next year. Rsoph Malik, Gatewood soph, Cord soph, Nix freshman.  With all the eligibility left I’d have to believe Auburn would lose one of these guys. It’s a great problem to have but I’d hate to see any of these guys leave.  If Malik doesn’t redshirt you’d have a junior Qb stepping up ever other year to take the reigns.  If Gatewood is Cam jr then he could blow everything I said up.

5 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Mark my word, McClain will be our de facto 1st string TE by Oct. 

Please tell me you have inside information, and are correct. 

On the same subject, has he eve been practicing at the position? 

7 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

Please tell me you have inside information, and are correct. 

On the same subject, has he eve been practicing at the position? 

We don't practice the position, at all. Haven't you been paying attention? 

27 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

We don't practice the position, at all. Haven't you been paying attention? 

My bad!

I heard we threw a slant yesterday, so I figured anything may be possible now.

59 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

if Malik redshirted Auburn would have a complete mess at Qb next year. Rsoph Malik, Gatewood soph, Cord soph, Nix freshman.  With all the eligibility left I’d have to believe Auburn would lose one of these guys. It’s a great problem to have but I’d hate to see any of these guys leave.  If Malik doesn’t redshirt you’d have a junior Qb stepping up ever other year to take the reigns.  If Gatewood is Cam jr then he could blow everything I said up.

I get what you're saying and how it would make things seem muddy but I like the prospect of each player being the absolute best they can be and I'm a believer in that having an extra year in the program helps accomplish this. If someone transfers because they can't beat out another guy I'm ok with that. I'm not big on having a predetermined set order ahead of time for QBs to be the future here because we, more than anyone, know that our QB projections almost never go to plan. Back in 2013 we would've thought Sean White would be leading us for his senior campaign this year and instead we have a guy this board had not even mentioned once during his HS career leading our team.

But it's most likely that Cord and Gatewood would be RS-freshman next year as they will likely play in <4 games this year. So we will have 3 freshman QBs. One guy who will have played in a max of 4 games over 6 years, one guy who's a project, and then Bo Nix all as freshman/RS freshman. Its likely not all would stay at AU but it'd be one hell of a competition and the best man would win if the coaches are doing evaluation in practice properly. 

9 hours ago, corchjay said:

Coe #1 at Buck for now.  

Hill is probably 2 behind Slayton 

Barrett/Canella 2 behind R. Davis

A. Marshall is probably #1 at punter right now 

I thought that Sippos was way ahead of the rest of the pack and would easily win the punting job.

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Sometimes we overthink things.....

On 8/10/2018 at 9:51 AM, ValleyTiger said:

Open discussion about the depth chart. I'll give you mine as it stands, and let's talk.

Looks good.

My guess on 11 starters O:

QB - JS

RB - Kam

HB - Cox

OL - Tega, Harrell, Kim, Horton, Driscoll

WR: Slayton, NCM, RD

My guess on 11 starters D:

DE: MD, Brown, Russell, Coe (replacing TM for now at Buck)

LB: Davis, Williams, MA

BC/Safety: Dean, Davis, Thomas, and Dinson

Not sure how often they will play 3 LBs though... 

Archived