Kicking game from the scrimmage

tigerman1186

I read where the kicking game was live during the scrimmage...did anyone hear how the field goal/extra point kickers do and what about the punting team with the Aussie 'Big Foot'???

Carlson 2.0 has been nearly perfect in fall camp. So I think we’re gonna be fine there.

Have not heard anything about how the punting went. Considering how poor we punted the ball last year, I would have hoped to have learned more from this scrimmage.

On 8/10/2018 at 10:27 AM, tigerman1186 said:

I read where the kicking game was live during the scrimmage...did anyone hear how the field goal/extra point kickers do and what about the punting team with the Aussie 'Big Foot'???

Although there was a reported 70 yard punt on Siposs' first day of practice, I saw someone on this site say if the season started tomorrow Aiden Marshall would start at punter. Which was surprising to say the least. 

On 8/11/2018 at 10:15 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

Although there was a reported 70 yard punt on Siposs' first day of practice, I saw someone on this site say if the season started tomorrow Aiden Marshall would start at punter. Which was surprising to say the least. 

I hope this is wrong. 

15 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I hope this is wrong. 

It's a different game and a different ball....might take him some time to get adjusted to American football.  

28 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I hope this is wrong. 

If he’s the best punter then why would you want it to be wrong? Word is that he has improved and gotten bigger.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

It's a different game and a different ball....might take him some time to get adjusted to American football.  

64, my understanding is he left Rugby a good while ago, and he since has been working with the Aussy company that prepares Rugby players to kick American footballs. He has been kicking American footballs for a good while now. This company works to get these kids scholarships to US schools. The kickers that move to the US from this program have had terrific success.

1 hour ago, JFDTiger80 said:

64, my understanding is he left Rugby a good while ago, and he since has been working with the Aussy company that prepares Rugby players to kick American footballs. He has been kicking American footballs for a good while now. This company works to get these kids scholarships to US schools. The kickers that move to the US from this program have had terrific success.

Saw a vid from practice this past week and he looks pretty conventional in his style....none of the running kicks and low bounding punts.   He was getting them very high with back spin perhaps...not much bounce which is good in the corners or near the goal line. ..at least in what was on the minute or so that was available. 

Just saying someone kicked it 70 yards doesn’t tell you much.  A punter kicking 70 yard line drives would be a disaster unless he is accurate enough to kickit out of bounds every time.  Regardless of how far a punter can kick it he has to get enough hang time on it for the coverage to get there or good returners are going to be taking it to the house like that kid from LSU last year who cost us the game.   If we have someone who can consistently kick it 45-50 with enough hang time for the coverage to get there that would be outstanding.  

10 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Just saying someone kicked it 70 yards doesn’t tell you much.  A punter kicking 70 yard line drives would be a disaster unless he is accurate enough to kickit out of bounds every time.  Regardless of how far a punter can kick it he has to get enough hang time on it for the coverage to get there or good returners are going to be taking it to the house like that kid from LSU last year who cost us the game.   If we have someone who can consistently kick it 45-50 with enough hang time for the coverage to get there that would be outstanding.  

Line drive punts are killers...especially if they are only 40 yards or so where the return guy is likely to be.   As  noted, usually you can live with 40-45 yard punts if the ball is high and there is no return opportunity.  But nice to have a guy who could flip the field for you if necessary and we have not had that for several years....like bama and Miss State punters.....

Go watch Siposs practice putting. I'm not sure what a good hang time is, but he had them close to 5 seconds with punts over 50 yards consistently. He does some rollout punts as well. 

Edit: There is a thread with a video of him practicing. 

We have 2 punters getting the job done right now. Ill chuckle when Siposs first punt near midfield ends up being a 40 yard run...w/ a stiffarm. 

all of the video's I've seen of siposs, including the couple floating around when he was with Prokick in Australia, seems to be +/-5 seconds and 50 yards.  Almost identical to each other.  massive bombs.  i'd assume that he can "aim" his punts also, as directional kicking is paramount in Australia rules football.

the 32 nfl teams averaged from lowest 42.2 to highest 49.7 yards in 2017.

average hang time in nfil in 2014 was 4.44 seconds

as an aside ... i loved watching aussie rules fooball back in the day when espn was trying to fill air time.

13 hours ago, WaynesAUworld said:

Go watch Siposs practice putting. I'm not sure what a good hang time is, but he had them close to 5 seconds with punts over 50 yards consistently. He does some rollout punts as well. 

Edit: There is a thread with a video of him practicing. 

I noticed he is a 3 step punter.  Not sure how well that's going to work out getting punts off.  But, I don't coach punters so maybe that's normal now.

Archived