Maryland Football Culture: Toxic

WDE_OxPx_2010

Maryland Culture

"Over the past several weeks, two current Maryland players, multiple people close to the football program, and former players and football staffers spoke to ESPN about the culture under Durkin, particularly strength and conditioning coach Rick Court, who was one of Durkin's first hires at Maryland back in 2015. Among what they shared about the program:

• There is a coaching environment based on fear and intimidation. In one example, a player holding a meal while in a meeting had the meal slapped out of his hands in front of the team. At other times, small weights and other objects were thrown in the direction of players when Court was angry.

• The belittling, humiliation and embarrassment of players is common. In one example, a player whom coaches wanted to lose weight was forced to eat candy bars as he was made to watch teammates working out.

• Extreme verbal abuse of players occurs often. Players are routinely the targets of obscenity-laced epithets meant to mock their masculinity when they are unable to complete a workout or weight lift, for example. One player was belittled verbally after passing out during a drill.

• Coaches have endorsed unhealthy eating habits and used food punitively; for example, a player said he was forced to overeat or eat to the point of vomiting."

These stories continue to make me super proud to have Coach Malzahn. Unreal what's going on out there.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

The belittling, humiliation and embarrassment of players is common. In one example, a player whom coaches wanted to lose weight was forced to eat candy bars as he was made to watch teammates working out.

tumblr_mzuahekbZX1toamj8o2_r1_500.gif

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Extreme verbal abuse of players occurs often. Players are routinely the targets of obscenity-laced epithets meant to mock their masculinity when they are unable to complete a workout or weight lift, for example. One player was belittled verbally after passing out during a drill.

tumblr_msxhbnbTi71r8bxs1o1_500.gif

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Full Metal...........................................you piece of $%#@

THEY'RE PAYING FOR IT...YOU EAT IT!!!

Durkin placed on administrative leave and Matt Canada named interim coach per Washington Post. 

Anonymous sources can be dangerous, but they also serve a purpose. Anyone in power(including coaches) love to keep a lid on anything that may be detrimental to their image. Always a chance a disgruntled coach or player could put out something untrue, but it seems more times than not the unnamed source has reason to fear retribution by putting his name to the claim.

Guy has only been there two years....so was this his "style" before Maryland...and why did this not come to light last year when there had to be "beat writers" covering the team.?   Not defending the guy 'cause I have no idea, but I'm always suspicious about stuff that just seems to pop up our of nowhere. 

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

Guy has only been there two years....so was this his "style" before Maryland...and why did this not come to light last year when there had to be "beat writers" covering the team.?   Not defending the guy 'cause I have no idea, but I'm always suspicious about stuff that just seems to pop up our of nowhere. 

True. A player did die under that leadership though. Muschamp better have good information before sticking his neck out for his friends.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

True. A player did die under that leadership though. Muschamp better have good information before sticking his neck out for his friends.

Muschamp is an idiot for commenting on it at all. But Ive always thought he was a just a foulmouth idiot, so I may not be the one to ask

Nothing wrong w CWM saying anything. The reporter asked the question. CWM made his statement. Next question. I am a fan of CWM on and off the field though...

He's kinda right too. The first thing he said was about critizing in general. I like the approach, "critize the performance, not the performer" 

48 minutes ago, AUallday said:

Nothing wrong w CWM saying anything. The reporter asked the question. CWM made his statement. Next question. I am a fan of CWM on and off the field though...

He's kinda right too. The first thing he said was about critizing in general. I like the approach, "critize the performance, not the performer" 

this might be a case where you can not separate the two.....

I disagree, if a DE can use speed and bull rush then yelling at him to improve his hand placement is an example. It makes his rush a little better.

Thats why i said the first thing. He is speaking in general terms of yelling at a players performance. If he is doing something way wrong then the yelling amps up a little...nothing wrong with loud coaching.

The other part he stated was personal to him.

@ellitor    retweeted this comment.

Aug 13

I once asked someone at Wisconsin — one of the most media-friendly programs — why they are the way they are. His answer? “It’s just football, Matt. We’ve got kids trying to cure cancer on this campus.” How refreshing.

In response to Dan Wolken article on the dangers of cloaking a program in secrecy

Looks like the first domino has fallen:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bs-sp-maryland-football-rick-court-20180814-story,amp.html

“Amid reports of a toxic coaching culture, the University of Maryland has parted ways with football strength and conditioning coach Rick Court, athletic director Damon Evans announced at a news conference Tuesday.

Archived