approach for the new redshirt rule

aubiefifty

Auburn Football

How Auburn is approaching the new 4-game redshirt rule

Updated Aug 12, 7:15 PM; Posted Aug 12, 7:15 PM

Auburn defensive tackles Alec Jackson (92) and Dontavius Russell (95) both redshirted as true freshmen.  (Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics)

5 shares

By James Crepea

jcrepea@al.com

Roster management will become easier in some aspects and more difficult in others as teams adjust to the new four-game redshirt in college football.

At the very least, the rule change will keep true freshmen engaged, as they'll have a chance to play in multiple games during the course of the season as opposed to spending the year as glorified tackling dummies on scout teams.

"The hardest thing about being a freshman is if you're here as a freshman after you get through fall camp school starts and now you're playing," Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele said. "That's a hard way of life for a freshman, who obviously was recruited at a high level in the SEC and then all of a sudden he's not playing. Everybody's asking him back home why he's not playing. Well, he doesn't know that now. He can't say 'well I'm redshirting' because you never really redshirt until the end of the year anyway, that's when you officially turned it in, but if you hadn't played in the first six games it's probably a pretty good indicator."

The short-term benefit of younger players getting a chance to play more and relying less on the players on the two-deep in less competitive situations is obvious, but the long-term benefit will come years down the line in the additional development of freshmen who got to play in four games but still redshirted.

Auburn's freshmen offensive linemen and linebackers would've been unlikely to see the field this season due to the depth in front of them, but the new rule will allow them all to play and preserve the year of eligibility.

"It gives you a lot more flexibility from a coaching standpoint," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. "You're always thinking about from a depth standpoint too and this could definitely help you as far as that. ...

"I think anytime somebody has the idea that they could be playing on the field their attention to detail is going to be higher. Outside of the two-deep, that's really what you go with, but the fact that it will allow you depth I think is a positive."

Auburn's coaching staff has discussed how best to utilize the new rule to its advantage this season, with the possibility of wide receivers Eli Stove and Will Hastings each returning from torn knee ligaments chief among the options.

Less than five months after tearing anterior cruciate ligaments, Stove and Hastings have each been limited participants during fall camp. It's unclear when they'll return, but the new rule combined with the first impressions Auburn's four true freshmen receivers have made thus far has helped ease concerns at the position compared to the spring.

"I think it's a situation that for each person it might fit different depending on what position they play, but I think it allows us some flexibility, especially early in the season to find out 'OK, is this guy really ready to play or not?" offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said. "... Maybe we have to use some guys early in the season until we get those guys back. Different scenarios can play out by position, but I think it's a good rule and I think it's something that will help college football."

Steele said there is a plan in place for utilizing the redshirt for defenders, but it will vary. Some players may get more chances early, other may need to develop in practice and play more later during the season.

"There's nobody specific yet," Steele said, "it's just a plan of we could do this, we could do this, we could that. So it's important."

Then there's always going to be the predicament of whether to burn a players' redshirt, which previously was done by playing one game, but now would mean they're likely proved themselves worthy of playing in a fifth game or more in a season.

That would be a good problem to have.

James Crepea is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @JamesCrepea.

I love this new rule! I like that freshman can’t slow down all year in preparation because they could come in and play from game one or game 15!

"At the very least, the rule change will keep true freshmen engaged, as they'll have a chance to play in multiple games during the course of the season as opposed to spending the year as glorified tackling dummies on scout teams."   If this helps them keep engaged then great but if they're the type of player who doesn't have the drive to practice hard when they don't think they'll play then that's the same guy who will take a play off when it's not coming to him. That can cost a team big-time. I like the rule but it won't make a difference for any player who is not engaged daily IMO. It will pay huge dividends for some to gain the experience and also the regulars that this allows to get off the field during non critical games. 

I would play those kids hearts out against cupcake teams. Any live playing time is immeasurably valuable to these kids. War Eagle. Just think, you could let a RS Freshman QB show what he has against two cupcake teams and see how they handle things. Very exciting.

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I would play those kids hearts out against cupcake teams. Any live playing time is immeasurably valuable to these kids. War Eagle. Just think, you could let a RS Freshman QB show what he has against two cupcake teams and see how they handle things. Very exciting.

Yeah, definitely depends on position. Like, our OLs need as many reps as they can get for the first half of the season, probably. And with Stove and Hastings out, R. Davis and Slayton are the only returning receivers with meaningful catches between them, so Stidham needs to rep with the WRs, too.

Plus some of these older guys have been around and earned the right to have some fun in some of these games and maybe even get their stats up for awards and draft considerations and such. 

There's a lot to consider, but it's exciting to see how they're used. Maybe we can even shuffle them in and out on special teams and get their feet wet and rest some starters that way. 

Many programs play a ton of truefrosh and never seem to worry about red-shirting, other programs manage their rosters differently.  I really like the new rule and think it benefits the young players.

12 minutes ago, keesler said:

Many programs play a ton of truefrosh and never seem to worry about red-shirting, other programs manage their rosters differently.  I really like the new rule and think it benefits the young players.

Benefits the players,  benefits the coaches, benefits the fans... no-brainer, IYAM. 

Will be interesting to see if it benefits any of the teams with shallower benches any more than the deeper rosters. I don't think it's going to help a Vandy beat a bama, but maybe some of those teams that can't rotate as much are playing just a tiny bit fresher and healthier at the end of the season, whereas deeper teams won't really be getting too far past their normal 2-3 deep. 

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

"At the very least, the rule change will keep true freshmen engaged, as they'll have a chance to play in multiple games during the course of the season as opposed to spending the year as glorified tackling dummies on scout teams."   If this helps them keep engaged then great but if they're the type of player who doesn't have the drive to practice hard when they don't think they'll play then that's the same guy who will take a play off when it's not coming to him. That can cost a team big-time. I like the rule but it won't make a difference for any player who is not engaged daily IMO. It will pay huge dividends for some to gain the experience and also the regulars that this allows to get off the field during non critical games. 

I think you are taking the quote a bit out of context to be fair. It is always going to be different when you actually have a chance to get in the game versus being on scout team . It is no different than an employee who is on orientation vs one who is not. Both are engaged in their work , but the mindset is a tad bit different when the accountability is your own.

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think you are taking the quote a bit out of context to be fair. It is always going to be different when you actually have a chance to get in the game versus being on scout team . It is no different than an employee who is on orientation vs one who is not. Both are engaged in their work , but the mindset is a tad bit different when the accountability is your own.

Fair point and I probably did take it too literally.  Just thinking along the lines of if you practice well then you play. If you play well then you keep playing. ?

• WarTiger changed the title to approach for the new redshirt rule

Hopefully we can use it to give some starters more recovery time when they get those minor nagging injuries.  Much easier to rest them when you know you aren't burning a redshirt to do it.

Archived