2018 Fall Camp - 8/13/18

RunInRed

6 hours ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I'd be "ok" with the wildcat if it's Boobie but i'm not interested in anymore Cox experiments in the wildcat. Let Cox do what he does best and block and toss him a pass or two on the wheel route. I really hope they give the young RBs some reps b/c knowing how Gus is regarding trust issues and riding just 1 RB, i'm afraid Gus may see Cox as our 2nd RB just b/c our other RBs are young. I understand that blocking schemes can take a little time for freshman RBs to pick up but i think we have some talented guys in Asa and Boobie and they need to start getting game reps in whenever they can...not Cox. It seems like each year, true freshmen are coming into college more and more prepared to contribute day one.

I think Cox actually took a lot of direct snaps in high school. He's probably more versatile (and less of a natural blocker) than how he's been used at Auburn. The Cox Cat fiasco was on Gus, not Chandler. He was just running the plays he was given.

My question to @corchjay is what does the alignment look like if Cox is lined up behind the center? Typically he'd be lined up as a blocker behind the TE, right? Do we bring in a big slot guy like Canella or McClain to fill that spot? 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Random question, but why are all of the practices being held inside? It's a semi-serious questions because I've seen alot of teams cramp up during the first couple of weeks of the season because they're not used to the tempo and heat. I'm sure some of you can relate with me about two-a-days in August during our highschool football years. I'm not complaining about it, but genuinely wondering why.

4 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Random question, but why are all of the practices being held inside? It's a semi-serious questions because I've seen alot of teams cramp up during the first couple of weeks of the season because they're not used to the tempo and heat. I'm sure some of you can relate with me about two-a-days in August during our highschool football years. I'm not complaining about it, but genuinely wondering why.

I'm pretty sure the media viewing portion of practice are always held inside.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Well lookee here, @corchjay. Thanks for the practice report, @aubiefifty.

So the guy with 8 rushing attempts averaging 2 yards a carry in his career at Auburn is our go to for when we need an important 2-3 yards? Yikes.  Just scrap it at that point.  

Personally, I think our success at Wildcat in the previous couple of years was due to KJ and KJ alone.  It requires good patience and vision which was why he was successful last year.  If we can't pick up 2-3 yards without the Wildcat we have bigger issues.

28 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Maybe because our first game is inside 

20 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

So the guy with 8 rushing attempts averaging 2 yards a carry in his career at Auburn is our go to for when we need an important 2-3 yards? Yikes.  Just scrap it at that point.  

Personally, I think our success at Wildcat in the previous couple of years was due to KJ and KJ alone.  It requires good patience and vision which was why he was successful last year.  If we can't pick up 2-3 yards without the Wildcat we have bigger issues.

34 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Well you answered it yourself...  We need 2-3 yards, why not bring in a guy that averages 2 yards per carry for his career :)

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

Gotta keep the spies out of range.  

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just don't like the idea of the Wildcat this year and am ready to see it go. I stated my reasons in the Wildcat thread and not trying to derail this one.  I shouldn't have mentioned Cox's name or stats, wasn't mean to be a shot at him.

I did watch the highlights though and it shows he excelled catching the ball in HS as well.  Him and JS seem to have a connection in clutch situations and would love to continue seeing him get targets out of the backfield.

Thanks for the info!

I have settled on the OL starting 5 of Prince, Harrell, Kim, Horton, Driscoll   

I agree with what PTB said about CJBG about the mean streak, and I like it too.

I flirted with the idea of Horton at C and CA at RG briefly because of the "best 5" factor and that may happen at some point if we have an injury.

I think Trox and Ashley are the next 2 up whatever may happen on the line.  I dont know about Brahms' timeline, but I like his potential as well.

In a way I'm surprised to hear PTBs comments on the WRs.  With Stove and Hastings on the shelf, we knew we would have issues, but with RD, NCM, and DS all having positive Spring/Summers and our TFs getting rave reviews, I thought we were in pretty good shape at WR.  Not to mention guys like DB, HJ, and others who can be valuable pass catchers.   I guess the concerns are a "not yet realized potential" kind of thing?

BTW, PTB said "out for the season".  I was thinking that we were expecting both Stove and Hastings back at some point later in the season.  Has this changed? or our hopes aren't very realistic?

Thanks again for the info!

17 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

In a way I'm surprised to hear PTBs comments on the WRs.  With Stove and Hastings on the shelf, we knew we would have issues, but with RD, NCM, and DS all having positive Spring/Summers and our TFs getting rave reviews, I thought we were in pretty good shape at WR.  Not to mention guys like DB, HJ, and others who can be valuable pass catchers.   I guess the concerns are a "not yet realized potential" kind of thing?

BTW, PTB said "out for the season".  I was thinking that we were expecting both Stove and Hastings back at some point later in the season.  Has this changed? or our hopes aren't very realistic?

Thanks again for the info!

Gus is never forthcoming on issues like this. 

But I was also surprised about concern for the other WRs. I know that Stove and Hastings were serious contributors but I have a hard time believing that we can't trot out some reasonable facsimiles in their places. And with Slayton and Davis coming back, and NCM presumably getting at least a little better, and with the positive reviews on Canella, and as you said the TFs we have coming in... I mean, we're definitely losing some things, but it sure seems like we'll have more arrows in the quiver overall. 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think Cox actually took a lot of direct snaps in high school. He's probably more versatile (and less of a natural blocker) than how he's been used at Auburn. The Cox Cat fiasco was on Gus, not Chandler. He was just running the plays he was given.

My question to @corchjay is what does the alignment look like if Cox is lined up behind the center? Typically he'd be lined up as a blocker behind the TE, right? Do we bring in a big slot guy like Canella or McClain to fill that spot? 

Well all I've got to say is Gus better not take Cox's 360 spinneroo out of the game plan or I'm done. That'll be it for me. ;D

4 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

Well you answered it yourself...  We need 2-3 yards, why not bring in a guy that averages 2 yards per carry for his career :)

Good point...consider that Stidham averaged 1.5 ypc:dunno: last year.....  having him carry the ball is not a very good plan perhaps?  

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Good point...consider that Stidham averaged 1.5 ypc:dunno: last year.....  having him carry the ball is not a very good plan perhaps?  

Stid has some good runs.  He is capable.  That average is heavily skewed by 22 sacks (or whatever number it actually was)

9 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I certainly put it on Gus. But unless it's a 3rd or 4th down and 1 situation, Cox is limited in the WC. Teams know he's just going to run up the middle whereas you have someone like Boobie who can do multiple things out of the WC. Boobie can bounce it outside or even throw like KJ did. I don't like the WC but if we're going to run it...let it be with someone that's more versatile than Cox. I do think we should target him 1 or 2 times a game in passing situations b/c often times last year teams completely forgot about him and he was pretty open. I do agree he's more athletic than simply a blocker..just not as working in the WC b/c he'd be pretty predictable. 

5 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

Just don't like the idea of the Wildcat this year and am ready to see it go. I stated my reasons in the Wildcat thread and not trying to derail this one.  I shouldn't have mentioned Cox's name or stats, wasn't mean to be a shot at him.

I did watch the highlights though and it shows he excelled catching the ball in HS as well.  Him and JS seem to have a connection in clutch situations and would love to continue seeing him get targets out of the backfield.

Agree 100%. I think he does well catching the ball. Get him 1 or 2 passes a game b/c he's often overlooked by defenses.

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Stid has some good runs.  He is capable.  That average is heavily skewed by 22 sacks (or whatever number it actually was)

True but if you watch him run you will note that he is neither fast not powerful ...and not who I would have carrying the ball on short yardage situations. Chip is wildcat oriented so expect we will see it again this year.

Looks like they've settled on what I have been expecting all along for our starting OL. I know Driscoll is new to our offense but he probably has more starts (and maybe more meaningful snaps) than the rest of our line combined.  Our OL is so thin on experience we really need his maturity. Ashley and Trox are the future but I feel better right now with current first team guys.

Archived