Cannella brings different element

aubiefifty

19 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I've recently thought that the drops should be included in a QB's stats.  

Should a QB go 5 of 20 looks pretty bad. But 5 of 20 with 5 drops paints a different picture.

I'd be for that stat. I know drops happen but drops that could have extended a drive frustrate the crap out of me. ?

On 8/14/2018 at 5:12 PM, keesler said:

Lord, I hope that's not true and it's a situation where Gus just hasn't found the right personnel.....  I just always like to see a big ole TE that can lay the wood when needed, and drag across the middle to make a catch in a mis-match situation.  The NFL offenses are favorable to TE's as well.

This may also be a "trust" issue with Gus though - you want a seasoned QB/TE with good chemistry to run those plays, especially in the big time games when you need them most.

I think I read this on a pay board, but do think it was not a poster's speculation, I think it was a comment that was reported.

Regardless, this does not worry me because this is something coaches deal with all the time when dealing with standout high school and JUCO players. I am also sure NFL coaches have to deal with this given the level of competition in NFL defensive secondaries compared to the NCAA.

I am sure with the reduced contact in practice, this is a more challenging behavior to change today.

Some players make the transition to the next level, some don't.

We all know a TE in Gus' offense of yesteryear can be seriously dangerous - and in the HUNH/fast paced offense like he used to run it could be lethal.  I want to see that in the worst way - hopefully Cannella is the man to get it done.

Sal's more big-bodied slot receiver than true tight end or even H-back. In fact, I don't really consider him a tight end at all. That's Jalen Harris.

Sal's just got to catch the ball. I'm confident he'll get his early chances again and if he catches them this time, he'll be a weapon all season. Especially in the red zone. 

Interesting stat from CCL's last season at ASU that has less to do with Sal, IMO, than what we might expect from the TE position once we get Deal and/or Fromm into the rotation: the 3 guys listed as TEs on the ASU roster in 2016 combined for 6 touchdowns... from 12 catches on 18 targets at 15.5 yards per catch. Again, I don't know much, but that seems like very efficient- if not profuse- use of the TE position in the redzone.

IMHO Sal is going to have a good season. This kid has all the tools to be a good receiver, with size being his best asset. I look for him to be a much larger part of the offense in 2018. We shall see...

He still has 2 full years left to play including this one. He has time to turn his reputation on the field around. It sucked he couldn't catch last year but if the issue isn't that he was just born with poor hands then I think he will be an improved player this year.

12 minutes ago, Tiger said:

He still has 2 full years left to play including this one. He has time to turn his reputation on the field around. It sucked he couldn't catch last year but if the issue isn't that he was just born with poor hands then I think he will be an improved player this year.

Out of likes. But you make a good point. He didn't get here with a track record of not catching footballs. 

On 8/14/2018 at 12:45 PM, aucanucktiger said:

Sals height, college weight & playing style remind me of Tubberville era TE Robert Johnson, who was also pretty underutilized until one day he caught everyones attention by hurtling a DB after a catch. Left us after his junior yr - wasnt NFL ready. 

Robert Johnson? I do not see the comparison at all as far as height, weight and playing style. Johnson was more of the prototypical wide TE. Sal is more of a hybrid. In my recollection, nothing like Johnson. Uzomah maybe, but not Johnson.

If Sal makes the most of his first few opportunities, he will be another weapon.   He caught everything in camp last year and then dropped a couple of easy ones in the game and lost his mojo.  Hopefully he can get it back, because it sure looked like they had a plan for him and he was always open.

Archived